Sponsored by:

Bumper repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 08:55 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Good luck.........BTW, paint they use is urathane based.....flex.
Personally.......I always ask the shop to give me a call before they reinstall........I run over to check color match, any runs/drips,spots....... and give em go-ahead.
Not happy?........then is the time to let em know.

Come back next day for thorough inspect & pick-up.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:59 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Idrake, I handle the repairs of this type for the two local dealers, as well as the PCNA cars when they come in for service. I am Porsche warrenty certified. The name of my business is Ultimate Appearance Inc. You can reach me @ 678-777-8622. This can be easily repair without painting the entire bumper skin, just takes skill in color matching and most repairs can be finished in less then one day.Please call Bruce Pinder @ Hennessy or Lee Smith @ Jim Ellis for referrals.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:38 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

rn
It's ever so slight, I think it's worth a try.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:08 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Repainted front and rear bumper on my old Boxster and could never tell the diff. Finding the best painter is the trick. I am like you and it would drive me crazy if I didn't fix it.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 AM
edburgueno
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weld abs

It seems most shops just want you to buy a new bumper. This video show how to weld abs. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=pmTWCzJbNBw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpmTWCzJbNBw
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

First of all DO NOT take the advise of the dealer as if it's gospel. Usually whoever they want you to go with has more to do with their self-interest than their interest in you!!

Investigate....look at references on line....call the owner....visit the shop....see what it looks like. Even for something small....it always pays to use the best! Believe me I know!

Best regards,

Tom
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

About 14 years ago I trusted a dealership that damaged my rear bumper when my car came in for it's first oil/filter at 2,500 miles. They assured me they had an expert bumper repair man they used at their dealership. I made the mistake of trusting them. When I went to pick the car up it looked like a 6-year-old had tried to paint the damaged back bumper. The dealership acknowledged it looked horrible and said, "This is the first time this has ever happened". They ended up pulling a bumper off a brand new car just off the truck and putting it on my car. I watched them do it. That made it right for me.

The moral of the story is that since then, I do not care what the damage is, the car goes to the shop I use for repair where I know it will be done correctly and to my standards.

Fast forward to last year - my wife put a mild curb rash on her MBZ wheel. The dealership said they use a shop that make it like new. Dismount tire from wheel, refinish rim edge and like new. I picked the car up and it looked terrible. They never dismounted the tire, you could see marks on the tire from tying to fix the rim and then they just kind of rounded out the square shoulder on this part of the rim. When they saw the "work" they said, "This has never happened before". I sold the car as it was and fought the dealership over the repair charge and won.

Moral of the above two stories- I never believe dealerships anymore. Both, by the way, were respected dealerships.

Quick Reply: Bumper repair