Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 10:24 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 915 Likes on 510 Posts

i've done xpel myself too on "simple" cars, but on a car like a 997, the shape is harder and thus the install is harder.

get the free video CD sent to you from xpel's website and you can watch the job being done.

$799 doesn't sound too bad. does that include hood, headlight, and front bumper protection? On the 911, they also have a kit for the forward facing part of the quarter panel at the rear wheels.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Sobe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you spend close to 100k on a car and try to save so little on the installation that will make or break the results . Even installers who do this every day can ruin an installation on the 911 curves . Getting the right person to do this is key .
Mike_A you say you did your 911 yourself ... tell me did it come out perfect ... no offense , but I doubt it .
Also the color of the car is important .. dark cars show even the slightest mistake .. but again this stuff is priceless if you drive your car in the real world and want to keep the paint nice .
Old 12-11-2004, 08:01 AM
baboou
Instructor

I just got an e-mail from Alan. Installation is $625 and takes about 3-4 hours. From what I have seen of the clear film installs it is almost invisible on light color cars. I had to look closely at an Artic Silver to find the film line across the hood. IMHO It is a bit more noticeable on darker colors.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Sobe
Pro

If you can get Alan to do it you are lucky , are you in the same city or what .
Old 12-11-2004, 08:17 AM
baboou
Instructor

He's not to far from my location - about one hour or a bit more. He indicated he would come to my house to do the work so long as I had a garage to work in. I'll probably get it done after the holidays.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:59 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Alfie at Ira quoted me $695 for the hood, bumper, mirrors, and fuel filler area. The price is no problem. I was just concerned with the appearance. It seems like most think it will look fine, and the protection is worth it. I'll have a 7 hour winter drive from Boston to State College, PA just driving the car home after picking it up. I'll probably have a year's worth of chips by the time I get home! At this point I'm leaning toward having it installed.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:57 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I had 3M custom installed on the bumper of my turbo. No visible seams and quite effective, BUT there are disadvantages:

- Overpriced for what you get, but the best installers are artists and worth it!
- The 3M film has an orange peel finish and does change the appearance of the bumper. Close scrutinizers have thought I had the bumper repainted! There are clearer films, but my installer advised me they resulted in visible "stretch marks" when worked into place.
-The film is not impervious. I have one unfortunate cut in the top of the bumper (of course). My best touchup attempt looks worse then I could have done on a painted surface.
-Juicy bugs will stain the film. They do fade but I still have a mark from summer!
- I've noticed several cars at the dealer for resale where they removed the film and repainted the bumper anyway.

I take one look at my daily drivers bumper however, blasted down to primer, and I know it's a must have!
Old 12-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Sobe
Pro

PA just driving the car home after picking it up. I'll probably have a year's worth of chips by the time I get home! At this point I'm leaning toward having it installed.
Put a bra on the car until you get the 3m material .
Old 12-13-2004, 04:18 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sobe
Why would you spend close to 100k on a car and try to save so little on the installation that will make or break the results . Even installers who do this every day can ruin an installation on the 911 curves . Getting the right person to do this is key .
Mike_A you say you did your 911 yourself ... tell me did it come out perfect ... no offense , but I doubt it .
Also the color of the car is important .. dark cars show even the slightest mistake .. but again this stuff is priceless if you drive your car in the real world and want to keep the paint nice .

Very true! Dark cars show the flaws even in the material and some people will notice it and others will not. If your car is a track or daily driver, you will probably overlook the material imperfections on a dark car and love the protection it offers but if your car is a concourse showpiece, you probably wouldnt' want it.

On lighter colored cars, it is almost invisible!

Quick Reply: Clear bra