Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 PM
avelino
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonissimo
Thanks for the pictures Avelino!
How was the car on the track?!!!
The car was very good but the driver was really bad. In fact it was in the Interlagos track where we have the Formula 1 races. I had never driven there before and the circuit is really tricky. I was used to a 1998 C4 before, and I have a lot to learn with this car. There was another 997S in the track and he did very good times. I think I was still afraid of using the extra power and also of having the PSM disengaged below 70km/h in the sport mode. After slipping twice I decide to disengage the sport mode and use only the harder suspension mode. I think this is a less forgiving car in sport mode and it demands skills that you need training to acquire. So this is what I´m going to do. Taking driving lesons in Interlagos where most of our club events take place. However, in the hands of a skilled driver there is no doubt that the car is in the track a step ahead of the 996 generation. In the road, it is clearly much more confortable, much more satisfactory for long journeys. In the end, this is what Porsche is about, a car that you can enjoy both in the track and in the road. I had a skilled driver with me testing the car and he was very enthusiastic. He was used to the 996, and his most remarkable comment was that the 997 in sport mode really felt like a race car.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:15 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love hearing from folks all around the world where we can hear about all these great tracks. Thanks for the post
Old 11-29-2004, 09:21 PM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

Love the Basalt. Car looks great.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:17 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are all 997 Wide Bodies?

Also, does PASM without Chrono, give the car two or three settings?

tino
Old 11-30-2004, 04:05 PM
avelino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by avelino
The car was very good but the driver was really bad. In fact it was in the Interlagos track where we have the Formula 1 races. I had never driven there before and the circuit is really tricky. I was used to a 1998 C4 before, and I have a lot to learn with this car. There was another 997S in the track and he did very good times. I think I was still afraid of using the extra power and also of having the PSM disengaged below 70km/h in the sport mode. After slipping twice I decide to disengage the sport mode and use only the harder suspension mode. I think this is a less forgiving car in sport mode and it demands skills that you need training to acquire. So this is what I´m going to do. Taking driving lesons in Interlagos where most of our club events take place. However, in the hands of a skilled driver there is no doubt that the car is in the track a step ahead of the 996 generation. In the road, it is clearly much more confortable, much more satisfactory for long journeys. In the end, this is what Porsche is about, a car that you can enjoy both in the track and in the road. I had a skilled driver with me testing the car and he was very enthusiastic. He was used to the 996, and his most remarkable comment was that the 997 in sport mode really felt like a race car.
Got some relief from reading Martin Brundle's (ex-F1 driver)comments after testing a 997 Carrera S in the Dec issue of CAR magazine: "If unpredictability lights your fire, that's your car. In one corner alone, I had turn-in oversteer, midcorner understeer, then power oversteer on the exit. It's a right bitch on those tyres."
Then the editor comments: " Er, Martin, might be our fault. So smiten were the judges on day one that the 997 spent twice as much time on the track as any other car - mostly sideways - and the rubber is Kojak smooth."
Anyway, I think that when one moves from a Carrera 4 with 300 bhp to the 355 bhp Carrera 2 S, one needs to find his way around again in the track. It is no easy to regain confidence to dive in some corners flat down as one used to.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:13 PM
BD997
Racer

Originally Posted by avelino
Got some relief from reading Martin Brundle's (ex-F1 driver)comments after testing a 997 Carrera S in the Dec issue of CAR magazine: "If unpredictability lights your fire, that's your car. In one corner alone, I had turn-in oversteer, midcorner understeer, then power oversteer on the exit. It's a right bitch on those tyres."
Then the editor comments: " Er, Martin, might be our fault. So smiten were the judges on day one that the 997 spent twice as much time on the track as any other car - mostly sideways - and the rubber is Kojak smooth."
Anyway, I think that when one moves from a Carrera 4 with 300 bhp to the 355 bhp Carrera 2 S, one needs to find his way around again in the track. It is no easy to regain confidence to dive in some corners flat down as one used to.
hey Avelino is your car brindado?...it must be if your using it so often in public....
Old 02-12-2005, 09:01 PM
avelino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BD997
hey Avelino is your car brindado?...it must be if your using it so often in public....
Of course not...how should I pay this amount o money for a race car (it costs US$225.000.00 in Brazil, with the sport chrono option and leather throughout) and put on it the weight of an armor? I live in a small town and have no problems of violence around here.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Beautiful car. I really miss my black 996, I'm going back to black for the next p-car.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once you go black..

err...

Old 02-12-2005, 10:37 PM
BHANE
Advanced

Nice! Perfect candy shine
Old 02-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Tomaso
8th Gear

Cool Nice!

Avelino,

Very nice indeed! May I ask you what is your interior color? When first configuring my car, I seriously considered ordering Basalt Black. However, I wanted something that would properly match my Cocoa interior. I ended up going with Arctic Silver.

Nada como um novo Porsche, parabéns!
Old 02-13-2005, 08:57 AM
avelino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tomaso
Avelino,

Very nice indeed! May I ask you what is your interior color? When first configuring my car, I seriously considered ordering Basalt Black. However, I wanted something that would properly match my Cocoa interior. I ended up going with Arctic Silver.

Nada como um novo Porsche, parabéns!
Mine is black/black. In fact I didn't have much of a choice because I bought the car when it was already coming for the Sao Paulo Auto Show. If I had a choice I might have have ordered basalt black with a beige interior. But I am very happy the way it is.

Obrigado, também acho
Old 02-13-2005, 12:15 PM
BD997
Racer

hey Avelino...how much import tax are they charging these days...?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:24 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I love my blk/blk 997.....even when dirty!
Old 02-13-2005, 12:26 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Awesome...just awesome. I had a black M3, a Carbon Black M5, a Basalt Black Cayenne Turbo. Now that my back is out and my wallet empty from polishing and waxing, I decided on GT silver.

BUt, I gotta say that a clean, polished black car is freakin' awesome. Still the most incredible look...

Thanks for the pics...

Quick Reply: Pics of basalt black