Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery voltage draw-down characteristics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 03:50 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Some say that the resting voltage of a 12v AGM should be about 12.8v. Look up the specs for your specific battery. Also consider getting a charging system test at a competent shop with the right equipment that's working ok. Your locale's temperature extremes may influence your battery life.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:40 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by patentguy
Until I read this thread, I didn't have the battery reading displayed on my screen. My car has its original AGM battery, approaching three years. Never had a battery problem, drive daily, don't use a battery tender.
So I turned on the battery display out of curiosity. It reads 12.1 V with engine off. The other day, it sat at about 13.5 V while driving, with bumps up to 15.3 V when braking, as discussed above. Today, on a half hour drive in the morning, it sat at 14.7 V for half the drive and then dropped down to 13.5 V. Coming home in the afternoon, it was pegged at 14.7 V the whole way.
Is all of this normal, or should I have the dealer look at it before the warranty runs out?
Absolutely and perfectly normal... Your voltages will vary all the time depending on the load and if the Alternator is actively charging, and what accessories like the A/C, or other accessories are on. The charging system generally charges the battery up to 14.6v overall and your battery will drop back down to its normal voltage of roughly 12.6~8v when not being driven. An Alternator or Charger charges the battery up into the mid 14s but then the battery drops back down to is resting/nominal voltage when your not driving. But, 12.1v when the engine is off would be low... but maybe you didn't drive for several days the the battery was drained a little from the parasitic draws of your vehicles system when not driving.

You will get flags, or the car won't start well when the batteries are failing.... this indicates it's not holding a charge. Lastly, you should actually be keeping your car on Porsches charger if you are not driving often enough to keep it in a good state of charge. Oh yeah another last thing... don't let you batteries over-discharge to point of needing jump starts below about 8v the battery can get damaged and below that and the longer you leave it there the more damage to your battery and that is why it won't last long.... coupled with the fact that they are not making Lead/Acid Batteries to last long nowadays, they want recurring revenue.

Last edited by Antigravity; 11-13-2023 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:47 PM
patentguy
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Battery voltage draw-down characteristics?