Sponsored by:

Porsche Reveals New 911 Cabriolets for 2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
If he has a Ferrari, you'd think he could afford 18 bucks to for a rennlist membership.

But maybe he just had the 15,000 mile service.

As to changes with each iteration of the 911, yes, the styling evolves rather than displays dramatic changes.

But there are significant changes with each one when you get them on the track. Of course, some may not choose to experience that.
Some questions for your addled mind.

What is the best selling 911? Why? Is it because there was substantial change in style and engine?

Do you know the percentage of 996 owners who bought Porsche for the first time?

Do you know the percentage of 993-996 Porsche owners who track their cars?

Do you know who the most profitable car company is and why?

Finally does becoming a member lend credibity to the a post?
Old 12-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Slapdown?

More like a slap in the face to John Dunkle.

This is not his day job. He does it on the side. Do you have any idea of how much of his free time goes into to this. I assure you he is not motivated by profit. If he was, this would have been shut down long ago. Every day he has dozens, if not hundreds, of e-mails with people bitching about one thing or another. I'd bet it gets old for him as well.

There is nothing wrong with people coming on Rennlist and occasionally taking advantage of the knowledge and information on it. Even if they don't join.

Yes, each of us has a right to an opinion. Or even to act like a troll. But if someone wants to come on and continually slam Porsche, or act like a troll, I'd rather he pay for the opportunity.

"Despises"? Hardly.

I'll give you a break if you give John one.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Non-member Nick

Do you know what addled means?

Membership has nothing to do with the credibility of the post.

But membership, and the content of the post, tells me a lot about the character of the poster.

Do you have a credible reason for not being a member?
Old 12-04-2004, 02:40 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Slapdown?

This is not his day job. He does it on the side. Do you have any idea of how much of his free time goes into to this. I assure you he is not motivated by profit. If he was, this would have been shut down long ago. Every day he has dozens, if not hundreds, of e-mails with people bitching about one thing or another. I'd bet it gets old for him as well.

There is nothing wrong with people coming on Rennlist and occasionally taking advantage of the knowledge and information on it. Even if they don't join.

Yes, each of us has a right to an opinion. Or even to act like a troll. But if someone wants to come on and continually slam Porsche, or act like a troll, I'd rather he pay for the opportunity.

"Despises"? Hardly.

Yep, just like a thought. I expected a response like that - A FLAMER. Think I will hang out on renewing my membership for a while.

Thanks for helping me make that decision.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Justify it however you want
Old 12-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slapdown?

"Despises"? Hardly.

Very well said. I think more people on this board need to realize this.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Non-member Nick

Do you know what addled means?

Membership has nothing to do with the credibility of the post.

But membership, and the content of the post, tells me a lot about the character of the poster.

Do you have a credible reason for not being a member?
The word is in the dictionary. Buy one.

If your such a fan of racing and Porsche why not buy a recent model?

Maybe I cannot afford the $18 or maybe I choose not to or maybe I do not want to advertise the $18 every time I post.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Non-member Nick

I have three dictionaries. Just curious what in my posts led you to use "addled".

I can own any car I want. Including Ferraris.
I happen to like what I have, a lot. (The air cooled ones drive differently.) Although I'm on this board because I'm also interested in a 997. (By the way, I can tell the difference)

"Maybe I cannot afford the $18 or maybe I choose not to or maybe I do not want to advertise the $18 every time I post."

Tell you what.

If it's the first, I'll buy it for you.

If it's the second, you're a cheapskate.

If it's the third, you'd rather rationalize it than admit you're a cheapskate.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:14 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Justify it however you want

Yep, agree with ya. Justifying it as a person who has been a member here for some time but your turning my stomach. You could easily turn the stomachs of others that have been loyal here with such an attitude.

As for understanding the level of difficulty maintaining this site- I do, because it is an industry that I have lived in for almost 15 years. Further, I once offered Dunkle to host this site in one of my datacenters at no charge to bring the cost of maintaining it down...I got a "no thank you" without anybody first examining the award winning facility that was just passed on (No hard feelings, just a managment decision and I understand). However, I think you and others like you justify your $18 here with egregious slap downs on others becuase you believe 18 bucks buys you that right. I think that would be a disgusting club to join and would not personally or professional be a party to any like it.

Like I said, if John feels the work neccessary to maintain this list is beyond his ability to keep it in the public domain there are those of us who will support him in the paid private list as well. But I will not financially support a public list that has paid members that feel they have the right to cut-up non paid members to force them into membership. I am a member of various boards in the public domain (from EZ-Board to other Porsche Lists) and this is the ONLY LIST that has members that FREQUNTLY INDULGE in your abusive type of marketing behavior when it comes to this issue.

