Sponsored by:

Synchroizer Wear Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 02:34 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by DasCayman
Solved. I was able to find the spec after exhaustive digging. This applies for the 997.1 6 Speed

5/6 Synchronizer wear spec:

4th gear Synchronizer wear spec:

3rd gear Synchronizer wear spec:

1st/2nd gear Synchronizer wear spec:

Back on your issue for this post, I have been giving this more thought and understand more after reading this thread and watching those videos. My question is: Are those wear dimensions the bible? In other words maybe measurements within spec are necessary but not sufficient in checking this.

The reason I ask is because if you go back to the video I posted in #23 at time ~7:05 he is showing this exact thing we are talking about but provides a counterexample to this. Notice on the bad ring the height is still acceptable despite that he shows it is not working and clutching properly because the threads on the female cone are worn such that the clutching slips when engaged (it's not cutting through the oil film etc) with the male cone on the application of force.

Last edited by silver_tt; 01-04-2024 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:57 PM
DasCayman
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
Back on your issue for this post, I have been giving this more thought and understand more after reading this thread and watching those videos. My question is: Are those wear dimensions the bible? In other words maybe measurements within spec are necessary but not sufficient in checking this.

The reason I ask is because if you go back to the video I posted in #23 at time ~7:05 he is showing this exact thing we are talking about but provides a counterexample to this. Notice on the bad ring the height is still acceptable despite that he shows it is not working and clutching properly because the threads on the female cone are worn such that the clutching slips when engaged (it's not cutting through the oil film etc) with the male cone on the application of force.
This is a good point. When I drop the transmission this weekend I'll see if I can push down on the 6th gear synchro and make it catch / press fit, or spin.

Good news is that these parts are relatively cheap, and are only a 3 day lead! My shift fork took nearly 2 months to arrive from Germany. Excited to dig into this. I know I can fix this myself. I'll document the entire process so others can learn.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:39 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I think my issue, or our issue if you have the jam, is exactly a "blocking" issue... the points of those teeth are rounded off.
I agree and you have posted great information. I would only point out that it's not necessarily that those teeth are rounded off but it is specifically that the indexing motion is not working. Going back to the video in post #23 ~ 5:25 he is discussing this and what can cause it since there are several possibilities. The indexing not working properly can be from the teeth being worn down as you say, but it can also be from the slot -- it could be the slot is worn out and allowing the ring to travel... it could also be the the key slot in the hub is hammered out and the key can move and go out of index. Sometimes it has nothing to do with the ring being bad and these subtle nuances are what makes troubleshooting these tricky especially since this is our first time and we don't have the huge benefit of experience.

Originally Posted by DasCayman
This is a good point. When I drop the transmission this weekend I'll see if I can push down on the 6th gear synchro and make it catch / press fit, or spin.

Good news is that these parts are relatively cheap, and are only a 3 day lead! My shift fork took nearly 2 months to arrive from Germany. Excited to dig into this. I know I can fix this myself. I'll document the entire process so others can learn.
Awesome, can't wait to see your video I am geeked for that. Thanks for posting all this information here, I have learned a lot. I am also starting to think that maybe you can fix this yourself.....
Old 01-05-2024, 01:54 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

The short answer is replace all of those rings as a set.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Quick Reply: Synchroizer Wear Spec?