Sponsored by:

Opinions on following options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on following options?

My dealer is trying to suggest (not pursuade *!*) that the following options should be considered, should I choose to buy a 997/997S.

XCZ = short shifter
(Q. How notchy is it? How valuable for mostly street driving?)

XLF = sports exhaust
(Q. Is it worth waiting for? It's great on my 996 C4S, but apparently delayed for 997S)

460 = sports wheel in smooth leather
(Q. What is the difference between std and smooth leather?)

XPA = sports wheel with thicker rim and smooth leather
(Q. How much thicker and how relevant for mostly street driving?)

Anybody bought any of these? Anyone looked at and consider any of them and why passed?

MTIA
Old 12-19-2004, 11:20 AM
dysert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997S, I have the sport shifter, love it

I just picked my car up at the factory in Zuffenhausen with sport shifter. I love the short throw and the only adjustment I had to make was coming out of reverse. First is so close that if I was in a hurry I would end up in third. Having said that, I would order it again. It is a great option.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:55 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 544 Likes on 356 Posts

The 997S that I drove has the Short Shifter and it was smooth and an option I would recommend.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

XCZ: I read it is easy to after market and the normal 997s shifter is better than the 996 (I didn't notice this in my test drive)

XLF: I think this is worth it, but a local dealer said they could install it after market with the switch...soo...

460 and XPA dunno...

The XLF is only available on the 997S from the factory.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:23 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

These have all been discussed at length here - try doing a search and you'll find lots of information. In general, I wouldn't bother with any of them - no gain provided.

The shifter on the 997 is fantastic. Might you get a slightly shorter shift from the option? Yes. Do you need it? I think no. Personal preference - drive both and decide if it's worth it.

Exhaust - I wrote lots about this before. I wouldn't bother. Based on what everyone wrote, it came down to it being like a "Loudness" button on a stereo. The car doesn't perform any better, nor is the exhaust lighter. You spend $2400 plus tax so it sounds louder (but that you can push the button and be quiet again). On my M3 I did go aftermarket exhaust because I saved 20 lbs and the dyno says +12 HP. It's louder (though deeper) and I wouldn't care if it was or was not.

Steering wheel? I don't care what they put on it to turn the wheels - thick, thin, round, oval, square, whatever. If I can go left and right it's fine.

It all comes down to what you want, not what we think. I'm just giving you my brutally honest feeling on how my car will be equipped (my dealer will hate me - I won't buy on to any of the marketing options...)
Old 12-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I had read most of the threads on XCZ and XLF but thought it worth asking since people will have had more use and experience since the original posts.

My mulling over and discussing it with a P-driving friend have led me to not add any of the options. XCZ and XLF can both be added later if I change my mind. $750 for better leather on a steering wheel seems excessive, as does a fatter rim for $1050...

Now which wheel do I go for? Carrera Classic or Sport Design???
Old 12-20-2004, 01:18 AM
zacharie
Advanced

As RonCT suggested, it's your car, not ours!!! Choose what U like.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Zach - I guess the difference is I AM choosing what I like, but I also choose to ask people their opinions before making my decision. Don't you think this board serves that as part of its purpose? Thank you btw for your constructive contribution.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 AM
baboou
Instructor

Originally Posted by Le Chef
I had read most of the threads on XCZ and XLF but thought it worth asking since people will have had more use and experience since the original posts.

My mulling over and discussing it with a P-driving friend have led me to not add any of the options. XCZ and XLF can both be added later if I change my mind. $750 for better leather on a steering wheel seems excessive, as does a fatter rim for $1050...

