Sponsored by:

997 looks great

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 10:13 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 522 Posts
Default 997 looks great

saw the car in person today, really sharp. I never considered buying a Porsche before. Some of the more heavily optioned S models are out of my price range, but the basic 3.6L car with a few options looks promising when compared to an M3 for example. I liked the 18" wheels actually, I thought the car retained a taut, trim appearance with those.

for a newbie, the ordering codes seem quite confusing. all these leather options, its hard to figure out what you get with each one.

can you typically order a car to your exact specifications (if you are willing to wait for delivery)?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:34 PM
rjl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like you I am new to the Porsche world having come over from a C5 Corvette. The car in person is awesome I got the full leather on my 997 and hope to get it in the next 3 weeks ... i agree the options are very confusing.....but its fun
Old 08-28-2004, 11:23 PM
nyca
Drifting

so, what does "full leather" give you? leather doors, dash, sun visors, instrument surround, dash trim? which steering wheel are you getting? what exterior/interior color are you getting?
Old 08-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Senator
8th Gear

In the UK its almost impossible to buy a brand new Porsche off the dealer forecourt as the dealers are not allowed to buy cars on spec, they can only order against a customer deposit.

Occasionally they put in phantom orders or you can buy their demonstrator or you can get a cancelled order but more usual is to put in an order to your exact specification and wait eons for the thing to be built to your order. My 997s is going to be a november build and should be ready for me to collect from the factory early in Jan '05.

The downside is the wait - the upside is that the car will be mine - to my exact specification no compromises on colour or kit. Mind you its left me with sleepless nights as I just can't decide on colour!!!

As for the leather, probably coz of our vastly inflated prices we get FULL leather as standard in this country, although its not really FULL as there are plenty of options to add more leather to every conceiveable surface including the air vents and switches.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:37 AM
blkc4sny
Instructor

I saw both 997 models yesterday and I have to say I was not overly impressed with the interior, forget about the steering wheel, way to Cayenne and the center console has so many buttons and the plastic silver colored console did not stay on par with the leather interior, it really looks as if Porsche took some costs out of certain parts of the interior. My GT3, standard full leather interior, uses aluminum in the interior, has a more simplied visual appearance as far as buttons. What I did like was the seats, vs the standard seats (not sport) on the 996's. I'm a big P fan so don't get me wrong, I love the company and the products, but I'm happy that I got my GT3 when I did.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:20 PM
nyca
Drifting

you have a choice of different steering wheels - the sport wheel is nicer, you can get it with/without steering wheel controls, etc. they also have an optional stainless steel or carbon fiber interior.

senator, I know that porsche dealers around the NY/NJ area certainly do stock unsold 911s on the lot generally - that's why I was asking some of the more informed folks here how the order process generally works.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Arun
AutoX

To answer your question. You can do either. You can custom order your car exactly the way you would like it from color to the very last option. In general Full leather makes the interior look complete and nicer. But as with most options on a Porsche they are up to the buyer. If you would like your 997 faster than waiting for it to be built you might find a dealer with a 997 you like and has most of what you want in options or you might find a 997 with a lot more on it than you want. It is a matter of how badly you want it your way or is there a 997 out there that meets your needs. I have bought 911s both ways. Porsche and it's dealers do make it a special feeling when you order your car the way you want and when it arrives it feels very cool. Best wishes and happy driving.

Quick Reply: 997 looks great