Sponsored by:

Diy: Heater core Bypass...for tropical countries

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:27 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Diy: Heater core Bypass...for tropical countries

A few things I kinda learned...1. 997 heater core seems to always be active.. heat is controlled via mechanical flaps inside the evaporator. 2. These mechanical flaps tend to have leaks and the common disintegrated foam. 3. When the mechanical mixing flaps develop leaks the vents blow different temps...
For tropical countries like where i am. We seldom need heating. We always need cooling.. so after a few inquiries here regarding what could be, I jumped in and did it...
procedure: Battery removal is optional but it does make the work easier
1. Remove wiper cowl
2. Remove hose going into and out of heater core... try to do one at a time and quickly so as to minimize coolant loss
3. The loss in coolant is negligible and does not introduce air into the system.. there will be some decrease in level which can be topped of with distilled water
4. Install bypass pipe.. the tubes for the heater core are 3/4 in size.. buy 2 plugs for the heater core and the bypass hose for the inlet and outlet hoses...

The bypass line will have to go through the wiper cowl... finished product

Use a tie strap to tie the rubber bypass hose to the diagonal brace... that will be inside the cowl...
lastly test if the bypass hits the wiper arms...
My initial impressions:
1. Air temp seems to get colder faster
2. Cold air seems to be consistent with all the vents...
3. Cooling fans speeds seems to be lower...
I feel this will be beneficial for cars in tropical countries... also if the vent/mixing flaps are working properly and have no leaks, highly unlikely, this mod will have less noticeable benefits...
happy DIY,'ing all

Last edited by slicky rick; Today at 02:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
996love (Today)

Quick Reply: Diy: Heater core Bypass...for tropical countries