Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Hard do you drive your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 01:18 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about poor gas milage driving it so hard?

I bought mine for the great fuel economy it offers...

We are all just giving you the business for fun. Now you know so go enjoy the heck out of the boxster until your real Porsche arrives...........
Old 11-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Weissy
Instructor

So if you guys are on the highway doing 75 mph...... Are you in 4th gear to keep the rpms up or are you in 5th or 6th?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:42 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good points - there are things you should and should not do...

Making sure the engine is up to operating temperature is a key one. My M3 has a light-bar system that tells you when the engine is coming up to temperature and the lights are at the RPM marks so that when the light at say 5500 goes off, it's safe to use 5500, and on and on to 8k. I don't really go by that as much as I do the engine oil gauge.

Break in was another item where I was careful. 1200 miles is the suggestion from the factory (P-cars are different I'm sure), then I ramped up from there until I was using 8k. Just didn't want to over-stress the engine too soon.

As a result, now at 28k miles, I have a very strong and tight engine. While many M3 owners are complaining about oil consumption, I've not lost a drop.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:34 AM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

I am not "flaming" you. I come off way more serious than i am and that's just my cynical nature. But you really do not have to treat these cars that way. These are amazingly well built engines that can easily handle high redline action. Warming it up properly (10 -15 mins) and taking care of it as instructed to and it will last longer than you will drive it, even at redline everyday.
Many engineers spent many hours ensuring your car could handle it. Please validate their efforts
Old 11-13-2004, 07:54 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joshbw@erols.com
So if you guys are on the highway doing 75 mph...... Are you in 4th gear to keep the rpms up or are you in 5th or 6th?
My gearing is different, but when I'm cruising I'm in 5th or 6th - no need to keep the RPMs high when just rolling down the highway. It's the getting up to speed. Picture this: At a stop sign at the start of a twisty highway ramp. 1st to redline, 2nd to redline, 3rd until 85 MPH - fine speed to merge onto the highway. Settle back down to say 75, throw it into 4th. Once happily in your lane and have your surroundings in check, up to 5th and then 6th for the long trip to wherever.

Just love that music!
Old 11-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Robert_325i
If you drive your car hard from day 1 then there is a high possibility that your car will have more than the advertised power. For example I have heard that couple of people with GT3's who drive their cars hard dynoed considerably more RWHP than the people who babied theirs. I for example drove my G35 hard from day one and dynoed 257 rwhp. Other people witht he same car who babied theirs dynoed 220-235 rwhp on the same dyno day. So drive it like you stole it except when its cold.
You mean even during the first 1,000 miles?
Old 11-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Its_Lobelt
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by c70Pete
You mean even during the first 1,000 miles?
No and Yes. Let me explain.

During first 1000 miles I redlined once or twice a day not more and not less. I only did this when the car was fully warmed up.

After the break in I just do a 1,2,3 redline to get on the freeway every day and every chance I get.

My friend on the other hand got the same car and redlined every chance he got even during break in. Now his car is crazy fast. Keeps up with mine just fine.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

generally keep it in 4th to keep the revs high , drop it to third for agressive overtaking, this is at around 60-70mph.

5th in my opinion of for achieving speed, and 6th is for pure cruising, never gotten fast enough to use it in any car from a speed perspective.

i have an E46 m3 as well, and on the highway, i always keep it in 6th, it has alot of torque, and plus its geared low, so thats the best solution to keep sound down, not much power loss as a result.

cheers
Old 11-14-2004, 12:34 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest that you sit as a passenger with someone who really pushes their car. That way you'll see how high is up. You're probably subconciously taking it easy because you think that it will hurt the car.

Quick Reply: How Hard do you drive your 997?