Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help identifying Getty vs. Aerokit wing and tailbase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 07:45 PM
s4gobabygo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help identifying Getty vs. Aerokit wing and tailbase?

hello, first post, so please be gentle. i can't find this info anywhere, but i'm sure the wisdom exists at least in the brains of some real enthusiasts.

i'm shopping for a 997.1 c2s, and dreaming of one with an aerokit... can someone please help me to identify any visually apparent differences between the Getty and Aerokit rear wings? to me they look the same... is there a way to visually distinguish these parts installed on a car?

thanks in advance!!
Old 03-10-2024, 10:38 AM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 81 Posts

for my ducktail which is getty - visually the only thing different is when the lid is open and the lack of the black aluminum plate with stickers, not sure on the aerokit.

oem

getty

Old 03-10-2024, 10:48 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 476 Posts

You can also verify an OEM AeroKit Car w/ VIN using: https://vinanalytics.com/ (Look for Option Code XAA)

Old 03-10-2024, 12:02 PM
s4gobabygo
3rd Gear

thanks a lot for the replies. so disregarding cases where the car has a factory-installed aerokit, which is easy enough to confirm with VIN, there's no way to "spot" a getty design tail as opposed to a dealer-installed or customer-installed porsche tail in pictures or listings, short of seeing photos of its underside?

i was really hoping there might be a way for me to quickly spot the listings with the getty design tail, but i suppose if they're that hard to detect, maybe i should be a little less concerned about this, considering the porsche tail seems to have been unavailable for ages. i come from the BMW world, where replica parts are plentiful, and almost never look quite right. to the untrained eye they look the same, but to any enthusiast the differences are obvious. seems like maybe this is not one of those cases.

Last edited by s4gobabygo; 03-10-2024 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 12:06 PM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 81 Posts

Correct - and if it’s done well and you can’t tell i think it’s worth it, as i’m very happy with my getty tail - it does take quite a bit of work to do it correctly and a lot of prep work from a good body shop. I’m not sure of the cost savings vs an OEM unit.

It is way lighter than the OEM unit i believe as well. what are you concerned with exactly?
Old 03-10-2024, 12:23 PM
s4gobabygo
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CarreraAlex
Correct - and if it’s done well and you can’t tell i think it’s worth it, as i’m very happy with my getty tail - it does take quite a bit of work to do it correctly and a lot of prep work from a good body shop. I’m not sure of the cost savings vs an OEM unit.

It is way lighter than the OEM unit i believe as well. what are you concerned with exactly?
thanks, alex. i'm also alex, and hoping to soon be a carrera alex. i have an inherent bias toward genuine parts, justified or not... but i'm especially concerned with having parts that are OBVIOUS replicas. the best analogy i can come up with is CSL replica wheels in the BMW world. they sometimes look close, but never quite right, and to my eye, the differences, white subtle, really ruin my impression of the car they're attached to. in a world (this world) where the genuine part is unobtainable, if the replica tail is truly respectful to the original, i could probably wrap my head around having an aftermarket tail.

Quick Reply: help identifying Getty vs. Aerokit wing and tailbase?