Sponsored by:

997 track car power steering advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 12:29 AM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 997 track car power steering advice

Hello gentlemen, I am in need of a new ps pump on my 997 track build, but im at a crossroads.

A new pump/res/labor etc is gonna run me $2k+
Or
I can convert to a cup electric ps pump for a fraction of that

Is the electric cup conversion worth it? Will a pc925 battery be enough amperage wise?
Benefit to the cup pump is I can ditch all the stupid rubber PS lines and switch to PTFE AN lines all throughout making maintenance easier.

As an aside, this is for a 997.1 turbo gt2 conversion car, so basically a gt2/3 under the chassis plumbing wise.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:44 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

The 997 Cup Electric PS System is a very good alternative but it's not going to cost you less. Be mindful of aftermarket solutions that people never get to work. Right Check the DE/Racing Forum for those stories.

Your battery is not a factor but you will need to install with a self resetting fuse in order to make this work.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:49 AM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S;[url=tel:19322538
19322538[/url]]The 997 Cup Electric PS System is a very good alternative but it's not going to cost you less. Be mindful of aftermarket solutions that people never get to work. Right Check the DE/Racing Forum for those stories.

Your battery is not a factor but you will need to install with a self resetting fuse in order to make this work.
This would be a TRW pump, my own lines, rebel fittings, and a custom mount. I do all my own wiring and installs so realistically I can do this for under $800 vs $2k+ for OEM and thats not including replacing the oem lines as they are probably due. I am assuming the TRW pump is the go-to? Ive heard about the volvo pump as well.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:37 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 471 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AltitudeRacing
This would be a TRW pump, my own lines, rebel fittings, and a custom mount. I do all my own wiring and installs so realistically I can do this for under $800 vs $2k+ for OEM and thats not including replacing the oem lines as they are probably due. I am assuming the TRW pump is the go-to? Ive heard about the volvo pump as well.
You need this pump, don’t fall for the “It’s a special Porsche Motorsport Cup part”. It’s not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32602839176...IAAOSwcPpl3FeS

As you’ve said, fitting the electric pump gets rid of some weight from the rear of the car, and removes some complexity too. You’ll need a shorter serpentine belt also.

There’s a company that makes a mount kit with pipes and wiring, but it’s perhaps a bit expensive for what it is :

https://www.dukeengineeringsolutions...-for-trw-pumps

The steering weight will change, some say it makes the steering lighter, I thought the opposite.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:53 AM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atgani;[url=tel:19322553
19322553[/url]]You need this pump, don’t fall for the “It’s a special Porsche Motorsport Cup part”. It’s not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32602839176...IAAOSwcPpl3FeS

As you’ve said, fitting the electric pump gets rid of some weight from the rear of the car, and removes some complexity too. You’ll need a shorter serpentine belt also.

There’s a company that makes a mount kit with pipes and wiring, but it’s perhaps a bit expensive for what it is :

https://www.dukeengineeringsolutions...-for-trw-pumps

The steering weight will change, some say it makes the steering lighter, I thought the opposite.
Yeah thanks for confirming, I have the full parts list and can do it easily, i was really wondering if it was worth it and reliable compared to the oem setup? I have heard of people boiling the fluid and overflowing in the engine bay when running the oem setup with wider front tires. I will be switching to 275 front eventually so I figure its gonna stress the oem setup. This would kill 2 birds potentially.
I looked at the duke kit and heard about another company making the billet mount, cant remember their names.
Do you happen to know the belt needed on the mezger to retain a/c with the ps pump deleted? this would be a 997.1 turbo. I know the gt2 is the same size.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

The TRW pump is the same as the 997 Cup pump and is the one to go with. If you can do all this yourself, then your cost is totally realistic.

I ran electric PS in my Cayman previously with good results. On the 997.1 people seem to be running PS coolers but on the 997.2 I don't have one. Boiling the fluid comes from the consistent high RPMs you experience on a race track.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:16 AM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
The TRW pump is the same as the 997 Cup pump and is the one to go with. If you can do all this yourself, then your cost is totally realistic.

I ran electric PS in my Cayman previously with good results. On the 997.1 people seem to be running PS coolers but on the 997.2 I don't have one. Boiling the fluid comes from the consistent high RPMs you experience on a race track.
I can add a PS cooler in just to be safe, would barely cost any extra. Could probably get a small setrab cooler somewhere near the rack or something.
Does anyone have any reliability info? If I do this ill be running a switch to turn the pump on after starting the car to reduce the load on the battery. Seeing as this pump is used in some OEMs I assume its pretty reliable.