Now which wheel do I go for? Carrera Classic or Sport Design???
My 997S came with Sport Design but I wanted the Carrera Classic. Unfortunately the dealership did not have any of the latter. I thought the Sport Design would "grow" on me but regretably not. So I'll be swapping them out for Carrera Classic some time next year. One thing I will say is that the Sport Design are a bitch to keep clean.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:04 AM
zacharie
Advanced

Sorry Le Chef, I didn't mean to hurt you.
You've wanted to hear the opinions of the contributors of this forum and get inspired from them as to nourish your point of view, and final idea of your perfect car, build as your very own image. I am sorry for not having understood that it is so meaningful to you; I understand that integrating us in this construction process, by our ideas, is in fact an honor that you are offering to us.
I had the feeling you weren't self confident about your choice and it annoyed me in some ways.
Please accept my apologies.

I'll read your future posts with more attention from now on. You know, I don't have many options on my car, but if I can personally be of any help to you by commenting about the selections I know about, I'll be happy to help you in a more constructive manner than my previous post.

zacharie
Old 12-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Paul523
Pro

last week saw the
Carrera Classics 19" for the first time
in the flesh
on a Guards Red 911S
at a dealer in Farmington Hills, Michigan...

Gorgeous wheels imo, I ordered them on my 911S build.

The 19" Carrera Classics really are distinctive and different
than the Carrera 18" wheels which are standard
on the 997 C2.....more 3-dimensional,
slightly concave rear wheels, convex on fronts,
really elegantly sculpted spokes.

You can definitely see the Carrera GT wheels' lineage
in the Carrera Classic 19's.

Huge openings to see the calipers and rotors,
hopefully won't attract vandals.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Merci beaucoup!

My order goes in today:
997 C2S
Y1 Seal Grey Metallic
AN Black Std Leather
M6A Black Mats - Porsche lettering
342 Heated Front Seats
P15 Power Seat Package
680 Bose High End Sound Package
22 Instrument Dials in Black
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
425 Rear Window Wiper
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
405 Carrera Classic Wheel

I've been told it's a January build, so I'm guessing late March delivery.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:00 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a few comments on some of the options...

I've known a few people that own 911 variants and nobody likes or would order the rear wiper. Hopefully some others will chime in here on this subject.

Love the Carrera Classics...

Sport Chrono is one item I originally thought I wanted and then backed off. A few things pushed me away: Wart on the dash and no performance gain. Yes, they remap the throttle response, but that doesn't equate to any gain. The lap timer - I track and even I would find no use for it.

I've read a few reviews about the standard seats - not being that comfortable over long distances. I'll be going with the manual sport seats (don't need power as I'll be the only driver).

Haven't heard the difference between Bose vs. oem - I have heard, however, that the stock stereo is pretty nice...

Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2004, 02:00 PM
zacharie
Advanced

Hi Le Chef,

Your package is very good and I personally think that your combination is very wise and tasteful.
It seems to me that you've included all the necessary items of everyday life without the superfluous.
Your color combination is also really harmonious, combined with the Carrera classic wheels, the final result will manifestly be a winner. I like it and would not have done better...You have very good taste indeed. As some girls would say in Paris, "C'est très chic !!"

Congrats Le Chef ! I wish you very good luck and all the best to come with your dream car!
Old 12-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

The Sport Chrono feels qualitatively different, even if it doesn't make the car any faster, making it feel more alive. As to "The Wart" it would never get used for track timing, but I can live with it as "decoration".

I have the rear wiper on my C4S and it gets used with Chicago weather so thought it worth keeping.

I also have the standard seats in the C4s and drove almost non-stop from Chicago to Norfolk VA without pain: that's around 1000 miles. Admittedly the lumbar is what makes the difference. Without that the seats are not comfortable in the lower back for long distances. I looked at both the standard and adaptive sports seats and felt my shoulders were being pushed forward and inward. That didn't seem right to me. I plan on actually attending a few PDE sessions this coming year as opposed to just booking them and not being able to make it, but didn't feel that the standard seat was that bad an option for an occasional track user.

I listened to a car equiped with Bose and one with the standard setup and I could hear the difference, so thought it was worth it. Shame satellite radio is not an option...

Quick Reply: Opinions on following options?