Sponsored by:

Swapping Adaptive seats (997.1) to 997.2 car

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 01:53 AM
Pancake
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swapping Adaptive seats (997.1) to 997.2 car

I have 997.2 with adaptive comfort seats that I'd like to upgrade to adaptive sport seats. For the most part is it plug and play besides slight repining of the power module? Anyone ever done this? I have seen a few posts about 997.1 cars using 997.2 seats but not the 997.2 using 997.1 seats. Seats will come off of a 2008 turbo which would go into my 2011 Carrera S.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:43 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Pancake
I have 997.2 with adaptive comfort seats that I'd like to upgrade to adaptive sport seats. For the most part is it plug and play besides slight repining of the power module? Anyone ever done this? I have seen a few posts about 997.1 cars using 997.2 seats but not the 997.2 using 997.1 seats. Seats will come off of a 2008 turbo which would go into my 2011 Carrera S.
My understanding is that if you have memory (which I think you do for comfort seats) then switching to adaptives is plug and play. Memory for memory.

Basically goes like this.
no memory to no memory. Easy. manual sports to buckets.

memory to memory. Easy. Memory Comfort to adaptive and vice versa.

memory to non memory. Easy but requires power. That’s going from memory comfort to manual sports.

non memory to memory. Hard. That’s going from a car with manual sport or buckets to comfort or adapative. I think you have to figure out how the memory module works and all the pins on the connector. I think it’s been done but very difficult.

if any of this is wrong, someone please correct me. Also, if a mod wants to clean this up it might be good to have a seat sticky for everyone.
The following users liked this post:
Pancake (02-18-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 03:53 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

I've been looking to do this for a while but can't find anything specific. I "believe" the problem is the 997.2 driver's side has an extra black connector in the harness of the big yellow connector, whereas the .1 only has the single yellow connector. Also there seems to be a difference in the pin layout. But it may just be the seats those people tried were not properly matched between memory/heating or some combination of that.

FWIW, the control boxes are the same between the .1 and .2, they have the same part numbers. I just haven't wanted them that badly to take the risk. I've been on the lookout for a local with a .1 and *** to do a trial seat swap but none yet.
The following users liked this post:
Pancake (02-21-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 04:37 PM
LucV
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I found some manual sport seats from a 987.2 2011 Cayman that I'd like to fit in my 2006 C2S, which has memory/power confort seats. Are 987.2/997.2 seats compatible (plug and play) with 997.1s?

Originally Posted by workhurts
memory to non memory. Easy but requires power. That’s going from memory comfort to manual sports.
When you say easy, do you mean that there's some work to be done in order to make it work or just that all the manual seats need is power from the connector?
Old 05-19-2024, 06:46 PM
scflatsix
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Rhern213
I've been looking to do this for a while but can't find anything specific. I "believe" the problem is the 997.2 driver's side has an extra black connector in the harness of the big yellow connector, whereas the .1 only has the single yellow connector. Also there seems to be a difference in the pin layout. But it may just be the seats those people tried were not properly matched between memory/heating or some combination of that.

FWIW, the control boxes are the same between the .1 and .2, they have the same part numbers. I just haven't wanted them that badly to take the risk. I've been on the lookout for a local with a .1 and *** to do a trial seat swap but none yet.
Pankake - were you able to make the update? I'm trying to do a similar swap of a 997.1 seat (not sure which which trim) into my 997.2. In my case, they are both 12-way comfort seats (my original seats are leatherette, the replacement seats are also 12-way comfort but are full leather in good condition).

So far, the passenger side seat works well except that the replacement seat doesn't have the module for the passenger airbag sensor. The driver side seats, however, don't work after I plug in the connectors. The connectors in both seats seem to be identical but the control module in the 997.1 seat has part number "997.618.537.06" vs "997.618.537.07" in the seat from my 997.2. My suspicion is that the wiring mapping/pin layout is different between the two seats, similar to Rhern213's comment. I've attached pictures of the bottom of each seat.

If anyone else has any additional insight it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2024, 01:19 AM
scflatsix
2nd Gear

Ok, here's an update for posterity: It turns out that the issue was that the replacements seats had a faulty seat control module. I got these on craigslist and don't know the full back story but it was clearly damaged. It looked liked a previous owner had scrapped the circuit board down to the wiring and then soldered wires to connect to the connection pins. At any rate, I swapped out the control module from my old seats and everything works just fine. I'm very happy with the full leather seats. Now I just need to deal with the passenger airbag light that comes on because the new seat doesn't have the passenger weight sensors.

Quick Reply: Swapping Adaptive seats (997.1) to 997.2 car