Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joyeauto installation - wiring incorrect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 06:48 AM
Akkuakku
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joyeauto installation - wiring incorrect?

Hi there,

I am working on the installation of the joyeauto unit and have an issue with the poer cable that goes into the main bord.

The order of the cables seems different on the actual unit vs the instructions.

What to follow? the direction of the pin (reverse order of cables) or the order of the cables (pin upside down)

THANK YOU

This is the cabling on the instruction guide with the red on the left

This is the cabling when the connection cable is facing the correct way up like in the instructions but here the red cable is on the right

the order on the bord is LVDS

Old 04-30-2024, 11:19 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, I just did the install of the Mr 12 Volt carplay unit. If yours is anything like that unit - the connector will only install in one orientation. I think the connector in your palm is in the correct orientation to slide into the board connector.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:12 AM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Akkuakku
Hi there,

I am working on the installation of the joyeauto unit and have an issue with the poer cable that goes into the main bord.

The order of the cables seems different on the actual unit vs the instructions.

What to follow? the direction of the pin (reverse order of cables) or the order of the cables (pin upside down)

THANK YOU

This is the cabling on the instruction guide with the red on the left

This is the cabling when the connection cable is facing the correct way up like in the instructions but here the red cable is on the right

the order on the bord is LVDS
It's absolutely mind-boggling how this product from China is manufactured. They cut corners to such an extent that the product can be assembled in reverse! It's like they prioritize cheapness over quality, which is why the connectors can be installed incorrectly. That's a surefire sign it was slapped together in someone's basement.

Have you ever witnessed cars bursting into flames inexplicably on the road? That's precisely why—it's because the board isn't properly designed to fit inside the radio.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:53 AM
Akkuakku
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved - correct orientation of pin

Thanks for the reply.

I had a chat with the vendor and they confirmed that it is the pin orientation that is important, not the color of the cables. The picture with my hand was the correct orientation.

​​​​​​BUT another question here: I have connected the system to the cigarette fuse but it keeps on running when the car is off

AND the system produces a lot of HEAT

... thinking about sending it back because I fear it might be a fire hazard

What are your experiences?
Old 05-01-2024, 03:02 AM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Thanks for the reply.

I had a chat with the vendor and they confirmed that it is the pin orientation that is important, not the color of the cables. The picture with my hand was the correct orientation.

​​​​​​BUT another question here: I have connected the system to the cigarette fuse but it keeps on running when the car is off

This product is basically just cheap Chinese stuff, the kind you'd find at the bottom of the barrel. There's really no other way to put it.

For your vehicle I'll be getting this directly from Porsche https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...ghlights/pccm/
Old 05-01-2024, 05:19 AM
trassalpl
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

If OP is installing the Joyeauto system, it means he has a 997.2 and Porsche's PCCM+ is only for 997.1.

OP, I don't know how much you paid for the Joyeauto system, but I agree that it seems put together pretty shoddily and what you're saying about it heating doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I would recommend erring on the side of caution and sending it back. I had the NM Automotive system in my 997.2TT and then installed the Mr.12Volt system in my current 997.2, and both worked flawlessly. Of the two, I'd recommend the latter, it boots and connects much faster and seemed better put together overall.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:50 AM
Troy.H
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply.

Use fuse C6, it’s for the “anti-dazzle” mirrors and is only on when the accessory power is on.

I agree the instructions are terrible but I disagree that it’s any cheaper than any other electronics — I’ve built many PCs in my life and I’ve seen much worse — and it works well.

I installed mine a few weeks ago so it’s still somewhat fresh in my mind. If you have any questions, I’ll try to help. My issues:

1. Double-check the orientation of the flat cables, I installed mine wrong the first time and only had a white screen. And make sure you replace the OEM cables with the Joyeauto cables and use the OEM cables for the new card to the front panel.
2. When reinstalling the PCM into the car, the cable harness can seem like it’s in but you must hear a click to make sure it’s in.
3. My AUX option went away and I had to re-enable it in the PCM settings to make the sound work (and plug in the 3.5mm dummy plug into your AUX).

