Sponsored by:

Retrofitting Aux-In to PCM3.0 - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023 | 12:52 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Default Retrofitting Aux-In to PCM3.0 - DIY

Retrofitting Aux In to PCM 3.0 - DIY Instructions

So this has been an interesting project – now there will be people who will answer this thread with ‘why didn’t you just put in a modern head unit’ type of questions. Totally understand, I personally want to keep the car original as possible and the addition the capability to add Bluetooth streaming through a dongle on the AUX in will allow me to use Nav and music off my phone. Enough for me, I don’t want full Apple Carplay or Android Auto but each to their own. For those who want to add the Carplay retrofit kit such as Joye Auto you will need the AUX in enabled if you don’t already have it.

For those adding aftermarket head units there is pin out information below that should help wiring in the existing ports into a modern headunit if you want to keep the connectors in the armrest functional.

That said if you want to add the AUX in the ‘official’ way of doing it is through Telequipment part # 997 044 902 034 - Universal Audio Interface (price: $500+). listed on Suncoast here

In addition to this you need the PCM unit coded at a dealer (with PIWIS) and the unit installed so you are looking at $1000+ from the dealership.

So, I decided that as I have a PIWIS clone I would go down the path of doing this myself. The activation codes are easily available from the web, and they work – I brought a code from Fast-Code and got AUX activated. There are cheap kits on eBay that provide the Bluetooth dongle on an interposer harness – I got one and decided I was not happy with this (the dongle is always on and draining current from the battery even on key-off) so I decided to do the full AUX in install as it came from the factory.

I found the Service bulletin referenced on the 911UK website, and the OP on that thread helpfully sent me the PDF. The ECS tuning website is also handy here as they have pictures of the official Telequipment kit detailing the various parts, not just the major pieces, which helps a lot in the investigation

The complete kit is shown above. Most previous threads have missed out some parts. Most significantly part 997.044.902.43, this is not surprising as it’s not listed in the parts diagrams!

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/790b1781-7e8a-4ed0-9970-e80a858ee65f[/img]

The parts catalog gives the connecting cable (part 36 in the above) as 997 612 049 75 - connecting line, Multimedia interface. This isn’t the whole wiring harness but rather half - just the coax line with the yellow connector. The wiring with the Green connectors in the picture below isn’t included.

Even more confusingly some of these parts can get called different things, the Coax wire in the parts diagram above, 997 612 049 75 I brought from a Porsche dealership, and it came labelled as ‘Connecting Cable IPOD’ in their dealer parts system, which is totally misleading as when I got into the wiring diagrams, I found out this is actually the USB connection.

So some sleuthing through the TSB detailing the retrofit from 911UK gives the parts you need to retrofit the AUX in as;
  • 997 642 465 00 01C - adaptor Multimedia interface, satin black (price ~$90) (33 on the diagram)
  • 997 553 613 00 - Rubber mat for the center (~$15) (26 on the second diagram 809-20)
  • 997.044.902.43 – Wiring Harness Multimedia interface (not shown on the diagram) (Price ~$500)
  • 999 073 429 01 - tapping screw, 4.2 x 25 (price ~$1) (35 on the diagram)
  • 999 507 908 01 (999 507 922 01) – U Clamp (31 on the second diagram 809-20)
  • 997 612 471 01 - connecting cable, iPod (price ~$35) (34 on the diagram)
So the difference between the two cable harness parts (997 612 049 75 - connecting line, Multimedia interface and 997.044.902.43 – Wiring Harness Multimedia interface) is that one is just the USB connecting cable and one is the full wiring harness.

The other part that you need is the UClamp 999 507 908 01 – this is shown below in the parts catalog, confusingly not on the same diagram as the rest of the kit. Part 31 below.

Now to collecting the parts from the TSB together.

997 612 471 01 - connecting cable, iPod (price ~$35) isn’t essential if you are planning on adding a Bluetooth dongle or USB audio so I didn’t buy this part. Also the Telequipment kit includes a couple of cable ties that I skipped as not being essential as well.

The actual interface part in the armrest and the rubber mat are cheap off eBay from breakers, and the screws and clips are cheap (<$10 for the parts you need from your dealership).

The part that is confusing and jumps out is 997.044.902.43 - $500 for a wiring cable? The coax half of this is 997 612 049 75 - price ~$65 from your Porsche dealership. This is handy as DIY-ing these coax connectors would be difficult.

This leaves $440 for the rest of the cable assembly which is some twisted pair and connectors. Twisted pair is dirt cheap so I started down the rathole of investigating this part of the cable assembly. Luckily the cheap Chinese Bluetooth dongle and interposer harness from eBay gave me the part number for the connector on the PCM end, and the center armrest part gave me the part numbers for the socket at that end – turns out they are made by TE Connectivity, a major global manufacturer of connectors for the automotive world. Sleuthing around on their website eventually gave me the part numbers for all the connectors. The connectors are in 2 parts, a simple connector ‘block’ that holds the pins and a sleeve that customizes the block to fit into the socket.

