Sponsored by:

Stock PCCM Suddenly Plays All Audio Muffled

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023 | 07:59 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

To be clear.. My car is dry as well.
I was asking a few other questions.

This has literally been the only issue since I bought it new.

Old 11-30-2023 | 09:49 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

https://www.beckerautosound.com/

Fixed mine - very pleased all the way around.

I tried many things, including the chicken incantations on winter solecist. Recapped the amp. No joy.
Finally Installed an aftermarket head unit. No joy.
Becker repairing the amp solved all the issues. Not expensive.

Last edited by BHMav8r; 11-30-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2023 | 02:49 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
https://www.beckerautosound.com/

Fixed mine - very pleased all the way around.

I tried many things, including the chicken incantations on winter solecist. Recapped the amp. No joy.
Finally Installed an aftermarket head unit. No joy.
Becker repairing the amp solved all the issues. Not expensive.
Good to hear!!!
Old 11-30-2023 | 04:32 PM
NoWANG
Advanced

I just got a quote from Becker. $500-750 (due to I have water damage) 10 day turn around time.
Old 12-29-2023 | 11:51 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

So a quick update.
2009 C2S with Bose.
I had what seems to be a very common problem with my PCM cycling on and off. Not always but impossible to predict and then uncontrollable.
I called Becker Audio in NJ and they were very helpful and said this was a PCM issue and not a AMP.
I had been thinking of switching the head unit anyway to have something a bit more 2020's....
I am in Central Florida and went to 5 Star Audio in Clearwater. I now have a nice Kenwood system.... and it was no issue at all... took about 2.5 hours.
The PCm rebuild was going to be $995. The entire new head unit was $17xx-ish installed.
I can't do timed laps on the system (but never did) and can't contril the wart of the dash (but never did that either).

So there... just an update.
The following users liked this post:
jbkusa (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023 | 12:05 AM
Schulr
Advanced

I did a reset on the amp/pccm and it seems to have fixed the issue. Time will tell. Also, rear window is finally fixed, a real pain.

Bob
Old 12-30-2023 | 07:42 AM
David Berry
Racer

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
So a quick update.
2009 C2S with Bose.
I had what seems to be a very common problem with my PCM cycling on and off. Not always but impossible to predict and then uncontrollable.
I called Becker Audio in NJ and they were very helpful and said this was a PCM issue and not a AMP.
I had been thinking of switching the head unit anyway to have something a bit more 2020's....
I am in Central Florida and went to 5 Star Audio in Clearwater. I now have a nice Kenwood system.... and it was no issue at all... took about 2.5 hours.
The PCm rebuild was going to be $995. The entire new head unit was $17xx-ish installed.
I can't do timed laps on the system (but never did) and can't contril the wart of the dash (but never did that either).

So there... just an update.
$17xx ish? $1,700 ?
ouch
Old 12-31-2023 | 12:37 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Originally Posted by David Berry
$17xx ish? $1,700 ?
ouch
Would need to look again. There's not that much between $1700 and $1800.. so the ish is somewhere in there :-)
Realistically, it was less than expected.
There is a Rennlist Member who posted about using this same company a few years ago... which is why I went to them.
I think his out of pocket was around $1500....
I'll take the extra $200 or $300.... easy!
I bought this car new. I won't sell it. After 14 years, the Audio system that was acting up needed to be brought into current times. The car still performs so much better than the rest, The modified exhaust was a huge plus.
Sometimes it's a $4000 annual checkup and makes all new... sometimes, it's barely $1000.
I;m a pilot and those maintenance fees seem low :-)
Anyway... If anywayone is experiencing the same issues with their PCM... it's well worth spending $17xx-ish to get that taken care of!
I love my car... still after 14 years!

Last edited by CtrUSA; 12-31-2023 at 12:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NoWANG (01-08-2024)
Old 08-13-2024 | 06:47 AM
ThunderSpook
2nd Gear

I have now taken to making sure the audio is switched off before I stop the engine, or certainly before I restart the engine.

It resets if the car has been off for about 20 minutes, so I presume there is some sort of power down happening to something. I was wondering if it might be possible to fit a power switch to whatever it is that is causing the problem (presumably the amp) so that when this happens, you could properly power cycle the amp, unless of course there is capacitors in the amp that cause this problem.
Old 08-13-2024 | 10:13 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
So a quick update.
2009 C2S with Bose.
2009 C2S 201K miles

I just read this and can confirm, 100%, that the problem I had as did most here, was caused by the amp and not the PCM head unit. How do I know? I purchased a new, replacement amp from a Porsche dealer and the problem is gone.... 100%. So either your problem is not what most here has experienced, or there was a miscommunication between you and Becker, or I just dunno. But this is an amp problem.

My symptoms... for years and years BTW... I run the audio (no matter of source) for "a while" and usually at a higher volume... shut the car off to get gas... turn the car on and audio is silent except for the woofer on the back deck. So just whumfing sound. Wait 15-20 minutes and it comes back. Resetting, shutting the car off again, opening closing the door, spinning on my right heel, cussing in Farsi.... nothing worked.

Read here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tting-out.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-13-2024 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2024 | 11:17 AM
Schulr
Advanced

Good info Bruce, at least we have a potential repair facility to correct the issue.

Bob
Old 08-13-2024 | 02:06 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I replaced the caps and renewed the thermal compound on mine some years ago. The problem went away, for about six months.

It does seem to be heat related and 99% of my failures were after driving, then shutting down for a few minutes, and then starting up again. But I did have this happen on a 40F morning from a cold start, one time only.

Lately it seems to have self cured, but not totally. It is infrequent. It isn't a big deal. I've decided to tolerate it.

Quick Reply: Stock PCCM Suddenly Plays All Audio Muffled