Sponsored by:

Fried My PCM 3.0 w/Mr. 12 Volt

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 08:21 PM
Jclauer
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fried My PCM 3.0 w/Mr. 12 Volt

Not sure which direction I want to go with this. I installed a Mr. 12 Volt into my PCM 3.0 (997.2) w/Bose. I thought everything was hooked in correctly, so powered up the PCM. I got the Porsche splash screen, then the FM radio (but no sound.) Went to source and had FM, AM, Aux and Disc…no TV button. Pressed Disc for grins, and the unit made noise then the screen went blank. I couldn’t get the unit to power on again.

After a keyed start and stop, the unit did power on, but same issues…and came with that sickly burning electronics smell. The fan in the PCM was cycling on and off, so I pulled the fuse.

Honestly not sure if it was a bad install or bad Mr. 12 Volt unit, and doesn’t really matter at this point. I’ve wired a ton of stereos over the years without issue, but I obviously fried something in the PCM. I’m hoping it’s just the PCM, and I didn’t fry anything down the line like the amp.The only error I see on the dash is PSM and I assume that’s because I disconnected the battery and it will reset.

I’m not too interested in an android unit like Dynavin and am trying to decide if I should buy aftermarket and hope everything works, send out the PCM for repair, or try buying a used unit and having the dealer program. Any thoughts? And if aftermarket, any suggestions for something with sound equal or better to the PCM w/Bose?
Old 03-03-2024, 09:25 AM
CBRich
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it depends on what you want to spend, but after having the PCCM+ I wouldn't purchase anything else. Is it an outdated Android version? Yes. Do you need a dongle to add wireless Android Auto / Carplay? Yes. Does the integration, OEM look, and Porsche branding make it worth it? Undoubtedly.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:37 AM
Nate R
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

My PCM 3.0 died as well about a year ago - with smoke smell. I got a Kenwood DDX9907XR Apple CarPlay unit and am very happy with it. Screen is much better and it just works. Installation was okay, I got the install kit from Suncoast. With Bose I believe you will need an adapter. Next step is to replace the crummy base speakers for me.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Fried My PCM 3.0 w/Mr. 12 Volt