The TE part numbers for the connectors are;

1394048-1 – PCM Head Unit Connector Block

2-1355524-3 – PCM Head Unit Connector Sleeve

1534125-1 – Arm Rest Connector Block

1534172-1 – Arm Rest Connector Sleeve

5-9289991-1 – Connector pins

Next issue was that these are typically only available in reels of 3500 parts for production runs! However, poking around on the TE website reveals a useful button labelled ‘Order Samples’ – Yes! TE will happily send you the parts you need as a free of charge sample! They turn up in less than a week anywhere in the world, shipped from a warehouse in Germany.

The PIWIS software gives wiring diagrams for the connectors, here if you want to connect to a modern head unit you can use these wiring diagrams to custom make a cable assembly or interposer harness.

Pinout for the connector in the center armrest above, A1 – A5 are the coax I purchased from Porsche.

B1 – B3 is the shielded cable (grey in the picture below)

B5 – B10 – Twisted Pair

Corresponding connector in the ‘brick’ in the back of the PCM above.

Easy to solder up the sample parts into a harness, especially if you don’t take the pins apart before you do the soldering.

As per the Porsche part the grey shielded cables are for the audio, twisted pair for the IPOD connections and two single runs. I couldn’t get the color coding exactly the same but I got as close as I could with wiring available to me locally. The pins above just slide into the connector block which then slides into the adaptor. Then you assemble the two cables you have into one harness with some electrical tape leaving some free at the ends so you can install the connectors.

From there is a case of installing – the Service bulletin gives the methodology, you have to remove the center console – there I a good writeup of that methodology here on rennlist here - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...moval-diy.html

You have to remove the lighter socket in the armrest cubby – the AUX in wires go through the hole, and it’s a pain to remove. I elected not to disconnect the wiring harness and take the center console out completely so I didn’t trip the airbag warning light. Consequently taking the lighter socket out took a bit of cursing.

The coin holder has to come out (held by 1 screw and squeeze the clips on the sides from underneath to remove) and the two U clamps get installed on this – the barbs go on the coin holder side. There are a couple of notches in the bottom of the holder where these go and they line up with the two corresponding ‘spades’ on the adaptor interface part. It should look like this before you put it back in. If you don’t include these u clamps the adaptor part will get pushed upwards by the cable underneath and you’ll have an unsightly gap.

Then thread the cable harness you made from the Porsche Coax and the homemade twisted pair under the console, through the hole for the lighter socket and loop it through the clamps molded into the bottom of the interface unit, the TSB is helpful here showing the routing.

It’s a bit tight under there but it works well. Screw your coin holder back in and reassemble the center console. Use the longer screws to reassemble the AUX in plate in the center armrest – it sits higher than the plate you took out, hence the longer screws. At the head unit end it a case of threading the cable around the back of the center stack to the driver’s side where there is an arm that holds the cables when you take the PCM unit out. Get the cable looped around to your satisfaction with enough slack to allow easy installation and removal of the PCM unit.

Remove the PCM unit and install the plug connector on the twisted pair lines into the big connector block on the PCM. It goes into the bottom left of the connector block as viewed from the PCM – the black block to the left of the blue in the picture below. The coax goes into the corresponding plug on the back of the PCM, black connector in the picture below. The Yellow is the radio antenna.

Now your center armrest should look like this;

Then you code up the headunit with PIWIS, codes are available online for sites like Code Fast Buy or others (no affiliation), PIWIS clones are covered extensively elsewhere so I won't cover here, and finally turn on the menu options for the AUX-in.

Then sit back and enjoy your 2000’s era technology!!

Last edited by Tj40; 06-15-2023 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add images
The following 3 users liked this post by Tj40:
EVOMMM (06-25-2023), festina-lente (06-19-2023), myltz400 (06-15-2023)
Old 06-25-2023 | 12:10 AM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Tj, lots of great research and technical how-to.
The following users liked this post:
Tj40 (06-25-2023)
Old 09-29-2024 | 06:23 PM
Petr Skorcik
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Tj40
Retrofitting Aux In to PCM 3.0 - DIY Instructions

So this has been an interesting project – now there will be people who will answer this thread with ‘why didn’t you just put in a modern head unit’ type of questions. Totally understand, I personally want to keep the car original as possible and the addition the capability to add Bluetooth streaming through a dongle on the AUX in will allow me to use Nav and music off my phone. Enough for me, I don’t want full Apple Carplay or Android Auto but each to their own. For those who want to add the Carplay retrofit kit such as Joye Auto you will need the AUX in enabled if you don’t already have it.

