Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$9 solution for automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 12:43 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 818 Posts

Auto lights are extremely nice if you live in an area with tunnels. When we were driving through Switzerland in Pam's new car I fell in love with the auto lights. Nice to see a solution for the 997. Thank you!!!
Old 08-20-2023, 08:59 AM
Scb1712
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I would love to try this as well but have to admit I know absolutely nothing about wiring a circuit board. Is the board purchased as is and you just connect a couple of wires? That I could probably manage. I have a US car that was imported to Canada and wanted to do the DRL hack but for some reason, when the car was imported it was set up so the DRLs turn on all of the lights (headlight, markers and twilights) and I can’t figure out how to change that.

Last edited by Scb1712; 08-20-2023 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2023, 02:27 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolwnc
I am amazed how many people drive at dusk or rain in a dark colored car with no headlight/driving lights on. In the old days we would flash our lights to remind them to turn lights on. But today with cell phones that they are screwing with they are distracted! Auto lights make scent! That's my 2 cents!
Its also that modern clusters are lit 24/7, regardless if it’s dark + some DRLs are almost as bright as headlights.
Old 08-22-2023, 08:37 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

My only question... how do you get ground when the switch is in the home position???
Old 08-22-2023, 01:13 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
My only question... how do you get ground when the switch is in the home position???
That is actually the beauty of (t)his solution:
The Porsche switch is "active ground". That means when "HOME" is selected, pin 2 goes to ground.
And if you use that, then the circuit is only getting power when the switch is set to HOME.
Old 08-23-2023, 11:21 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

The op's idea is great... but before everyone rides this wagon, I'm thinking why porsche did not give this option... the answer might be because we have hid light that actually take.time.to.brighten. if passing through a tunnel the auto headlights might be turning off already before it fully brightens... so fir this hack to be really useful I think we should also convert to leds... just a thought...
Old 08-23-2023, 11:43 AM
buccicone
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
When it starts to get dark you turn on the lights. When you turn car off you shut off lights.
I coulld never understand having auto-lights - I never use them in my Mercedes SUV, my wife never uses them in her Mercedes sedan.
Why would you want them in a Porsche?
Are people that forgetful and poor eyesight not to see that lights weren't turned off when turning off car??

It's for the idiots on the road I see consistently driving when it is dark.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:34 PM
trassalpl
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
The op's idea is great... but before everyone rides this wagon, I'm thinking why porsche did not give this option... the answer might be because we have hid light that actually take.time.to.brighten. if passing through a tunnel the auto headlights might be turning off already before it fully brightens... so fir this hack to be really useful I think we should also convert to leds... just a thought...
I'm already turning these very lights on/off in tunnels manually, I don't see what the automation has to do here.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:28 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I would never do this because I kind of like turning on the lights myself, but this is a pretty cool solution nonetheless. Thanks for sharing!
The following users liked this post:
csmab (12-25-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 02:46 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 240 Posts

I think I'm pretty good in turning the lights on/off myself, but my daughter has never driven a car which didn't have auto headlights.
When she drives the 997 I feel much better that it has auto-headlights
Old 08-23-2023, 06:08 PM
funnelofdoom
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry it's taking so long but one problem I identified is that the module is a bit large to easily pull in and out, my wiring is a bit short, and while there is a time delay to turn the lights off, there isn't one to turn them on. The off delay is enough to avoid shortening your HID life, but it's annoying to have lights come on immediately when passing a short tunnel, I've found.

So I ended up ordering a very small, simple programmable timer circuit which is housed in a plastic housing and a new photosensitive relay (which I can buy a custom enclosure for and is much smaller - thanks Hatzenbach for suggesting an enclosure and elucidating me on the differences between a photodiode and a photoresistor). The timer circuit can program both an on and an off delay and is tiny. I will be getting the parts tomorrow and will mock something up hopefully before the weekend depending on my schedule. I will put up some pictures and links to parts (about $20 for the timer and light sensor - not including wiring) and how I wired it asap then more detailed instructions later on.

I was staunchly anti-auto headlights for a while but after using them for a while, I kept forgetting to turn off my headlights. This is exacerbated by the fact that the 997 turns off its headlights but leaves others on with the ignition off which makes it easy to forget to turn off your lights sometimes, especially if you use the home function. Admittedly, I'm now used to it so this project is more about just tinkering more than anything for me. It's probably the cheapest mod I've done to the car and just kinda fun to do.

For anyone wanting to do this, the hardest part is making the wiring harness if you don't want to splice the OEM harness. It's cheap and honestly not that bad. You can still just splice into the custom harness and I found a part that should work. The other is programming the timer. However, I can help out with that if anyone wants to attempt it.

Last edited by funnelofdoom; 08-23-2023 at 06:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hatzenbach (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 09:33 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Sure would like to see this project till the end... thanks for sharing..
Old 08-23-2023, 10:41 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

+1, plus step-by-step instruction on what I need to do and get - thanks heaps OP!
Old 08-24-2023, 03:28 AM
trassalpl
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks @funnelofdoom (and everyone contributing to this discussion).
As others here, I got used to it on our other car (a basic Citroen from 2006 we use for the beach, no less), and it’s at least 5 or 6 tunnels every time I take the car, so if it can be done for a few bucks and teach me something at the same time, I’m definitely game .
Old 08-24-2023, 09:33 AM
leloupgris
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by funnelofdoom
Sorry it's taking so long but one problem I identified is that the module is a bit large to easily pull in and out, my wiring is a bit short, and while there is a time delay to turn the lights off, there isn't one to turn them on. The off delay is enough to avoid shortening your HID life, but it's annoying to have lights come on immediately when passing a short tunnel, I've found.

So I ended up ordering a very small, simple programmable timer circuit which is housed in a plastic housing and a new photosensitive relay (which I can buy a custom enclosure for and is much smaller - thanks Hatzenbach for suggesting an enclosure and elucidating me on the differences between a photodiode and a photoresistor). The timer circuit can program both an on and an off delay and is tiny. I will be getting the parts tomorrow and will mock something up hopefully before the weekend depending on my schedule. I will put up some pictures and links to parts (about $20 for the timer and light sensor - not including wiring) and how I wired it asap then more detailed instructions later on.

I was staunchly anti-auto headlights for a while but after using them for a while, I kept forgetting to turn off my headlights. This is exacerbated by the fact that the 997 turns off its headlights but leaves others on with the ignition off which makes it easy to forget to turn off your lights sometimes, especially if you use the home function. Admittedly, I'm now used to it so this project is more about just tinkering more than anything for me. It's probably the cheapest mod I've done to the car and just kinda fun to do.

For anyone wanting to do this, the hardest part is making the wiring harness if you don't want to splice the OEM harness. It's cheap and honestly not that bad. You can still just splice into the custom harness and I found a part that should work. The other is programming the timer. However, I can help out with that if anyone wants to attempt it.
Great, I am waiting for your feedback.
For custom enclosures, 3D printing one would be a solution. My wife just offered me a 3D printer, and I would be willing to try to do this.

Quick Reply: $9 solution for automatic headlights