Sponsored by:

Ohlins r&t vs pss9 on non pasm car

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 11:21 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Ohlins r&t vs pss9 on non pasm car

I searched around. Found a few threads but nothing conclusive.

Seems on a base 997.2, non pasm getting an active system is not an easy/cheap route.

Of the passive systems r&t and pss9 seem to be the top recommendations. Am I missing anything obvious?

Not looking for anything out of this world but will end up having to refresh suspension on an 13 year old close to 70k mile car eventually. Would be doing the labor myself so thought maybe putting something in better than just replacement shocks and struts would be worthwhile.

Last edited by workhurts; 02-04-2024 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:54 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a 997.1 2005 C2S and should have just installed the TPC DSC Sport Controller since my car is mostly a daily driver and lesser frequent spirited drives.

Instead, I went with the Ohlins R&Ts. Their ride height adjustability was the main feature I was looking for. Their overall adjustability is better than average and attracts those who track their car regularly. They provide a very predictable response in corning situations.

One thing that might be troublesome to some is their potential need for a rebuild/assessment at the 20000 mile mark.

All-in-all, a good purchase though...
Old 02-04-2024, 11:58 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jchapura
I have a 997.1 2005 C2S and should have just installed the TPC DSC Sport Controller since my car is mostly a daily driver and lesser frequent spirited drives.

Instead, I went with the Ohlins R&Ts. Their ride height adjustability was the main feature I was looking for. Their overall adjustability is better than average and attracts those who track their car regularly. They provide a very predictable response in corning situations.

One thing that might be troublesome to some is their potential need for a rebuild/assessment at the 20000 mile mark.

Thanks. I did read something about a rebuild, is that strictly 20k miles or a time component? I don't see myself doing another 20k miles any time soon.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:16 AM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by workhurts
Thanks. I did read something about a rebuild, is that strictly 20k miles or a time component? I don't see myself doing another 20k miles any time soon.
Here's link the manual https://www.ohlinsusa.com/files/ohli...N_AUTO_R_T.pdf .

Page 10 - just miles, 30000 km.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:31 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

You have a NON PASM trying to add PASM? Yeah thats a bit difficult. You would have to get something by like DSC Sport with their tractive coilovers.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 02-05-2024, 05:24 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
You have a NON PASM trying to add PASM? Yeah thats a bit difficult. You would have to get something by like DSC Sport with their tractive coilovers.

-Josh
Yeah, but that's like a $9k purchase vs something passive like R&T for $3k or so ... vs just refreshing everything with new shocks/struts for 1500 or so. I was just thinking if I'm going through the effort and doing all 4 corners that I may as well splurge a little.

What's up with the ohlins extension kit/cable for cars with bose? How does that work and is it needed?
Old 02-05-2024, 06:17 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

...What's up with the ohlins extension kit/cable for cars with bose? How does that work and is it needed?
I bought these. They are installed to allow you to adjust the dampening from inside the car. Here's a pic of the passenger side.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:54 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

I bought these. They are installed to allow you to adjust the dampening from inside the car. Here's a pic of the passenger side.
Thanks again. Is there a bose amp or something in the way? So without this they're not adjustable without removing a shelf and other component or is there something else in the way?
Old 02-05-2024, 07:16 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

...Is there a bose amp or something in the way? So without this they're not adjustable without removing a shelf and other component or is there something else in the way?
I don't have any pics of this area from when I installed the Ohlins. From what I recall, nothing's in the way, per se, but to adjust the shocks, one would have to remove the shelf.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:45 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 471 Likes on 223 Posts

Yeah, but that's like a $9k purchase vs something passive like R&T for $3k or so ... vs just refreshing everything with new shocks/struts for 1500 or so. I was just thinking if I'm going through the effort and doing all 4 corners that I may as well splurge a little.

What's up with the ohlins extension kit/cable for cars with bose? How does that work and is it needed?
The adjuster extenders are needed if you wish to avoid having to go through this procedure every time you want to adjust the rear damper settings (15 mins 18 into this video) :

Last edited by Atgani; 02-06-2024 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:55 AM
BRN9121
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 81 Posts

Yup, that's what my car has as well.
I got a C2 with no PASM and has the ohlins installed.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:08 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Oh got it. In that case our best sellers are going to be BC Coilovers and Bilsteins. We do Ohlins every now and then as well.

-Josh
Old 02-07-2024, 03:01 PM
grnrcr
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BRN9121
Yup, that's what my car has as well.
I got a C2 with no PASM and has the ohlins installed.
Can you guys share what compression/rebound settings are you running front and back? How would you compare the ride quality vs. stock?
Old 02-07-2024, 03:52 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grnrcr
Can you guys share what compression/rebound settings are you running front and back? How would you compare the ride quality vs. stock?
I recently reset my rebound settings as follows - based in part from recommendations from other. I haven't had a chance to drive the car hard to see if they're OK.
  • Fronts - 18 out/CCW from full stiff/in/CW
  • Rears - 12 out/CCW from full stiff/in/CW
Spring preload adjustment was set up to to get a particular ride height reduction and then to corner balance the car.

When compared to stock, the feel is definitely stiffer across the range of driving conditions.
I don't mind the stiffer/harsher feeling but I can imagine that some would.
They did solve some "bounce" in a higher speed right hand sweeper that had some less smooth areas in the middle.

Last edited by jchapura; 02-07-2024 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:36 AM
Clopes7
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ohlins

I went w Ohlins RT on my 2011 non PASM Carerra. I’m very pleased with the suspension set up. Firmer than stock, but not uncomfortable.
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (03-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Ohlins r&t vs pss9 on non pasm car