Sponsored by:

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 03:57 PM
CO997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Just pulled the car out of the garage and noticed a yellow stain on the ground. Took a look under the car and noticed a very slow drip. It looks like ithe coolant is coming out from under the panel on the pass side practically right under her seat. So the front pass side radiator is leaking? Maybe a fitting or hose is loose? I just passed 2300 miles, the car has been running perfect, temps always in the same range with no issues. Anyone else run across this with their car?
Old 12-19-2004, 04:56 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of this happening on 986s and 996s, so it's probably the same thing. You might do a search on the 996 or Boxster board archives to see if there is anything you can fix yourself. I would not recommend driving it as it could get worse and cause significant damage. Make Porsche flat-bed the car to the dealer.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:19 PM
CO997
Racer

Skip,
Thanks for the tip. I'll give those boards a check and see what I can find. I've been reading your other topic and am really sorry you are having such a difficult time. I really hope it all works out for you. I'm pretty sure I'll take your advice and have it put on the flat bed, especially since I'm about 90 minutes from the closet dealer. Does make for pain though with trying to get a loaner. Seems they won't bring a tow truck and a loaner to my house. Guess that would make it too easy for ME.
On another note I've been trying to make it to Colorado, either the springs or Denver area for a perm move. How much realistic drive time are you getting there during a typical year, assuming you don't drive in snow.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:43 PM
infestation
Instructor

FL997,

When I took delivery in early September, one of the coolant lines (apparently, there are two) running to the front of the car had not be inserted all of the way at the factory. In the 997, these two coolant lines are not screwed down or in (or anything like that)--they click and turn. That's what I have been told anyway. Needless to say it was only a matter of time before one of the lines pulled out and my car dumped its fluid. I immediately shut it down and had it towed (not something you like doing with a new car, much less any car for that matter). My dealer promptly fixed the problem.

Since then, I have put nearly 6,000 miles on the car.

Saturday morning, like you, I noticed a coolant leak, this time from the car's rear. There was still plenty of coolant left, though, so I drove the car to the dealer. The mechanic ordered the parts necessary to fix the problem (He said the previous problem could have burned a seal?), emptied and re-filled the coolant container, then said it would be okay to drive until the parts came on Wednesday. I said, "Don't think so because I don't want to run the risk of having to have the car towed again." The dealer's loaners are all out but they said they can give me one Wednesday morning, if the parts don't come in.

Hopefully, both of our cars will get fixed promptly. This is a minor inconvenience and I must note that I really love this car.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:00 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Just had another coolant leak on my 996...Cap had to be replaced for the 3rd time!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
Just had another coolant leak on my 996...Cap had to be replaced for the 3rd time!!!
Expect a 4th... sounds like you got a leaky bottle and you have to do the bottle repair... I really hope your coolant is leaking onto the driveway and your not just noticing a low coolant level... if that's the case then you got "sleeve" problem....

good luck
Pete
Old 12-20-2004, 07:46 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I noticed it on the garage floor before and they replaced tank under warranty. This time they said it was the cap? it was leaking on the floor this time too, but only a little here and there not a large puddle or anything.

Fun stuff!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:50 PM
CO997
Racer

I just heard from the dealer. he said one of the hoses was bad so they replaced it. Not sure what "exactly happened" so I'll find out when I get to the dealer. I did get a CS for the last day as a loaner. I've not had much seat time in one and found it so be a lot of fun. Anyway off to the dealer to see what happened to my car. I'll let you all know when I get back tonight.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:54 AM
CO997
Racer

So I picked the car up yesterday. Seems that the coolent line was not installed properly from the factory. There is a metal piece at the end with "notches" in it that goes into a metal spring. Apparently the top portion was in but the bottom part was not put in right. So eventually when pressure would build up it would start to leak. I drove it home pretty hard and spent some time on th highway as well and did not see any puddles last night or this morning when I went to check on it, so, that's good. Only problem now is that my car smells a bit like anti-freeze, anyone have any good methods for getting that smell out?
Old 12-22-2004, 11:07 AM
infestation
Instructor

FL997,

The exact same thing happened to my car when I originally took delivery at the factory. You would think they would pay special attention to make sure those coolant lines get plugged in properly.

Hopefully today, I should hear about whether or not the parts have come to fix my car. I hope so. Otherwise, I'll be picking up a loaner.

I don't really have any ideas for getting rid of the smell.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:47 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FL997
Only problem now is that my car smells a bit like anti-freeze, anyone have any good methods for getting that smell out?
FL, there may be better ways to get rid of smell, this loooks good as any
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...2655807-1.html
(click on all sub-posts within link)

Last edited by stan523; 12-22-2004 at 01:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-23-2004, 12:08 AM
infestation
Instructor

Autobahn fixed the coolant issue today, but I didn't pick it up so I don't have a record yet of what they did exactly. At some point, probably last Friday, I picked up a nail in my right rear tire, which Autobahn is going to take care of tomorrow or on Friday morning. Hopefully then I will get my car. Right now, I have a Cayenne S for a loaner, which is a very nice ride.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:19 PM
infestation
Instructor

Default Re:

I picked my car back up around noon today, and I must say that it feels good to be back in my 997. It puts a grin on my face every time I drive it. (On a side note, it was my first time to drive a Cayenne and I definitely was impressed. It's a great vehicle!)

My dealership fixed everything but instead of typing out or trying to explain exactly what they did, I'm going to post a scan of the service sheet for future reference, in case anyone else ever experiences the same problem:

I hope that everyone has a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2004, 05:46 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a very thorough mechanic. Too bad the builder of the pump originally was not as thorough.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:35 PM
CO997
Racer

So far so good with mine. I've seen no further leaks anywhere and finally the coolant smell is going away. I hope everyone else gets theirs fixed in time for Xmas.
Happy Holidays

Quick Reply: Coolant leak