Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top rocker switch rattle....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 09:19 AM
Highpox1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Convertible top rocker switch rattle....

I wanted to post this because it was one of those nagging issues that you can never solve- a rattle or vibration... After many YEARS of listening to this vibration/rattle, I finally figured out what it was. I have a 2010 997.2 C4S Cab, and the rocker switch that operates the top sits in the center console, between the handbrake and the ash tray. I have had this tinny- rattle/vibration, like spare change sitting in a glass bowl, for years while driving down the highway. If I held my hand over the entire center console, it would go away. I tried removing the ash tray, removing the cigarette lighter, taping the lighter, and then my best one yet- pushing a bicycle innertube into the center console space below the ash tray and inflating it a bit to muffle the vibration... yet it continued. I got to where I was driving w my hand covering the console to minimize this. Then one day, about a week ago, I happened to rest my finger in the back of the rocker switch.. and the vibration stopped. Huh? You've got to be kidding me. That was it. That dang switch was apparently loose enough over all this time it was telescoping the rattle thru the entire center console. The switch works fine, but there must be a small component that has worn enough to rattle. Solution #1: replace the switch. https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...3517&DID=16483. Not sure how to remove it. The pix show a clip at one end, and I don't want to try to dig it out. Theoretically, you can access the clip by pulling up on the handbrake which allows a space to appear below the switch. You could try to run a flat screwdriver up there to push the clip up, thus releasing the switch. Removing the console is not an option. Solution #2: Place a small black piece of foam in the finger space on each side of the rocker switch. This worked. Vibration gone, and the soft foam allows use of the switch when needed. If anyone knows how to remove this switch that would be helpful. Otherwise- foam it is. I hope this solution saves the sanity of at least one person anyway..
Old 01-13-2024, 02:05 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

My 2011 does the exact same thing. I found the culprit a lot earlier than you and have been living with it for 3 years , https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ch-rattle.html . As you can see there were no replies, I hope you have better luck. Subscribed
Old 01-13-2024, 03:49 PM
Highpox1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
My 2011 does the exact same thing. I found the culprit a lot earlier than you and have been living with it for 3 years , https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ch-rattle.html . As you can see there were no replies, I hope you have better luck. Subscribed
Was hoping someone knew how to swap that switch. But… the small piece of foam I pushed into the lower finger area for the switch does kill the vibration.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:03 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Is it the oem porsche rattle free single sided high density polyurethane colour matched black foam or just the .02 plain black foam?

Quick Reply: Convertible top rocker switch rattle....