Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a 997 Carrera S today - Woohoo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 12:24 AM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting about the auto on lights- definately an optional feature on the Cayenne; have had it on both I have owned. None of the Audi's I have owned had it either. I just figure the Audi version of auto-on is a little slower: Gets dark, eyes detect darkness, brain directs hand to turn on light....
Old 08-31-2004, 06:42 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AeroGT3RedWing, I have a GT3 Cup Car that is better on the track than any GT3 street car would be, so I really wasn't looking for a mixed-mode car. I figured the 997S would be more pleasant on a day-to-day basis, and frankly I just liked the looks, the interior, etc. more. If I was racing the GT3 Cup and wanted a car to use on the track frequently, a 996 GT3 would probably be a better option.

Time will tell for sure, but the 997S doesn't feel like it's going to be a slouch on the track, and it is certainly outstanding on the street.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:09 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Skip, i want to be you...all these cars and a bitchen house too...congrats on your life man.....I live in Carlsbad Ca. so I don't have it to bad either...

Robert
Old 09-01-2004, 01:43 AM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip Congrats on the "S"
I stopped in today and saw the NC version of your car, marked up with fingerprints etc. I suspect that like the release of my C4S the 997s had fixed configurations/colors initially to ramp up production numbers without slowing for "mass customization." I swore no more first allocation cars for that reason as well as the subsequent discount and late option releases.

Question for all: What exactly does the adaptive sport seats get you? I have the regular sport seats and would like to know the difference. Better than GT3 seats or the like? Why so much more ( about 3000) or so? Curious. Anyway from my initial look, I will have to figure a way into a 997 the only question is S/4S or TT?

Thanks

ScottS

Last edited by ScottS; 09-01-2004 at 01:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-2004, 01:58 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Below is a picture of me in HWFMR attire, picking up my 997S. This attire works in L.A. too, at least on Saturday. Maybe I got the discount from MSRP since I must have looked like I needed it!

Scott: "What exactly does the adaptive sport seats get you?" There is a regular sport seat option too. The Adaptive Sport Seats allow individual adjustment of the side bolsters on both the seat cushion and the backrest, which for me is very helpful, and lumbar support adjustment (not sure whether this is otherwise available), and include full power adjustment and seat and mirror memory functions.
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2004, 02:57 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

ScottS: Here's more on Adaptive Sport Seats (the seat backs are very nice too).
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2004, 12:01 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Got it. Thanks. Now I have to go back to the dealer and sit in the thing...
Old 09-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Congrats,
I had a chance to drive both the S and the regular on saturday.
As the dealer warned me, if you are on a 997 budget, don't even think of driving the S.
Although I only had 15 minutes of play with the S, I found it spectacular.
In person, the wheels looked great, as did the interior. Neither are done justice by mere pictures.
I played a bit with the adaptive suspension and the chrono switch.
In sport mode the suspension took a decided attitude, too harsh for the street..at least the street I was on. According to the literature, the suspension in either mode will adapt to the condiditons, getting softer in sport if needed, and harded in standard if the car senses you are tossing it around..sweet !
The standard model was, by comparison a lot like my 996 in ride and feel.
My wife was along for the ride, and she immediately noticed the feel of both cars.
I'm figuring on ordering an S in the summer for a 2006 car.
Perry
Old 09-01-2004, 02:02 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, congrats! Love the attire, and it looks like our cars are twins.

ScottS, I don't think that the adaptive sport seats are really as supportive as true track seats, such as the European GT3 seats, but they're among the best street seats I've experienced. I have a set of Sparco Torinos in my Boxster that are comfortable and have good support, but the new seats in the 997 are better all around. A few folks who have Boxsters and 996s with sport seats have sat in the car and like them better, so it seems that Porsche did a good job with them.

Perry, I love the S, but I've owned and driven enough Porsches to believe that they're all good. My Boxster is not an S, but it's a great car. There are people, including Porsche owners and non-owners, who take the S vs. non-S, turbo vs. NA, GT3 vs. regular, etc. thing way too seriously. The fact is that pretty much any Porsche you buy, new or used, is a better all around car than almost anything else on the road. They don't always do 0-60 the fastest, the looks and materials aren't always the greatest, and they don't even always have the best handling or brakes, but they are outstanding automobiles that most people would love to drive. Sorry if this sounds like I'm preaching, but I hope that I never make a snide comment to someone such as "you should have gotten the S" and so on.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned and driven enough Porsches to believe that they're all good.

Well said, Skip. Spoken like a true enthusiast. A lot of guys get too hung up on S vs. base, Turbo vs. NA, etc. etc. The truth is that they're all great cars. The real world differences aren't as significant as some people imagine.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:59 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

I agree - they are all good! For most of us, the main limiting factor is budget - given the budget I would have a fleet of them which would have to include at least a 356, maybe an 89 Targa, a 993, 997, a GT3 and, with a really big budget, a GT too.

Scott: Took a few pictures of the adaptive sport seats this morning:
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottS
Better than GT3 seats or the like? Why so much more ( about 3000) or so?
You may or may not realize the factory optional seats are the only choices now that the side airbags are located in the seats themselves. This is, no doubt, one reason the "adaptive" seat option is so expensive (the same adjustment features in an M3 are about $1,500)...you are left with no other choice, unless you fit well in the regular sport seats (for $760) or want to disable the side airbag functions and go with an aftermarket/GT3 seat.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:27 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

The adaptive sport seats also include the electric seat / memory option, which as I recall is 1,100-1,500 alone.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Rennphile
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts

Skip,

I was at the track on Saturday - thanks for bringing the car by. It certainly attracted a lot of interest.

I wouldn't call the car beautiful, but I think it has presence.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:11 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

what exactly do you do Skip? Lawyer?

Quick Reply: Got a 997 Carrera S today - Woohoo!