Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023 | 02:27 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Originally Posted by GT3twenty10
I sold my .2 GT3 and bought a .2 C2. Did the headers/exhaust, Bilstein PSS9’s, BBS’s and a few aero pieces….. if your into doing some personalized touches the C2 is a great place to start… do it!!
Mine didn’t have sport Chrono or PSE and I couldn’t care or less

you could scope it, but .2’s hardly ever get scoring..
I just bought a C2 and have been pining for a .2 GT3. Can you tell us a bit more about the differences, similarities, pros and cons since you’ve had both? And most people go to the GT3 rather than C2, so I would really value some more insight.

I will add to OP- I have probably the most base base car you could get. Dimming mirrors and floor mats in interior color are my only options- I did the gundo mod as well as a sharkwerks x pipe today. Sounds good, nice tone, no drone, likely very similar to PSE.

I could use a bit more volume, so in the future I might look for some tubi side mufflers, but I’d rather have a tubi setup than PSE, IMO.
Old 12-08-2023 | 07:23 AM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
I just bought a C2 and have been pining for a .2 GT3. Can you tell us a bit more about the differences, similarities, pros and cons since you’ve had both? And most people go to the GT3 rather than C2, so I would really value some more insight.

I will add to OP- I have probably the most base base car you could get. Dimming mirrors and floor mats in interior color are my only options- I did the gundo mod as well as a sharkwerks x pipe today. Sounds good, nice tone, no drone, likely very similar to PSE.

I could use a bit more volume, so in the future I might look for some tubi side mufflers, but I’d rather have a tubi setup than PSE, IMO.
the only reason I sold the GT3 is because I made
100k profit on it, owned it for 7yrs. It got to the point where I was afraid something was going to happen to it and this is because of the market spike.. that took the fun out of it..
so a CS2 997.2 was a target. Drove both back to back, the difference from a C2 vs CS2 not all that much.. the CS2-x51, that was a huge difference, but couldn’t find one .. I knew there was potential in a C2, so I modded one out tastefullly imo and it’s working out great.. does compare to a GT3?, no.. is it worth 3x what a C2 is?… no. A nice low mileage.2 will set you back close to 200k. They rev really high, great suspension great track feel. My C2 was bone stock when I got it, it now has coilovers, exhaust/headers, etc… it handles real good now. I’m not going to track this 911 much. I have the MR2 for that… cheap motors!!

Last edited by GT3twenty10; 12-08-2023 at 07:27 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GT3twenty10:
850tgul (12-08-2023), Rig.Stunts (12-08-2023), vg247 (12-10-2023)
Old 12-08-2023 | 10:34 AM
BillB128
Racer

Originally Posted by Agent007
Thank you for your response. Why is it necessary to do a PPI? does not Porsche fix if something goes wrong? I already spent on one PPI for a different option but it was not a CPO.
Again, just my 2 cents, but I'd be a little cynical with the CPO inspection process. Yes, they'll fix replace failed parts during the 2 yr period, but I think some dealers just tick the boxes and don't go over the car with a fine tooth comb, think unreported accident damage or the like.

A bore scope might be overkill for the 9A1 motor, but there have been rare cases reported (besides the low mileage cold seize scenario, which you'd be past with 70K mi). If you're thinking of selling or trading the car within a short period of time, having a clean inspection in hand would be a good thing to have.

'Id also want to see a DME report to see if there were any recent over-revs in ranges 4 and above, but the dealership should provide this to you if you ask.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Old 12-08-2023 | 11:04 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 193K miles

I don't have Sport Chrono and frankly, don't get it... it just does not seem to me to anything worthwhile. The sport exhaust... well you have many aftermarket options that are really good and you can make it sound the way you like. I think you are hung up on the wrong things... IMO.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 12-08-2023 | 11:13 AM
Agent007
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 193K miles

I don't have Sport Chrono and frankly, don't get it... it just does not seem to me to anything worthwhile. The sport exhaust... well you have many aftermarket options that are really good and you can make it sound the way you like. I think you are hung up on the wrong things... IMO.

