Sponsored by:

997 cabriolet clamshell flap assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023 | 02:11 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Default 997 cabriolet clamshell flap assembly

Hi all - let me try posting this in the correct area
I've been having issues with the clamshell not closing all the time on my 2011 Turbo S. I put the top in service position today, and to my surprise, I found parts back there. I did some searching, this seems to be part of the flaps on the clamshell (996-561-061-04)
Not connected to the hydraulic or electrical system that I can see. I'm guessing it spring loads the small clamshell flaps to keep them in the correct position.
One was completely disconnected, the other one was just hanging there and fell off when I touched it.
I saw a reference in an old thread that says I can re-install them - however that thread said to check the other side to see how to install, which I can't do. It looks straightforward, but there seems to be some trick to getting it on? Has anyone done this?
Any help, or a pic of how it should look is welcome - thanks!
pf

Old 04-19-2023 | 03:58 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Most likely there's something else that caused the sudden appearance of that part - it placed pressure on the flap which broke off the guide you show. First step is to truly put the top in service mode (disconnect cables, lift back of top) and pull out the clamshell liner. That will give you the most access. I had only a single pic when I was servicing my top, and unfortunately it does not show in enough detail the location where this bracket is mounted.

You could try searching the Internet using the part number to view the resulting schematic from most parts suppliers - which might give you a good idea of how this is attached.
Old 04-20-2023 | 02:14 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

I can snap a couple of photos tomorrow. Is my 2008 turbo the same?
Old 04-20-2023 | 08:19 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

I am fairly certain that piece is part of the mechanism that raises the flaps on either side of the top to cover the holes when it is in the down position.

Take a look on both sides to see if you have a gap and compare the gap side w/ the side w/o a gap. You should be able to see where it fits.
Old 04-20-2023 | 10:22 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Thanks all!
joes c4 cab - thanks for the offer! The little black plastic flaps have a 996 part number, so I think this is the same for 997.1 and 997.2 (as well as 996's) I have figured some of it out, so only send pics if it is not much bother.

So, what I've learned:
This is indeed part of the little black flaps on the sides (I think there are a different set of more important flaps in there)
These are mechanical only, no wires or switches. Simple spring loaded flaps. They don't even require tools to remove. There is a locking tab that needs to be moved, and then they can be manipulated of their little posts.
Once the flap is off the car, it is simple to reinstall the spring arm. They are mirrored for left and right, so if you find both arms back there like I did, watch for that

The hitch - 997.2GTS may be correct that there is something else amiss that caused these to be knocked off in the first place. As far as I can see, they can only install one way, with no adjustments, but when I put them back in, the clamshell is balky and there is some interference. This is only when putting the top down. The clamshell always closes fine when putting it up.

My short term goal was for my wife to be able to take the car on a trip this weekend, so I'm temporarily leaving them off. Their purpose seems to be mainly cosmetic/keeping leaves out.

I will investigate further when she is back - thanks for all your help
pf
Old 04-20-2023 | 10:41 AM
anthonyk
Rennlist Member

Is it this one?

Old 04-20-2023 | 10:41 AM
997.2GTS
Pro

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
I can snap a couple of photos tomorrow. Is my 2008 turbo the same?
From what i am led to believe, all 996 and 997 are very similar with only minor differences to the top design, not mechanism.
Old 04-20-2023 | 11:40 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anthonyk
Is it this one?
That's it!
Old 04-20-2023 | 01:00 PM
anthonyk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pugface
That's it!
Learned something new today. That was a whole lot easier to get off than it was to get back on! I'll take some better pictures after work today, but here's what I found this morning. It's all a whole lot easier if the clamshell itself is about halfway raised, rather than fully up. It keeps the hinge out of the way. Like you mentioned, there's a sliding locking mechanism that has to be aligned just right to get the bracket onto the posts, and then you slide the lock to secure it. The trick is that it's not just locking around the posts. That slider moves the whole bracket and flap forward (I think) and outboard into its final position. If you don't get that locking slider tab moved all the way aft, the whole flap won't be secured in the right place. That means the spring loaded lever won't engage correctly, and the flap will probably fall off the posts at some point after enough vibration. I suspect that's what happened to yours.

When I was putting mine back on, I had a really hard time getting that slider fully engaged in its final position. It turns out that it looked fairly clean, but there are serrations that help hold it locked that got gummed up with dirt. I put a little bit of grease (after cleaning) where these arrows are, and afterward was able to get it engaged correctly. When I get home, I'll take a pic of it so you can see what it looks like when it's properly engaged.

Old 04-20-2023 | 03:28 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

I had a chance to watch my top in action. As you stated prior, the two plastic flaps that fill the void between clamshell and top are mechanically driven from the clamshell movement. After the fabric top is fully retracted in place, they are mechanically pushed into the horizontal position by the action of the clamshell closing. If that operation was hindered and the flap was NOT permitted to move horizontally, the clamshell hinge and other parts will push on the vertical flap, assuredly breaking it off or popping the piece out of place. Perhaps the top is interfering with the ability of the flap to get horizontal. You could pause the top opening just before the clam starts closing to see what's in that void preventing the flap moving. Since the flaps broke on BOTH sides, that could also be fabric top related, as if one of the internal straps or elastic bands breaks or comes loose, the folding of the fabric is unpredictable.

Last edited by 997.2GTS; 04-20-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-20-2023 | 05:48 PM
anthonyk
Rennlist Member

For what it's worth, this is the view from the bottom when it is fully seated in the right spot. You can see how much the bracket moves forward and out from the initial placement on the pins, and the arrow points to how much of that sliding lock protrudes when it is pulled as far aft as it should be. Since it binds up only when storing the top, that suggestion from 997.2GTS about checking the fabric is a good one. There shouldn't be any fabric folds (or anything else) in the space where that flap operates.

Edit: I should have cleaned this better before taking a close-up...

Old 04-21-2023 | 10:15 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Man, you guys are awesome! This is incredibly helpful - and helpful to the next person searching the threads with this problem
pf

Quick Reply: 997 cabriolet clamshell flap assembly