Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Targa-Rumors Growing Stronger

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004 | 03:39 AM
sparetireless
Racer

Default 997 Targa-Rumors Growing Stronger

Some of the other boards have some photos, seems like a targa is in the works. Has anyone else heard anything on this?
Old 11-20-2004 | 04:11 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by sparetireless
Some of the other boards have some photos, seems like a targa is in the works. Has anyone else heard anything on this?
First I have heard. What about C4 rumors...any out there?
Old 11-20-2004 | 04:56 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

I will be amazed if they do it, but they might. The 996 Targa sales were extremely small and I think it is a very limited market, but I liked my two previous glasstops (especially the 993).
Old 11-20-2004 | 08:27 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DoubleNutz
First I have heard. What about C4 rumors...any out there?
The Top Gear episode of the 997 suggests there will be no C4. He explained that because the car drives so well, Porsche sees no reason to go awd on this model. Implication was the turbo would remain awd and I've read confirmation of that.

Who knows for sure though...
Old 11-20-2004 | 11:28 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

I also have doubts, considering the slow sales of 996 Targas. On the other hand, the 996 Targa was introduced just as the whole 996 market slowed to a crawl; at the time I bought mine I could make a great deal on virtually any 996, including Turbos.

I also think that the appreciation of the Targas has increased even after they were essentially discontinued. Most of my friends love my car and envy the Targa top. The sales guys and my service rep at the dealer say it's far and away their favorite normally aspirated 911 (and I don't think they're just being nice!). And for me, the Targa suits my desires perfectly; I wouldn't be as happy with a cab or a coupe.

I'll personally hold out on a 997 until it's clear whether a Targa will be produced. If it is, I'm afraid I'll be at the dealer cash in hand.
Old 11-20-2004 | 11:49 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RonCT
The Top Gear episode of the 997 suggests there will be no C4. He explained that because the car drives so well, Porsche sees no reason to go awd on this model. Implication was the turbo would remain awd and I've read confirmation of that.

Who knows for sure though...

Ugggggh, 2WD would just suck in the wet and snow in the mountains here. I guess I won't be sporting the 997 at the ski lodge huh?
Old 11-20-2004 | 11:56 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caf
the Targa suits my desires perfectly; I wouldn't be as happy with a cab or a coupe.

I am with you here. I've had the 993Cab...hated it! But, the coupe is fine for me and if I want the more open air experience (rarely) the targa would be it.
Old 11-20-2004 | 01:01 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

I would buy another one, miss my last one, great experience
Old 11-20-2004 | 02:07 PM
TLMTLM
Track Day

Two weeks ago my wife and I were driving up Highland here in LA in our 04 996 Targa, and about half a block in front of me was a new Targa with Beverly Hills Porsche paper dealer plates. It had a wide rear squat and the lower rear louvres of a Turbo, and twin chrome exhaust pipes. The color looked like Lapis Blue. I coudn't believe what I was seeing but we lost him in traffic and a light before I could catch up. Maybe I was seeing things but my wife confirmed it. Not sure what to make of this.
Old 11-22-2004 | 08:05 AM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

997 Targa is confirmed.

This weeks Autocar has spy shots of the new model.

It had been disguised but was clearly visible.
Old 11-22-2004 | 08:30 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DoubleNutz
Ugggggh, 2WD would just suck in the wet and snow in the mountains here. I guess I won't be sporting the 997 at the ski lodge huh?
Not so. RWD is just fine in the wet. Consider this - some Brit magazine that's really into Audi and BMW ran a dry and wet comparison of the M3 vs. the S4. Everyone on their staff thought for sure the S4 would eat the M3 for lunch in the wet. Guess what? The M3 killed the S4 in the dry and beat (not by a lot) it in the wet. My M3 has PS2s, which are far superior to even the PS1s that came with the car. The wet traction is amazing - very hot laps around the track in the pouring rain.

As to snow - RWD is just fine too with the proper tires. Not sure what winter packages will become available for the 997 (I'll find out soon enough next winter), but my M3 is just fine in the snow.

My personal opinion is that AWD in a 997 gets you little more than added weight.
Old 11-24-2004 | 02:51 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

My friend works for ///AMG and his wife is a sales executive in germany for PORSCHE - No Targa is going to be created on the 997 Platform, due to slow sales of the existing platform. Thus far she has always been right. I wish they would but judging by the sales of targa I think not.
Old 11-24-2004 | 04:37 PM
tahoeblue
Racer

I think they will produce a Targa since the roof of the 997 is the same as the 996 (as I understand it).

Also interesting that in post above Targa spy shots are already claimed.
Old 11-24-2004 | 05:06 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Why are you not listening ????

997 Targa is confirmed. Autocar have the photos.

If someone can explain to me how to scan in and attach I'll post the photos here.

Adrian
Old 11-24-2004 | 05:15 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Sorry guys, worked out how to upload but the pic was in last weeks mag and my wife has already thrown it out.

Any UK posters it's Autocar issue no. 46 16th November 2004. - In the front few pages with other spy shots is a white 997 Targa.

The rear side windows have been disguised with tape to look like the coupe but the distincive pointed corner is still visible. - You can see the roof quite clearly although this is also covered with tape. Also the wiper is different to the coupe, something to do with the opening rear screen (it has a straighter arm)

I hope someone else in the UK can back this up by uploading the photo. - It is for real honest!!!!

Quick Reply: 997 Targa-Rumors Growing Stronger