Sponsored by:

Euro 4 Emissions for 997.1 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 02:11 PM
captainroman
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro 4 Emissions for 997.1 Carrera

Hey guys, I'm new here on rennlist. I have been following for quite awhile but haven't found an answer to my question so I decided to register and try to ask in hopes that someone would help me.

I recently bought a 997.1 Carrera (US model). The car was bought in Russia and then imported to my country (Kazakhstan). Now I know that I should've watched it before buying and importing it, but someone in Russia put a Euro-3 emissions' class in the papers, and my local requirements are Euro-4 as the minimum to have, in order to make the car road legal and get number plates. Problem worsens with the fact that I can't find technical answer in any of the official documents, and US models have different naming for the emissions (LEV).

Now I've tried to contact several supports. First I tried European support, which sent me to my local Porsche dealership. These guys were completely worthless and helpless, stating that they don't provide any kind of documents by the request of the head of the dealership. Finally I've contacted US North Porsche support, which were kind and helpful at the beginning, even asked me for copies of my documents, but then told me they can't provide me with the info on whether a car is legal in some state or not, and that I should contact my local authorities. When I said that I don't require that and only need official statement of my vehicle's technical information (like either Euro-4 compliance confirmation of just CO2 and other particles' amount in the exhaust system) they stopped responding and now ignore my emails. So I'm stuck in a loop.

The only thing I'd like to find here Is guidance from someone who can help me finding official technical information on these vehicles emissions' class. I can't attach info from Google or forums since it has to be official, and only then I can bring it up to my registration agency in order to prove that the documents from Russia are wrong and car is indeed Euro-4. AFAIK there were no 997 Carreras that were Euro 3.

Thank you for reading till the end, and I hope there is someone who has knowledge on the topic.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:54 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

I imported a 964 into Ireland a couple of years ago and was provided with the required emissions information by Porsche in Stuttgart upon request.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:48 AM
captainroman
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I imported a 964 into Ireland a couple of years ago and was provided with the required emissions information by Porsche in Stuttgart upon request.
Thanks! Could you provide contact information please?
Old 03-10-2024, 10:55 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by captainroman
Thanks! Could you provide contact information please?
Sorry, this was about 15 years ago, but I remember that I started with their general number and sent them a letter via Fax. They sent me an emissions certification form specific for the car.

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Porscheplatz 1
D - 70435 Stuttgart
Telefon (0711) 911 - 0
Fax +49 (0) 711/ 911 - 25777
The following users liked this post:
captainroman (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 04:59 PM
captainroman
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Sorry, this was about 15 years ago, but I remember that I started with their general number and sent them a letter via Fax. They sent me an emissions certification form specific for the car.

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Porscheplatz 1
D - 70435 Stuttgart
Telefon (0711) 911 - 0
Fax +49 (0) 711/ 911 - 25777
Yeah, I've seen this one on official website. Strange that they don't list email here. Either way, thanks for response!
Old 03-11-2024, 09:40 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding on the Euro designation is that it is based on the date of the first registration of the vehicle, not the production date. In the case of Euro 4, it is January 2006. When was your car first registered? If it was after January 2006, perhaps you could challenge the error in the paperwork.

"..there were no 997 Carreras that were Euro 3" Based on my understanding, a 997 first registered in 2005, technically falls under Euro 3. Even thought it could be identical to a 2005 997 that was first registered after Jan 2006.

Last edited by Antonio; 03-11-2024 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:01 AM
captainroman
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Antonio
My understanding on the Euro designation is that it is based on the date of the first registration of the vehicle, not the production date. In the case of Euro 4, it is January 2006. When was your car first registered? If it was after January 2006, perhaps you could challenge the error in the paperwork.

"..there were no 997 Carreras that were Euro 3" Based on my understanding, a 997 first registered in 2005, technically falls under Euro 3. Even thought it could be identical to a 2005 997 that was first registered after Jan 2006.
I don't get what does date of registration have to do with the exhaust/fueling/catalytic converters of the vehicle. I really don't think Porsche was changing those in the middle of a production of a model. More probably they were expecting new regulations to come in and made the car 'future-proof'. I remember seeing here the topic about this issue, and the guy confirmed all 997s even early ones were Euro-4, however he didn't provide any data and disappeared long time ago.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:31 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...sion_standards
You are correct. I misread the regulation. The language is confusing. The Euro designation is issued by the manufacturer. All 997 model cars were Euro 4. Sorry for the confusion.

When you told the officials in Kazakhstan that the Euro designation on the paperwork is wrong, did they tell you what you needed to do to have it corrected?
Have you spoken to an import broker who specializes in used cars into Kazakhstan?

Old 03-13-2024, 04:36 AM
captainroman
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Antonio
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...sion_standards
You are correct. I misread the regulation. The language is confusing. The Euro designation is issued by the manufacturer. All 997 model cars were Euro 4. Sorry for the confusion.

When you told the officials in Kazakhstan that the Euro designation on the paperwork is wrong, did they tell you what you needed to do to have it corrected?
Have you spoken to an import broker who specializes in used cars into Kazakhstan?
Yeah, the wording there is crazy. Kazakh officials stated that I either need to send it back to Russia and make them change the papers, or to get the official confirmed information from Porsche. The latter is, obviously, much simpler and cheaper, since in order to change the papers in Russia I would most probably have the car sent back there.
The problem with the former, as stated in the opening post, is that Porsche support somehow really poor when dealing with older vehicles - no money means no motivation I guess.
Also, there is a Russian document that approves the 997s for Russia and CIS countries (vehicle type approval), but VIN numbers unfortunately don't match (US models have slightly different VIN numbers) and this one can't be used.

Last edited by captainroman; 03-13-2024 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:02 AM
captainroman
7th Gear

Bump, maybe someone can help.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:16 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 85 Posts

The best and only reasonable way is via Porsche, you can apply for the papers online!

From their website:
Dear Sir or Madam,

we will be pleased to assist you with the registration of your Porsche by issuing a duplicate CoC document. The prerequisite for this is that EC type approval has been granted (usually from model year 1997). If there is no EC type approval or if your vehicle has country-specific equipment from a country outside the European Union, a technical data sheet can be requested for these vehicles. Please use the separate application form for this.
The CoC document is an officially recognised registration document for vehicles built for the European market. The CoC document can be used to register the vehicle.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:29 AM
captainroman
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
The best and only reasonable way is via Porsche, you can apply for the papers online!

From their website:
Dear Sir or Madam,

we will be pleased to assist you with the registration of your Porsche by issuing a duplicate CoC document. The prerequisite for this is that EC type approval has been granted (usually from model year 1997). If there is no EC type approval or if your vehicle has country-specific equipment from a country outside the European Union, a technical data sheet can be requested for these vehicles. Please use the separate application form for this.
The CoC document is an officially recognised registration document for vehicles built for the European market. The CoC document can be used to register the vehicle.
Doesn't work like that anymore, unfortunately. Below is the reply from Porsche Customer Service:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding EURO 4 conversion dated 25.03.2024. We would like to inform you that the ordering options for the documents available from us have changed. The documents can no longer be ordered centrally via Porsche.However, you still have the option of ordering the required documents via the Porsche Centers. You can use the following link to find your nearest Porsche Centre and order your desired document there:https://www.porsche.com/central-east...che/importers/

Local dealer states that they don't provide documentation on any vehicle that wasn't bought from them.

Quick Reply: Euro 4 Emissions for 997.1 Carrera