For those adding aftermarket head units there is pin out information below that should help wiring in the existing ports into a modern headunit if you want to keep the connectors in the armrest functional.

That said if you want to add the AUX in the ‘official’ way of doing it is through Telequipment part # 997 044 902 034 - Universal Audio Interface (price: $500+). listed on Suncoast here

In addition to this you need the PCM unit coded at a dealer (with PIWIS) and the unit installed so you are looking at $1000+ from the dealership.

So, I decided that as I have a PIWIS clone I would go down the path of doing this myself. The activation codes are easily available from the web, and they work – I brought a code from Fast-Code and got AUX activated. There are cheap kits on eBay that provide the Bluetooth dongle on an interposer harness – I got one and decided I was not happy with this (the dongle is always on and draining current from the battery even on key-off) so I decided to do the full AUX in install as it came from the factory.

I found the Service bulletin referenced on the 911UK website, and the OP on that thread helpfully sent me the PDF. The ECS tuning website is also handy here as they have pictures of the official Telequipment kit detailing the various parts, not just the major pieces, which helps a lot in the investigation

The complete kit is shown above. Most previous threads have missed out some parts. Most significantly part 997.044.902.43, this is not surprising as it’s not listed in the parts diagrams!

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/790b1781-7e8a-4ed0-9970-e80a858ee65f[/img]

The parts catalog gives the connecting cable (part 36 in the above) as 997 612 049 75 - connecting line, Multimedia interface. This isn’t the whole wiring harness but rather half - just the coax line with the yellow connector. The wiring with the Green connectors in the picture below isn’t included.

Even more confusingly some of these parts can get called different things, the Coax wire in the parts diagram above, 997 612 049 75 I brought from a Porsche dealership, and it came labelled as ‘Connecting Cable IPOD’ in their dealer parts system, which is totally misleading as when I got into the wiring diagrams, I found out this is actually the USB connection.

So some sleuthing through the TSB detailing the retrofit from 911UK gives the parts you need to retrofit the AUX in as;
  • 997 642 465 00 01C - adaptor Multimedia interface, satin black (price ~$90) (33 on the diagram)
  • 997 553 613 00 - Rubber mat for the center (~$15) (26 on the second diagram 809-20)
  • 997.044.902.43 – Wiring Harness Multimedia interface (not shown on the diagram) (Price ~$500)
  • 999 073 429 01 - tapping screw, 4.2 x 25 (price ~$1) (35 on the diagram)
  • 999 507 908 01 (999 507 922 01) – U Clamp (31 on the second diagram 809-20)
  • 997 612 471 01 - connecting cable, iPod (price ~$35) (34 on the diagram)
So the difference between the two cable harness parts (997 612 049 75 - connecting line, Multimedia interface and 997.044.902.43 – Wiring Harness Multimedia interface) is that one is just the USB connecting cable and one is the full wiring harness.

The other part that you need is the UClamp 999 507 908 01 – this is shown below in the parts catalog, confusingly not on the same diagram as the rest of the kit. Part 31 below.

Now to collecting the parts from the TSB together.

997 612 471 01 - connecting cable, iPod (price ~$35) isn’t essential if you are planning on adding a Bluetooth dongle or USB audio so I didn’t buy this part. Also the Telequipment kit includes a couple of cable ties that I skipped as not being essential as well.

The actual interface part in the armrest and the rubber mat are cheap off eBay from breakers, and the screws and clips are cheap (<$10 for the parts you need from your dealership).

The part that is confusing and jumps out is 997.044.902.43 - $500 for a wiring cable? The coax half of this is 997 612 049 75 - price ~$65 from your Porsche dealership. This is handy as DIY-ing these coax connectors would be difficult.

This leaves $440 for the rest of the cable assembly which is some twisted pair and connectors. Twisted pair is dirt cheap so I started down the rathole of investigating this part of the cable assembly. Luckily the cheap Chinese Bluetooth dongle and interposer harness from eBay gave me the part number for the connector on the PCM end, and the center armrest part gave me the part numbers for the socket at that end – turns out they are made by TE Connectivity, a major global manufacturer of connectors for the automotive world. Sleuthing around on their website eventually gave me the part numbers for all the connectors. The connectors are in 2 parts, a simple connector ‘block’ that holds the pins and a sleeve that customizes the block to fit into the socket.

The TE part numbers for the connectors are;

1394048-1 – PCM Head Unit Connector Block

2-1355524-3 – PCM Head Unit Connector Sleeve

1534125-1 – Arm Rest Connector Block

1534172-1 – Arm Rest Connector Sleeve

5-9289991-1 – Connector pins

Next issue was that these are typically only available in reels of 3500 parts for production runs! However, poking around on the TE website reveals a useful button labelled ‘Order Samples’ – Yes! TE will happily send you the parts you need as a free of charge sample! They turn up in less than a week anywhere in the world, shipped from a warehouse in Germany.

