Sponsored by:

Boxster S faster than 997 S

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S faster than 997 S

In Top Gear's new test of the Boxster S vs. the SLK (which it crushed), it turned in a better time than the 997 S's, although the 997 was driven in the wet so not an even comparison, still the new Boxster S seems to be faster than the 996 TT and several other cars that didn't turn as good of a time around the test track. Stig rules!

Anyone have the video from this segment?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:39 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Dont believe the hype, cheaper models are not better performers that the more expensive ones, it just doesnt work that way.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

It all depends on the track. A tighter course will favor the lighter and more nimble (thanks to the mid-engine) Boxster over a car with more horsepower like the Carrera.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:46 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 914 Likes on 509 Posts

maybe the Boxster S coupe will be worth taking a look at, although they say on the new Boxster thread that the coupe will be priced higher then the drop-top? how could that be, the roof mechanism costs alot.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Interesting. I've never been to the Boxster boards, but would think Porsche would market the Boxster coupe at a lower price point to bring in those that want a Porsche sports car, but can't afford anything in the current lineup. I would also think this strategy could pull some Corvette, Elise, and M3 buyers looking to spend $50k. IMO, pricing it at ~$60k makes it a weak competitor with the inevitable comparisons to the Corvette, 350Z, and Audi TT. Not to mention, from there it's a small jump to the well-equipped $70k base Carrera.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many variables that you can dismiss this as sensationalist journalism. Track temperature, ambiant temperature, tire pressures, etc will all make huge difference to track times as any professional race driver will tell you. If both cars had been tested by Walter Rorhl in identical conditions on the 'Ring, then I would believe the result. Top Gear on the other hand is not a reliable source of data (not that they claim to be) as their tests are not under controlled conditions - it's just journalism.

Dream on if you think Porsche will market a cheaper car that will beat a more expensive one. That's just not business sense.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Hey I'm not saying in all conditions the Boxster S is better than the 997 S, but what I am saying is that the Boxster S performed really well in their tests and posted a time around their test track (which I think doesn't have a lot of long straights) that is among some of the best cars out there. All I am saying is not too shabby for the Boxster, and way to go!
Old 12-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Le Chef
There are so many variables that you can dismiss this as sensationalist journalism. Track temperature, ambiant temperature, tire pressures, etc will all make huge difference to track times as any professional race driver will tell you. If both cars had been tested by Walter Rorhl in identical conditions on the 'Ring, then I would believe the result. Top Gear on the other hand is not a reliable source of data (not that they claim to be) as their tests are not under controlled conditions - it's just journalism.

Dream on if you think Porsche will market a cheaper car that will beat a more expensive one. That's just not business sense.
Of course there are infinite variables, but it is very possible that the Boxster coupe will outshine the Carrera on a tight course. Your example of Walter Rohrl and his 'ring times is a good example of this; his times in a Cayenne Turbo matches those of the current Boxster S. It's due to the long straights and 450hp of the Cayenne vs 260hp in the Boxster S...not because the Cayenne handles as well as a Boxster S.

It could be a repeat of the 914-6 and 911T scenario back in 1970-71...the 914 handled better, but because it was so close in price to the cheapest 911 of the day, it was a poor seller. They say history repeats itself...
Old 12-15-2004, 03:14 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost Rider
the new Boxster S seems to be faster than the 996 TT

HUH????
Old 12-15-2004, 08:54 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been watching news on the Boxster Coupe since I saw a picture in R&T a while ago. Bringing back the RAW Porsche. Then, to top it off, a Club Sport version with no AC or radio...

I don't believe the rumor the coupe will cost more than the ragtop - that's just plain counter intuitive. Stamped steel roof vs. mechanical. What I could believe is the Club Sport costing more due to some upgraded components (brakes, engine, suspension, etc.).

I do sense the Boxster Coupe will be hard to beat on the track (1.2g cornering - imagine the speed you can carry through the twisties). The 997 is a great car - they've just thrown a bit too much Luxury at it for some of the old enthusiasts.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Paul523
Pro

This has been true for previous generation 996 vs. Boxster
for last couple years;
Boxster S had slower acceleration, but was better handler;

From mag's testing over 3 years' time--
Road & Track mag slalom speeds top handlers:

Ferrari Enzo 73 mph
2003 Boxster S 71 mph
2003 Porsche 911 68.xx mph
2003 BMW M3 68.xx mph

Old news...mid-engine superior balance is the trick.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:15 PM
HBacura
Racer

Originally Posted by JASCLASS
Dont believe the hype, cheaper models are not better performers that the more expensive ones, it just doesnt work that way.

I wouldn't say that...EVO vs. 996. GT3 vs. 360 Modena. Need I say more.

Edit: sorry were you talking about models within the same company?
Old 12-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With regard to pricing, the speculation is the coupe will cost more because they're beefing up the engine (perhaps to the 3.4L or even a "detuned" 3.6L?). So it would be a 300+ HP mid-engined "Club Sport" coupe called the Boxster GTS, priced between the Boxster S and the Carrera coupe.

I'm waiting for someone (like Ruf) to put the 3.8L 997 S engine into a Boxster. Such a car would have the perfect combo of power and mid-engine balance.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

cough cough . . . RS America . . . cough cough
Old 12-15-2004, 06:51 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

lol, what? I hope thats a joke, I would love to prove a 997 S owner wrong with my "cheap" Porsche

-Randy

Quick Reply: Boxster S faster than 997 S