Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Amp Repair FAIL!!! I suck. Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024 | 11:24 AM
MrIncredible
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I got the car recently from my brother. The amp is in a box. I am having the fuel pump and some other work done (4k) so cash is at a premium, plus I want to have some work done on the 968 i got last year so it is useable (flex plate another 4k). The fuel pump and flex plate are probably beyond my skill set. I don't want to spend on a used amp when the issue is so common. Do it once.... My initial thought is get a head unit that doesnt need the amp, splice into a power supply and then to the speakers. There has to be a way to hook to them without cutting. I miss Radio Shack.
When I bought my 997.1 a few years ago it had an aftermarket head unit that was so bad, I had to replace it. It was then that I found out that the factory amp was removed to install said bad HU. I wired in the new one the same way so I suspect I'm running my speakers off the HU power... Unless there's an amp hiding somewhere that I don't know about. My speakers sound pretty decent considering, but i've always wanted to upgrade the audio in the car some day.
Old 07-03-2024 | 12:30 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrIncredible
I'm genuinely curious so please don't take this as me being an a-hole:

If you were willing to take a dremel to the car to install speakers you obviously don't care if it stays all factory original, so why stick with a factory amp and not use this as an opportunity to upgrade rather than pay $1100 for an amp that causes "baddish sound"?
Ok, the whole story... or more of it... I am an audiophile and a lover of music... I can't live a day without music, and my home stereo is an almost embarrassment of spend including all tube pre and amplifier tech. So... with this car, I started by replacing the speakers, something I would be doing no matter what, with the hopes of improving sound. I knew this would not work as I can hear the characteristic hard sound of a crappy amplifier. So... after that didn't do it, I said screw it... I paid ... um about $5K if memory serves me, to replace the head unit and amplifier... just did the whole thing.... I already did the speakers. Guess what? The installer could not get the alternator whine out of it... way bad.... he tried some tricks... I almost purchased a new alternator.... anywho, he returned my car back to stock and refunded my full money. I know the guy well, he did two of my cars before, well respected in the area, and has been in business forever. I could not believe he could not get the alternator whine out of it.... we tried different amplifiers... (but not the head unit but he said all other units were not of great quality). Mine was the first .2 911 he did... and a few years later, I was his last. BTW, he kinda blamed me for the problem saying at one point, nobody else could hear it.... he certainly could.

Now I am not going to say a proper install could not be done on these cars.... but I tell ya, I have sat in other folks cars with tricked out stereo systems and they made my ears bleed while they sit there with a massive smile on their faces. I am really really picky.

Now I know I upset some already, and now I am going to go even further.... anytime anyone has shown me some bluetooth interface or some kluge that converts this to that then viola!!! it sucks... sounds like crap... I never heard any of these "interfaces" sound good... they never serve sound quality... maybe convenience, but not sound quality.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 07-03-2024 at 12:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
CAVU (07-03-2024), Rig.Stunts (07-05-2024)
Old 07-03-2024 | 01:47 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

@Bruce In Philly Man, you are my benchmark for DIY projects! When you fail, what chance is there for mere mortals like us :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Hatzenbach:
Der Mechaniker (07-03-2024), Tj40 (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024 | 02:05 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I miss Radio Shack.
Microcenter. This business is run by ex Radio Shack folks... they have a whole MAKE center with everything you need.... better than the old stores. I walk out of there with something cool every time.... little files, clips, springs.... they got it.

Peace
Old 07-03-2024 | 02:07 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
@Bruce In Philly Man, you are my benchmark for DIY projects! When you fail, what chance is there for mere mortals like us :-)
I have more guts than brains. Don't be impressed.

I was surprised by my old Porsche indy.... ex shop foreman at a Porsche dealership then his own shop.... I was asking him what made a good tech.... his answer: "Fearless". um.... yikeys.

Peace
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
Hatzenbach (07-04-2024), Larson E. Rapp (07-05-2024)
Old 07-03-2024 | 06:15 PM
chris.lorine
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 200K miles

So.... I botched a repair on my Bose amp and now it is dead. Mort... Cold... and I am to blame.

Question: Where to buy a new one or used one? Experience and price?

So... what went wrong?... well my parents were just dating and drinking too much and ..... well that is a different story. The latest suspect was some sort of voltage regulator or whatever chip that is upstream and common to the amp chips and caps... so, let's blame it as the problem. Mouser has them in stock here and very cheap: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...LEmr7SFw%3D%3D

The challenge is this chip is a surface mount deal with small leads.... I have all the tools (no skill or brains) but didn't realize the chip was actually glued to the board surface... so I pried it up and tore a few of the traces... I failed to remove all of the solder. I suspect this was a real rookie move.

Anywho... I undertook this knowing full well I may screw it up and would have to replace the amp. Sooo.... time to find a new amp.

I have emails out to about four dismantlers, Becker in NJ, Suncoast Porsche for a new one, and an email address in China from a Rennlister who purchased one there for "a fraction". My local Porsche dealer has a new one for just over $1,100, so at least you can still buy them. Ebay has refurbished for around $800. Opinions? Opinions about buying an amp, not on my screwup, thank you.

Part Number: 997 645 444 04 New Part Number: 7PP035223AA

Peace

is this an opportunity to replace it with a new model and system which will have newer functionality?
the tech is 15 years old and there are good, high end, systems out there.
We can talk and you can tell me how this is a bad idea.
Old 07-03-2024 | 06:25 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

I’m down for replacing it with new tech but what would that be I have a high end kenwood head unit that will go in if I fix or replace the Bose amp
Old 07-05-2024 | 04:54 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Truely deep hole, this Bose replace / maintain / improve situation.

From my experience, and from what I've gleaned:

- Bose amps (main and sub) are wearing out

- Fiber optic does not do kludge. Aftermarket HU to Bose amp is a fools errand. Same with Bose HU to aftermarket amp

- All MOST converters are, to put it mildly, disappointing to audiophiles

- Bose speakers are 'tuned' to the Bose amp (2 ohm) Stock system working well sounds great. HU fibre optic good in this situation

- Upgrading speakers only might work. Better (best) quality speakers may sound worse, as the Bose amp can't deliver

- If sound quality is a priority, an aftermarket HU needs an aftermarket AMP.

- Aftermarket AMP needs a DSP (either built in or not)

- A DSP can 'tune' your system, whether speakers are stock or replaced

- Not replacing speakers when upgrading HU / AMP / DSP is a workable, budget saving option. Sound quality will improve

- Bose speaker are wearing out

Ideally, the stock system works forever, and you might soundproof the doors, then perhaps add a CarPlay board to the HU.

If the HU or main AMP die, and you prefer great sound, a IMO only substantial aftermarket upgrade will work. [Fun now begins - aftermarket HUs suffer with screen glare, no *****, no sport chrono integration, spotty steering wheel control function etc. Terrible quality Aliexpress units look good, but have low preamp out voltage and will not send a clean signal to an AMP]

Enjoy
Old 07-05-2024 | 05:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rig.Stunts
Truely deep hole, this Bose replace / maintain / improve situation.

From my experience, and from what I've gleaned:
Yup.

BTW, just throwing this out there for music lovers... I fell in love with Fazil Say... Turkish genius... go to YouTube and play his most accessible and lovely tune, Kumru Ballad... play the one where he plays solo piano. For his intensity, find Black Earth... goes deep (or Achilleus... if you dare...)

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 07-05-2024 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rig.Stunts (07-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Bose Amp Repair FAIL!!! I suck. Advice please