Last edited by Troy.H; 05-01-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:53 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

Send it back and get something that has actual real support from real people, like the NM Automotive or Mr12Volt unit.

JoyEAuto makes these for a million other more high volume cars, I mean Audio is misspelled on the instructions.

I decided against the JoyE unit when they initially launched saying it had rear camera support and the first retail customers, aka their beta testers found out it didn’t.

They had to wait 6 months for a solution.

Having said all that, you sure you want to connect these wires you are unsure of to your expensive PCM? I wouldn’t.

With my NM Automotive unit, I email Nick with questions and he quickly gets back with me.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:43 PM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

NM Automotive just resells are branded version of jJoyEAuto
Old 05-01-2024, 04:23 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DashLynx
NM Automotive just resells are branded version of jJoyEAuto
You sure?

I know the NM Auto unit is a rebranded Unichip box.

The NM box uses Canbus for reverse activation, doesn’t the JoyEAuto need a reverse camera wire trigger?

IIRC when JoyE launched it was after NM was on the market, and the JoyE didn’t have rear camera support upon launch even though it was listed on their website.

Remember a thread where folks were trying to figure it out.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:31 PM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
You sure?

I know the NM Auto unit is a rebranded Unichip box.

The NM box uses Canbus for reverse activation, doesn’t the JoyEAuto need a reverse camera wire trigger?

IIRC when JoyE launched it was after NM was on the market, and the JoyE didn’t have rear camera support upon launch even though it was listed on their website.

Remember a thread where folks were trying to figure it out.
Both products are low-quality items from China, essentially rebranded generic products without warranty or support. They basically produce the same items, copying each other's features, but the quality remains poor overall. Unfortunately, most of the stuff designed in China isn't any good. The USA still produces a lot of good-quality items, whereas all China seems to do is poor reverse engineering. Good quality chips are expensive, and so are the components surrounding them on the board, but they're necessary for the product to last a long time without any issues.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:24 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DashLynx
Both products are low-quality items from China, essentially rebranded generic products without warranty or support. They basically produce the same items, copying each other's features, but the quality remains poor overall. Unfortunately, most of the stuff designed in China isn't any good. The USA still produces a lot of good-quality items, whereas all China seems to do is poor reverse engineering. Good quality chips are expensive, and so are the components surrounding them on the board, but they're necessary for the product to last a long time without any issues.
I appreciate you supporting the board as a vendor however I am not sure if all these boxes are the same.

There are lots of high fact finders like myself that have nothing better to do then absorb large amounts of info from thousands of threads over years of time.

It seems like you have lumped these all together as rebranded low quality Chinese products and made a claim that the reliability and customer service is poor.

From what I have witnessed and experienced, that’s not the case.

There are two Unichip rebranded boxes, 9XX and NM Automotive.

Both have excellent track records and I haven’t seen one bad word spoken about either vendor or product failures.

I personally have experienced Nick’s customer service at NM and have seen other threads sharing the same sentiment, he is well regarded here.

The other Unichip box sold by 9XX also has great reviews and again and sometimes folks forgo that option because of his install requirement, I haven’t seen one complaint or failure with his customer service either.

JoyEAuto came after NM/9XX and seems to be different because of the need for the reverse wire and the unkept promises at launch, it might be the same but unsure why it would be as they seem different. Although most people that get the JoyEAuto installed and sorted seem happy.

Mr12Volt is the last CarPlayAA box released and according the vendor that sells them it has superior audio quality over the Unichip boxes and provided the reasons. I haven’t seen anyone uninstall their Unichip box in favor of the Mr12Volt so I haven’t seen a first hand account of this.

Honestly if you went through the install on these and you understand nothing will change the Blowse system, you would have to be a sadist to uninstall in favor of the newer unit IMO.

