Sponsored by:

Warning about gas quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 02:52 PM
rnlarctic997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning about gas quality

Thought I would use a new gas station for my Pcar on Monday...same brand( Amoco), just different location. Monday evening, got into the car and started it--all hell broke loose--the car bucked, smoked and the "check engine-visit workshop" light came on under the digital speedometer. I shut it down after about 15 seconds of this and called the dealer. Service manager said that this "check engine" warning has to do with the emmissions regulatory portion of the computer and that it should 'self correct' itself in a couple of days. He asked me if I forgot to screw the gas cap tightly--I said that I always make it a point to close it until I hear 3-4 clicks.

I suspected that I got a bad batch of gas at this station that I had never been to before. Two days went by--rough idle, but otherwise no major problems. I stopped by the dealer to have them check out my baby...their computer said "misfire" codes came up, indicating poor quality and/or low octane gasoline. The pump I was using said 93 octane, but who really knows what the hell was going into the car?! I do know not to fill up if you see a tanker truck filling the main tanks at the gas station...due to churning up water from the bottom of the holding tanks, but how are you supposed to know about the quality of the gas you are getting other than sticking to a particular brand.

Well, all is right again with the car. The light has not reappeared and I am happy once again. Just a warning...our 997's are very particular with gas quality...
Old 12-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to dredge up age-old topic,
but what did you switch to?

Shell V-Power 93 ? ( which I have read good things about recently
from independent analysts)
Old 12-16-2004, 08:26 PM
rnlarctic997
Rennlist Member

I haven't tried Shell--maybe I'll give it a whirl...there are several Shell stations handy to my home/work. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:32 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Shell. We only get the 91 out here If I am going to use a different brand then I try to buy from a higher volume station. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:30 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

2 brands - Chevron or Shell.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:00 AM
munro86
Racer

In Australia, Porsche recommends a Shell brand called "optimax". It has a 98 Octane rating.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:26 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I agree--Chevron or Shell--they both have good detergents in their high octane gasolines. I have used these 2 gas stations exclusively since I was 16 and have not had problems.

Quick Reply: Warning about gas quality