Sponsored by:

Underbody panel stud repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 06:44 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Underbody panel stud repair

I had a stud come off the underbody that is used to secure the plastic trays to the underside. It’s fairly common occurrence and a straight forward fix, but I wasn’t able to find any threads about it here. Hopefully this helps someone.

Porsche sells rivet studs with the specific thread/pitch to match the plastic T5 underbody nuts. Part number: 999-190-342-01

Clean-up/drill out the old welded on stud. I used successively larger drill bits until the rivet stud just fit through the hole. That ended up being a 9/32” drill bit for me.

I bought some pain supplies from https://www.automotivetouchup.com
- 0.5oz bottle of primer with applicator brush
- Spray can of primer
- Spray can of B4 Carrara White

I used a little bit of brush on primer on the perimeter and backside of the new hole I drilled.

...also sprayed primer on the rivet stud to protect it

I used an inexpensive rivet stud tool I got off Amazon (https://a.co/d/iQ8DMF4) to set the rivet stud. This was a bit tricky because the rivet stud is has an odd course thread pitch for an M5 stud -- it seems to be an M5 x 1.5mm thread pitch. The M5 mandrel that comes with the rivet stud tool wouldn’t work with the Porsche replacement rivet stud, but I was able to get enough of the threads from the rivet stud to engage with the tool’s included “10-24” mandrel in order to set the stud.

‘Masked off the surrounding area and sprayed the newly set rivet stud with the rattle can mixture of Carrara White. Let it dry and put the panels back on.

The following 4 users liked this post by Body In White:
911URGE (05-20-2024), kano501 (06-23-2024), maschinetheist (07-09-2024), Ohio Performance (05-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Underbody panel stud repair