Does anyone think I am overreaching in switching to electric? OEM system felt fine to me but since I have to replace stuff the money is not as important as functionality but it does make maintenance significantly easier and cheaper.

Last edited by AltitudeRacing; 03-09-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:37 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can add a PS cooler in just to be safe, would barely cost any extra. Could probably get a small setrab cooler somewhere near the rack or something.
Does anyone have any reliability info? If I do this ill be running a switch to turn the pump on after starting the car to reduce the load on the battery. Seeing as this pump is used in some OEMs I assume its pretty reliable.

Does anyone think I am overreaching in switching to electric? OEM system felt fine to me but since I have to replace stuff the money is not as important as functionality but it does make maintenance significantly easier and cheaper.
Definitely do NOT incorporate a switch but only a self resetting fuse. Max current will flow as you turn the wheel to full lock. If you are going 275 tires, definitely get the GT3 steering stops and you will need to move the radiator brakets forward a little bit in a lowered car.

Once you go electric there is no cooler necessary even though the pump gets really hot.

If you decide to not convert to electric, You can also run an under drive pulley as an alternative. Spinning the PS pump at lower speed cools the fluid. For a track car, I would do this all day. You gain some engine power due to the PS pump removal and reduced rear weight.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:38 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S;[url=tel:19323614
19323614[/url]]Definitely do NOT incorporate a switch but only a self resetting fuse. Max current will flow as you turn the wheel to full lock. If you are going 275 tires, definitely get the GT3 steering stops and you will need to move the radiator brakets forward a little bit in a lowered car.

Once you go electric there is no cooler necessary even though the pump gets really hot.

If you decide to not convert to electric, You can also run an under drive pulley as an alternative. Spinning the PS pump at lower speed cools the fluid. For a track car, I would do this all day. You gain some engine power due to the PS pump removal and reduced rear weight.
Sorry when I say switch I mean instead of wiring it to ignition i would wire it to a toggle to turn the pump on and off. I would still run the 80amp circuit breaker but id like to turn the pump on after the engine is idling to reduce battery drain as my battery is kinda small. Thanks for the vote of confidence, this mod would definitely i increase ease of maintenance.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

You would have virtually no steering without the pump running and that's why I have never seen a switch. Your alternator should be able to power the pump with no issues so you definitely want it automatically running whenever ignition is on.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:55 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S;[url=tel:19323746
19323746[/url]]You would have virtually no steering without the pump running and that's why I have never seen a switch. Your alternator should be able to power the pump with no issues so you definitely want it automatically running whenever ignition is on.
I understand that I just dont want it on before the engine is started since it draws a large amount of amps when starting up it seems. The idea is start the car, then turn the pump on a few seconds later. I just figure itll be part of my startup sequence. Unless theres a way to wire it to delay running until the car is idling. My battery doesnt have a high amp hour capacity
Old 03-11-2024, 05:25 AM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Well I said screw it and bought almost everything.
I am in this $740 with everything except for the pump bracket and 6an lines and fittings since I have to measure those and I am having them hydraulically crimped and pressure tested. Hopefully Cervelli gets back to me with the bracket available.
Its either this or get a new 997 gt3 ps pump and res which would cost a ton, and not including new lines as they are way past due.
Just deciding the pump activation method now, either gonna run a manual toggle or just tap into the fuse box for a post-start signal source.
Also anyone know the belt size for a mezger with AC? I know the gt2/3/tt belt is the same on the 997 just not sure on part #

Old 03-11-2024, 01:40 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

@Tom@TPC Racing did this conversion and may be a good resource for you. He documented it extensively in his GT3 thread.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:46 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
@Tom@TPC Racing did this conversion and may be a good resource for you. He documented it extensively in his GT3 thread.
I actually spoke to Tom this morning, unfortunately for the belt size he is running a different crank pulley so I may have to experiment myself unless someone else knows.
Also Chris Cervelli got back to me, will definitely be getting one of their mounts. Now we wait.

Edit, for anyone curious I will make a little pic thread with this with belt info etc in the 997 turbo forrm. I am pinning deutsch connectors and raychem-ing etc since im stupid and wasteful so itll be soon, eventually.

Last edited by AltitudeRacing; 04-14-2024 at 12:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nwGTS (03-11-2024)

Quick Reply: 997 track car power steering advice