Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 10:50 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts
Default 997.2 Odd Oil Level Readings

191K miles C2S

Ok, I am really getting annoyed. I have posted before that my car oil level readings can be wonky... and consistently wonky for 10 years. But now I am getting more annoyed. Opinions? Anyone have the same symptoms?

I just changed the oil a few weeks ago... I filled until the dash meter was full to the top line. Drove, drove, and drove. It dropped one click... OK, so far so good. I then go on a 5 hour highway drive, come back and I am at the bottom line. I think it is wonky... drove the next day running errands, come back and now the below-line marker is flashing. I parked and ran the car to hot the next day and checked again, yes flashing. oh oh..... so I am burning oil (exactly 2000 miles since oil change) ? So... I add exactly one litre. My manual notes min to max is 1.25 liter. What did it read from flashing low with 1 liter added? Solid full... at the top line. WTF?

I have noticed for 10 years, that it drops slowly when full and faster as it is used... but this is very accelerated behaviour.

I think I will finally change that sender at my next oil change.

Anyone do this for a .2? Does the unit need some sort of calibration by the dealer?

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 07-05-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 02:43 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

I would say this can occur with drastic weather changes, or driving then sitting for a while. I have had this exact low light warning only to top off to top mark with 1qt added?, no reason other than temp change/infrequent driving I think. I think when the oil is changed quite a bit of oil is stored in the new oil filter, giving false readings. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:19 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

Isn’t there a printed quantity for oil change with filter replacement. If there is, that’s what I would install.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:25 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Owner's manual has fluid capacities listed. For my 09 4s it says "Oil change quantity with oil filter approx. 7.9 quarts/7.5 liters". Not sure for C2S.
Old 07-05-2023, 05:30 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

My car uses oil very slow or not at all for about 2000 miles, then burns down to the bottom over the next 1000. 1/2 Qt gets it back to halfway. I attribute this to the oil losing its shearing film strength. Now I have noticed that when I drive a lot of short trips the oil level doesn't change that much until I drive a long highway trip when it drops 2 bars. I attribute this to water vapor adding volume to the oil which doesn't evaporate in short trips but does on long highway trips. Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2023, 05:35 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by BucketList
My car uses oil very slow or not at all for about 2000 miles, then burns down to the bottom over the next 1000. 1/2 Qt gets it back to halfway. I attribute this to the oil losing its shearing film strength. Now I have noticed that when I drive a lot of short trips the oil level doesn't change that much until I drive a long highway trip when it drops 2 bars. I attribute this to water vapor adding volume to the oil which doesn't evaporate in short trips but does on long highway trips. Thoughts?
The short trips might be replacing burnt oil with condensation. A long trip will get the oil hot enough for a long enough duration to evaporate the condensation from the oil.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:01 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

I can only speak from my own experience. I have 23k mi on my 997.2. It's used a few times during the summer when I
can get it thoroughly warmed up and drive a hundred miles or more. I find that following the owners manual of not filling the
top section of the gauge is too full. A few years ago I replaced the A/O separator because it was contaminated from over filling.
It would let out a cloud of blue smoke at startup. I always leave the top two oil gauge sections empty now and that seems to have
taken care of the problem. Since I don't put on many miles I have not noticed any oil usage between changes.
Oil is changed every fall before storage.

Last edited by bheit1; 07-05-2023 at 09:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JAAM (07-05-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 02:42 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

Sorry I don't have the source but a while ago I read an interesting technical article about the coefficient of thermal expansion on oils used in cars. The article concluded that cold vs hot oil can have a change in volume which is as great as 5%. Oil does expand with temperature so it made sense to me. If your car holds 8 - 10 quarts of oil that can translate to a noticeable difference. This is why it's recommended not fill the oil to the full mark.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Odd Oil Level Readings