Sponsored by:

Is there an easy way to disable the heater core

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 07:32 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Is there an easy way to disable the heater core

Brothers/sisters, living in the tropics, there is no need for the heater in our cars year round... in fact maximum cooling is what is needed most of the time... I am wondering if there is an easy way to disable the heater core so that no hot water goes into the cabin anymore and cooling is simply regulated by the throttling of.capacity by the variable compressor... ideas and experiences??
Old 06-30-2024, 08:02 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Brothers/sisters, living in the tropics, there is no need for the heater in our cars year round... in fact maximum cooling is what is needed most of the time... I am wondering if there is an easy way to disable the heater core so that no hot water goes into the cabin anymore and cooling is simply regulated by the throttling of.capacity by the variable compressor... ideas and experiences??
There is an inflow and outflow hose to the top of the heater core, they are co-located. You could disconnect both of them, and add a "U" pipe and connect them and then just remove the heater core. I never did this, however I have replaced the heater core in another Porsche of mine. It looks all the same and is located under and center to the windshield. You access it through the front trunk... have to dismount the wiper system... not a difficult job at all. I suspect you can buy the hose and two couplers from any autoparts store... but that is an assumption.

In looking at the diagram below, you may be able to put a U pipe a bit lower from the heater core... I don't know you would have to just start taking things apart and figure it out. This does not look like a difficult job at all. You will need to keep a seal at the top of the heater core, or your fan will blow air out into your front trunk.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Number 4 is the top of the heater core and is located behind your battery.

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 06-30-2024 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2024, 02:49 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

i will look into this.. thanks Bruce! it should not be a difficult job, by the looks of it. the next question is will this mod affect in anyway how the ac control system of our cars work??
Old 07-01-2024, 11:38 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
I also live in a year-round high temperature area (Puerto Rico) but find that the A/C on my 2009 997.2, whose system has never been serviced nor even has had a gas re-charge, copes with these temperatures quite well.

High temperatures can be "tolerable" once you reduce the humidity to low 60%, which my A/C seems to do quite well. Yes, it does take a little while when you first turn it on but you can quickly see the resulting water coming out of the A/C drain hose.

Mind you at home my garage is open all around but the very high ceiling provides constant shade. Also, when I go anywhere I either park in covered lots or seek areas shaded by trees.

Anyway and getting back to your question/request, I'm not sure how much or how quickly that by-pass will contribute to more or better cooling but it is an interesting question.
Old 07-01-2024, 12:04 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Yes the 997.2 ac copes well enough with the high temps of asia.. but thinking it would be better still if it did not need to cope with the extra heat from the heater core..

Quick Reply: Is there an easy way to disable the heater core