Sponsored by:

997 Safety Tests

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Jared W.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Safety Tests

I am looking for any saftey information on the 997; I haven't been able to find anything through my own searching. If anyone has any information about the 997 (crash tests, safety system information, comparisons to other vehicles, etc.), I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks !
Old 10-07-2004, 09:36 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

In the past I have heard that Porsche keeps that information private and do not brag as to how well the tests go. I have seen pictures of those tests and this safety factor has not been a consern to me as I know the cars are well engineered and built. I just hope I'm right.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to www.hwysafety.org and look at the site. It has a LOT of info on crash tests, but I don't think any of the agencies has tested a Porsche. However, they also have the HLDI (Highway Loss Data Institute) records of actual injury frequency reported to insurance companies -- "real world" data. Play around on the site, looking for links to "injury, collision and theft losses" or something like that. You can search by model year or by category (sedan, sports car, etc). Look at the column for "injury." Porsche is on the list from the 993 on (I think it made the list for '96 model year cars). The lower the number, the better (fewer injuries). As you'll see, the 993 and the 996 do EXTREMELY well, and the Boxster does too. That has to bode well for the 997, since it has the same structure as the 996.

I don't think that this answers the whole question about safety, but I do believe that it provides useful information.

BTW, the site is clearly a speed-is-the-worst-crime-on-the-planet kind of site, but it does has some interesting information.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:56 PM
Maxy
Advanced

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ressive+safety

AFAIK, neither NHTSA, IIHS, or any other agency has ever crash tested a Porsche. However, at the site in the above link you can search through *every* actual American highway crash ever and find all those involving any model of Porsche and the circumstances leading up to it and resulting from it afterward. There aren't many for the 996 and most have causes that, at least casually and although tragically, might be attributed to gross negligance.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Jared W.
Instructor

Thanks for the help. The highway safety site was pretty interesting...

Quick Reply: 997 Safety Tests