I’m sure others would agree with me that disassembling and poking around inside the PCM isn’t fun or what I would consider relaxing, so I have no desire to go back in there and redo something for a potential of better sound quality.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 05-01-2024 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:05 PM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
I appreciate you supporting the board as a vendor however I am not sure if all these boxes are the same.

There are lots of high fact finders like myself that have nothing better to do then absorb large amounts of info from thousands of threads over years of time.

It seems like you have lumped these all together as rebranded low quality Chinese products and made a claim that the reliability and customer service is poor.

From what I have witnessed and experienced, that’s not the case.

There are two Unichip rebranded boxes, 9XX and NM Automotive.

Both have excellent track records and I haven’t seen one bad word spoken about either vendor or product failures.

I personally have experienced Nick’s customer service at NM and have seen other threads sharing the same sentiment, he is well regarded here.

The other Unichip box sold by 9XX also has great reviews and again and sometimes folks forgo that option because of his install requirement, I haven’t seen one complaint or failure with his customer service either.

JoyEAuto came after NM/9XX and seems to be different because of the need for the reverse wire and the unkept promises at launch, it might be the same but unsure why it would be as they seem different. Although most people that get the JoyEAuto installed and sorted seem happy.

Mr12Volt is the last CarPlayAA box released and according the vendor that sells them it has superior audio quality over the Unichip boxes and provided the reasons. I haven’t seen anyone uninstall their Unichip box in favor of the Mr12Volt so I haven’t seen a first hand account of this.

Honestly if you went through the install on these and you understand nothing will change the Blowse system, you would have to be a sadist to uninstall in favor of the newer unit IMO.

I’m sure others would agree with me that disassembling and poking around inside the PCM isn’t fun or what I would consider relaxing, so I have no desire to go back in there and redo something for a potential of better sound quality.
Because we're in the business of making these exact devices, we don't produce these kinds of devices that go inside the screen. It's just not something we manufacture. For instance, you wouldn't walk into Best Buy and find something that you could stick into a Samsung screen. However, most of the products they make fail pretty quickly. They're low-quality, made with cheap chips that don't last. When you install something into the radio that wasn't meant to be there, the chances of things going wrong skyrocket. But the key thing to understand is that most of those screen interfaces aren't built to automotive standards. Otherwise, the solution wouldn't look like this. You wouldn't have the option to plug in cables in different ways, or a solution to integrate into the screen. It's like watching an unlicensed surgeon doing surgery in a basement without proper equipment or a sterile environment.

If you take a look at any of these products, you'll see they don't use any high-quality connectors meant for cars. Instead, they mostly use connectors designed for computers that aren't meant to be pulled, moved, or put under stress. These are just low-quality products, unfortunately they will bring down the industry with their cheap products. We talk to a lot of people every day who say their unit failed and they're just going to buy another one. But then they end up spending $500 because they had to buy two. So, what's the point? People need to realize it's not worth buying this kind of product. And on top of that, most of these products are built using stolen intellectual property.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:32 PM
Troy.H
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ribbon connectors are the same as the OEM connectors. Can you explain why the “chips” are low quality and compare them to the ones you use? Do you have evidence that these products fail? Otherwise, this sounds like someone bashing their competitor.

The reason people want a device to go inside the PCM is that the car still looks stock. How would you make that happen without making a board that goes into the PCM?
Old 05-01-2024, 10:06 PM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Troy.H
The ribbon connectors are the same as the OEM connectors. Can you explain why the “chips” are low quality and compare them to the ones you use? Do you have evidence that these products fail? Otherwise, this sounds like someone bashing their competitor.

The reason people want a device to go inside the PCM is that the car still looks stock. How would you make that happen without making a board that goes into the PCM?
We don't even make interfaces for radios like these that don't have external inputs.

This is the reviews from Amazon for the product doesn't talk to modification on Porsche same as you were doing

There's evidence that the modules fail.

In reality products like that a.k.a. internal radio medication should never be designed to begin with

Quick Reply: Joyeauto installation - wiring incorrect?