Peace
Thank you for your response, this is helpful.. What do you think about a second option of getting a 2013 C4S full option with 57k miles and full service record at $63k? as the first time buyer of 991, should I go with CPO or a non CPO but newer and full option?
Old 12-08-2023 | 11:16 AM
GT3twenty10
Pro

I think you should get what you want… there all good cars… my 3.6 reflashed is around 365hp.. it pulls real nice
Old 12-08-2023 | 11:29 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My value system for buying a used car: Condition condition condition for your budget. Keep in mind, these cars are getting pretty old. Options are secondary. It's not like Porsche engineers/marketers said "let's make a cool car... oh, now we need a cheapie, let's make it crappy". Now having said that, the only option in a car that I really value is the upgraded stereo system because appartently in Porsches, the upgraded systems are structural... holes and cavities in doors and integration into dashboard electronics... that make upgrading very difficult. But that is just me. Oh and suspension? I was going to buy a base model and drove them... I found the suspension on a base to be very very well sorted out. My S's ride is not good and I got it to where I liked it by purchasing the DSC PASM controller. Again, nothing wrong with the base of the base... I found it actually excellent.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12-08-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2023 | 11:44 AM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Your right^ suspension and a decent exhaust are key on any 911..

I used to own a base GT3😆

Last edited by GT3twenty10; 12-08-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2023 | 02:28 PM
akhbhaat
Instructor

100k profit on it, owned it for 7yrs. It got to the point where I was afraid something was going to happen to it and this is because of the market spike.. that took the fun out of it..
so a CS2 997.2 was a target. Drove both back to back, the difference from a C2 vs CS2 not all that much.. the CS2-x51, that was a huge difference, but couldn’t find one .. I knew there was potential in a C2, so I modded one out tastefullly imo and it’s working out great.. does compare to a GT3?, no.. is it worth 3x what a C2 is?… no. A nice low mileage.2 will set you back close to 200k. They rev really high, great suspension great track feel. My C2 was bone stock when I got it, it now has coilovers, exhaust/headers, etc… it handles real good now. I’m not going to track this 911 much. I have the MR2 for that… cheap motors!!
+1 agree with all this and I sold my 997.1 GT3 for exactly the same reason. When prices (demand) skyrocketed, AV/track insurance went right with it, and the difficulty and expense of replacing it in case of damage was massively higher. As an actual driver's car that sees real use (track) I did not think it was justified at the new price point.
Old 12-08-2023 | 02:36 PM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
+1 agree with all this and I sold my 997.1 GT3 for exactly the same reason. When prices (demand) skyrocketed, AV/track insurance went right with it, and the difficulty and expense of replacing it in case of damage was massively higher. As an actual driver's car that sees real use (track) I did not think it was justified at the new price point.
I was the guy that’s said I’d always drive my sports cars like they should…. And there I was!! I bought a cayman and tricked that out for a track car instead of the GT3… owning a 987.1 I didn’t sleep well at night owning that motor so I sold it and GT3.. I love the C2 tho. Perfect blend of sports car and fairly modern technology. I miss staring at the GT3 tho… 😞
Old 12-08-2023 | 03:41 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Hi GT3, What headers and tune you end up installing?
Old 12-08-2023 | 04:09 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Drive both 997 and 991 before committing. They have different driving experiences: 997 has hydraulic steering which for some is important, 991 has 4" longer wheel base, is slightly bigger overall, and has electric power steering. They're both 911s so I don't think you can go wrong either way but subtle differences might matter depending on what you want. If you go with the CPO C2, I think the risk is minimal to go without a PPI, but if you want peace of mind, $500 is not that much to pony up for that. The base .2 Carrera is a hidden gem amongst the 997 litter, IMO.

Originally Posted by Agent007
Thank you for your response, this is helpful.. What do you think about a second option of getting a 2013 C4S full option with 57k miles and full service record at $63k? as the first time buyer of 991, should I go with CPO or a non CPO but newer and full option?
The following users liked this post:
Rig.Stunts (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023 | 05:08 PM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Originally Posted by festina-lente
Hi GT3, What headers and tune you end up installing?
soul long tube and GMG tune
Old 12-08-2023 | 06:33 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

soul long tube and GMG tune
Got it, thanks. Did you go catless? If so, is there droning at highway speeds? I'm still conflicted with the whole catless vs catted dilemma. I do have a Soul center muffler delete and Soul tips.
Old 12-08-2023 | 07:24 PM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Originally Posted by festina-lente
Got it, thanks. Did you go catless? If so, is there droning at highway speeds? I'm still conflicted with the whole catless vs catted dilemma. I do have a Soul center muffler delete and Soul tips.
yes I have cats.. I won’t ever go without again. The de-acceleration fumes kill ya… so bad my throat
would get scratchy.. I had a 3.8 in my cayman “RS” I build with no cats and the sound was as good as my GT3…. Had a brap sound from the depths of hell, but having the window down was a fumes nightmare

Quick Reply: Base 997.2