Take into consideration that your statements are hurting and not well absorbed by some members, past members, sponsors, potential sponsors, and some that have offered to make contributions to ease the efforts that John and others put into this. It is the absolute poorest example of marketing a product or service and I think you need to be prepared for back lash (not that you really even care) from former list members like me that are considering joining a club with an elitest attitute such as yours.

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 12-04-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Non-member Nick

I have three dictionaries. Just curious what in my posts led you to use "addled".

I can own any car I want. Including Ferraris.
I happen to like what I have, a lot. (The air cooled ones drive differently.) Although I'm on this board because I'm also interested in a 997. (By the way, I can tell the difference)

"Maybe I cannot afford the $18 or maybe I choose not to or maybe I do not want to advertise the $18 every time I post."

Tell you what.

If it's the first, I'll buy it for you.

If it's the second, you're a cheapskate.

If it's the third, you'd rather rationalize it than admit you're a cheapskate.
It is very charitable of you to pay for my dues. Please do. I never refuse money handed to me. I am no different than Porsche. They are just better at it.

You really need to learn to use a dictionary. Look under addle. That is as far as I am going to help you. Hopefully you drive your car better than you use the dictionary.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleNutz
However, I think you and others like justify your 18 dollars here with egregious slap downs on others becuase you believe 18 bucks buys you that right. I think that would be a disgusting club to join and would not personally or professional be a party to any like it.
My personal experience is: I have been surfing this board for a couple years. I decided to finally become a paying member after getting various helpful tips on my 2 PCars, and I believed that sort of help should be supported. I certainly have got my money's worth. I never got "slapped" before I was a member....and it seems those who do get slapped set themselves up for it (Ex. making a non-constructive criticism of the 997 on the 997 board)...then complain about it afterwards. Just my newbie .02. AK
Old 12-04-2004, 03:54 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CayenneAK
My personal experience is: I have been surfing this board for a couple years. I decided to finally become a paying member after getting various helpful tips on my 2 PCars, and I believed that sort of help should be supported. I certainly have got my money's worth. I never got "slapped" before I was a member....and it seems those who do get slapped set themselves up for it (Ex. making a non-constructive criticism of the 997 on the 997 board)...then complain about it afterwards. Just my newbie .02. AK

No difficulty with that position AK, I understand your point entirely. However, in my opinion, there needs to be more positive stroking to encorage new memberships and not the "troll trashing" of recent- it makes the list look terminally desperate and it is just nasty.

No doubt, if a troll (I just learned what a troll is yesterday) is a glutton for punishment the list has already posted in the rules that those abusers will be dismissed. However, each person here in this public domain is entitled to their opinion -good or bad as it relates to these cars, member or non member. It does not state in the list rules that non-members who disagree with the opinions of current list members are less credible and subject to a public flogging by paid list members.

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 12-04-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Soon to be member Nick

I know exactly what what addle means.

Which is why I wondered what prompted you to use it. You must be as loose with the language as you are miserly with money.

"It is very charitable of you to pay for my dues. "
Hey it's the season for that sort of thing. PM me your name, address and phone number. I'm sure John and Jenn will want it.

Nutz

There is no marketing effort here. (I have more years in marketing than you have in computers)

Just one persons opinion on when someone should pony up for a service.

I do think you should renew your membership if you're going to continue to post. BTW, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I have no problem with someone coming on here and occasionally getting help. I just think if someone is going to post on a specific board to rip the company or car, they should pay to do it. Sorry if I touched a nerve.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:17 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Talking

Soon to be member Nick

I know exactly what what addle means.

Which is why I wondered what prompted you to use it. You must be as loose with the language as you are miserly with money.

"It is very charitable of you to pay for my dues. "
Hey it's the season for that sort of thing. PM me your name, address and phone number. I'm sure John and Jenn will want it.

Nutz

Sorry if I touched a nerve.
Apology accepted and by the way, THAT WAS TOTALLY COOL! You're paying for his membership! SWEET way to encourage new membership and covet new relationships here. Not to mention you struck one more thing off your Christmas givinglist this year.

Mike in Chi...MUCH RESPECT to you!

Hey, uhhh while you're feeling generous and in the giving mood uhhh you wanna pony up a Christmans gift me too! (J/K)
Old 12-05-2004, 12:03 AM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhhhhhh......I like the cabrio....sorry to hijack the bitching posts

Quick Reply: Porsche Reveals New 911 Cabriolets for 2005