Sponsored by:

Wheel Lock Key?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 10:06 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts
Default Wheel Lock Key?

I'm in the process of selling my Boxster (yes I know this is the 997 page) and during the buyers PPI, they discovered the lock key is missing. I had no idea it was gone and had never used it. Short of buying a whole new wheel lock set from Porsche, anybody know how to get a new key that will fit my locks. Grrrr, wheel locks. Dumbest thing ever. The only one the prevent from removing the wheels is the owner.

Thanks, Pdawg.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:18 AM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Do you have any documentation for the original lock?(serial number or key code?) If you do you might be able to go to stealership and see if they can get the right key. I’m not sure who manufactures the lock that Porsche sells. If you knew that you might be able to reach out to that company directly.

What about just getting rid of the locks all together?

most tire shops can get the locking nut off but the nut will be trashed and then you you could replace with std nut. That’s what I ended up doing in the past. Frustrating!
Old 11-04-2023, 10:28 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

No, just the VIN of the car. That's the other problem. The locks have to come off as well in order to change them. That will require someone to get them off. It may all require a dealer or shop regardless. Frustrating yes but at least I didn't find out on the side of the road. It might be less expensive for the locks. I'm not sure you can buy 4 wheel lugs?
Old 11-04-2023, 10:31 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

If you take the car to the dealer, they have all the keysets and can remove it for you. I never lost my key but I decided to just replace all the lock nuts anyway to avoid having issues with dealer techs forgetting to put it back in the front trunk after removing a wheel or if the car’s battery dies.
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 10:33 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Yes, I would recommend taking it to the dealer, they will have the key and then replace those bolts with the standard bolts, around $10/piece. I just removed my wheel locks this past year. Criminals can get around wheel lock keys and it's more of a headache when you need to swap wheels.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:54 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 724 Likes on 453 Posts

Drive it to the dealer, ask them to remove the key locks and replace them with regular bolts. It's not expensive for 4 bolts. 10 minutes, you are done.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:58 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 980 Posts

2009 C2S 193K miles

The dealer has a set of keys, each is numbered. Drive in, they test the set against yours and determine the key number. Given the number, they then can order you a new key/bolt. Really simple but expensive.... I did it, can't remember the cost but it wasn't cheap.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 11-04-2023, 11:05 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

It's going to be expensive regardless. The dealer won't even glance out the window to look at it without a service fee. Bruce's idea might actually be the most cost effective, even if it's a ridiculous amount for a cheap key. The second it gets pulled in the bay to remove it, it's $$. I have found the dealer's won't do anything gratis, even if it's something simple like loosening your wheel locks in the parking lot so you can change the lugs onsite yourself.
Old 11-04-2023, 11:12 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

https://a.co/d/hvi7Qf1]http://REXBETI Impact Bolt & Nut Remover Set, 13 Pieces Bolt Extractor Tool Set with Solid Storage Case https://a.co/d/hvi7Qf1[/url]

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...BoCv2EQAvD_BwE
Old 11-04-2023, 12:10 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

I was replacing tires on my parents Volvo while they were on vacation, at a Mr Tire. Turns out they had wheel locks and no one knew where the key was. Luckily they also had the regular bolts.

A short drive to the Volvo dealership and the service advisor first said they can’t just take off the wheel locks and let me drive off but I said I had the other bolts so he brought out 2 boxes full of locks that I tried out.

Did it all myself in the drive through drop off area for free. Ymmv with Porsche but I’d be a bit annoyed if they tried to charge me anything.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:14 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This may work.... get another set of used lugs from ebay to replace the lock lug. Plenty of similar products out there, do some research before you buy. Common in auto parts stores.

I never used one but sure looks like it would work... anyone?

schttps://www.amazon.com/Universal-Socket-Self-adjusting-Fits-Standard/dp/B08CGPC3KV/ref=sr_1_5?crid=KOKAVBM1YRTO&keywords=universal%2Blug%2Bnut%2Bsocket&qid =1699110773&sprefix=universal%2Blug%2Caps%2C97&sr=8-5&th=1ouse

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-04-2023 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:17 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
It's going to be expensive regardless. The dealer won't even glance out the window to look at it without a service fee. Bruce's idea might actually be the most cost effective, even if it's a ridiculous amount for a cheap key. The second it gets pulled in the bay to remove it, it's $$. I have found the dealer's won't do anything gratis, even if it's something simple like loosening your wheel locks in the parking lot so you can change the lugs onsite yourself.
The dealer does not have to remove your wheel, loosen the lug, nor even take your car into the bay. My dealer just had the tech come out into the parking lot with a box of locks... took a total of 15 seconds to do. I was not charged for any service, only the part. Gotta call when the part came in, and I picked it up. No extra charges.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-04-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:28 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
If you take the car to the dealer, they have all the keysets and can remove it for you. I never lost my key but I decided to just replace all the lock nuts anyway to avoid having issues with dealer techs forgetting to put it back in the front trunk after removing a wheel or if the car’s battery dies.
I did the same. Drove over to the dealership and the parts rep handed me the master key lock set. I was able to find the right one, remove all the locks, and replace with standard lug nuts.
Carreralicious (11-04-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 08:48 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the ideas guys. Took the car to the dealer yesterday. Matched up with the proper key and ordered. All set.

Thank you.
jbkusa (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 10:06 AM
pigfoot
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

997 should use No.50~59, check which number and can find them on amazon.

Quick Reply: Wheel Lock Key?