The PIWIS software gives wiring diagrams for the connectors, here if you want to connect to a modern head unit you can use these wiring diagrams to custom make a cable assembly or interposer harness.

Pinout for the connector in the center armrest above, A1 – A5 are the coax I purchased from Porsche.

B1 – B3 is the shielded cable (grey in the picture below)

B5 – B10 – Twisted Pair

Corresponding connector in the ‘brick’ in the back of the PCM above.

Easy to solder up the sample parts into a harness, especially if you don’t take the pins apart before you do the soldering.

As per the Porsche part the grey shielded cables are for the audio, twisted pair for the IPOD connections and two single runs. I couldn’t get the color coding exactly the same but I got as close as I could with wiring available to me locally. The pins above just slide into the connector block which then slides into the adaptor. Then you assemble the two cables you have into one harness with some electrical tape leaving some free at the ends so you can install the connectors.

From there is a case of installing – the Service bulletin gives the methodology, you have to remove the center console – there I a good writeup of that methodology here on rennlist here - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...moval-diy.html

You have to remove the lighter socket in the armrest cubby – the AUX in wires go through the hole, and it’s a pain to remove. I elected not to disconnect the wiring harness and take the center console out completely so I didn’t trip the airbag warning light. Consequently taking the lighter socket out took a bit of cursing.

The coin holder has to come out (held by 1 screw and squeeze the clips on the sides from underneath to remove) and the two U clamps get installed on this – the barbs go on the coin holder side. There are a couple of notches in the bottom of the holder where these go and they line up with the two corresponding ‘spades’ on the adaptor interface part. It should look like this before you put it back in. If you don’t include these u clamps the adaptor part will get pushed upwards by the cable underneath and you’ll have an unsightly gap.

Then thread the cable harness you made from the Porsche Coax and the homemade twisted pair under the console, through the hole for the lighter socket and loop it through the clamps molded into the bottom of the interface unit, the TSB is helpful here showing the routing.

It’s a bit tight under there but it works well. Screw your coin holder back in and reassemble the center console. Use the longer screws to reassemble the AUX in plate in the center armrest – it sits higher than the plate you took out, hence the longer screws. At the head unit end it a case of threading the cable around the back of the center stack to the driver’s side where there is an arm that holds the cables when you take the PCM unit out. Get the cable looped around to your satisfaction with enough slack to allow easy installation and removal of the PCM unit.

Remove the PCM unit and install the plug connector on the twisted pair lines into the big connector block on the PCM. It goes into the bottom left of the connector block as viewed from the PCM – the black block to the left of the blue in the picture below. The coax goes into the corresponding plug on the back of the PCM, black connector in the picture below. The Yellow is the radio antenna.

Now your center armrest should look like this;

Then you code up the headunit with PIWIS, codes are available online for sites like Code Fast Buy or others (no affiliation), PIWIS clones are covered extensively elsewhere so I won't cover here, and finally turn on the menu options for the AUX-in.

Then sit back and enjoy your 2000’s era technology!!
426 / 5 000
Hello, sorry for my english, I'm writing through a translator. I was interested in your instructions for installing aux and usb in the 997.2. I have the same problem. Can i ask you a few more things? If I want to use only the USB connector, only the coaxial cable 997 612 049 75 would be enough for me ??? According to how you describe, you found out from the wiring diagrams that it is not a cable for the iPod but for the USB connector.
I will be very grateful for an answer.
Thank you Petr
Old 09-30-2024 | 09:08 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petr Skorcik
426 / 5 000
Hello, sorry for my english, I'm writing through a translator. I was interested in your instructions for installing aux and usb in the 997.2. I have the same problem. Can i ask you a few more things? If I want to use only the USB connector, only the coaxial cable 997 612 049 75 would be enough for me ??? According to how you describe, you found out from the wiring diagrams that it is not a cable for the iPod but for the USB connector.
I will be very grateful for an answer.
Thank you Petr
Yes this should be correct, the Coax is for the USB connector, you will still have to have the head unit coded up to enable the functionality.

Old 09-30-2024 | 09:41 AM
Petr Skorcik
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Tj40
Yes this should be correct, the Coax is for the USB connector, you will still have to have the head unit coded up to enable the functionality.
and you also use aux and ipod ? or why did you make the cable with a green connector ?
Old 09-30-2024 | 05:57 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petr Skorcik
and you also use aux and ipod ? or why did you make the cable with a green connector ?
No, if you just connect up the USB with the coax cable you would not be able to use the iPod and AUX in jack socket - these are on the cable I made up.

With just the USB you’d only be able to connect a USB stick with MP3 files on

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Retrofitting Aux-In to PCM3.0 - DIY