Sponsored by:

Torque solutions engine mounts for a .2 cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 06:38 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Torque solutions engine mounts for a .2 cab

Can anyone comment on Torque Solutions mounts vs OEM? I have a cab and my understanding (correct if needed) is that the OEM cab mounts are slightly stiffer than the coupe? I need to replace mine and do not want to introduce more NVH as the roads near me are absolute swiss cheese. So would the Torque Solutions option be viable or likely too harsh? I ask as there is a solid $200 price gap for the pair vs OEM.

Any input would be helpful, thanks.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:10 PM
HartyWags
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Where you happy with the car when the OEM mounts were good? If so just stick with OEM. The other mounts website states that they will be stiffer than OEM just not as hard as pure solid state. If you are not doing autocross or tracking the car, stick with OEM, they know what they are doing at Porsche. If you are replacing them your self you save labor and if willing to take a risk buy both and test them out.
The following users liked this post:
bheit1 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 07:19 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Yeah no DIY for me so I gotta get it right. Never driven the car with newish mounts, they were well used when I bought it last yr though only 40k miles. Just aged out.

Car doubles as dads sports car and family top down cruiser so no extra nvh for me, though I am intrigued by reports of even the pdk shifts being better with slightly firmer mounts.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:07 AM
HartyWags
Instructor

How many miles on the car? If this is a daily driver and used for non track/autocross just stick with the OEM ones. Does your car have sports chromos package? are you having PDK shifting issues?
Old 02-13-2023, 03:11 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

40K miles. Yep I have sport chrono, no wart but I have the function SPORT and SPORT+ (SPORT+ is crazy aggressive imho). PDK is fine (touch wood), just when stone cold the first few shifts in lower gears are a bit clunky but anything i can do to give it an easier life (like less resistance on shifts), then sure why not right?

No tracking, I mean my tyres are nearly done so maayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe I'll take it out once to see what it can do but when new rubber goes on I don't fancy chewing through $2,500 worth of tyres. So no, it's a summer car, street driven. It does lead a double life though, I will drive it quite hard when alone and enjoy the raw feel of the car but I often have the wife and two kids in it for weekend pleasure drives and the less NVH the better for those trips. As an example, I got a 2 inch gundo done and the sound is BANG on for what I need, it's sporty enough but not obnoxious with the kids int he car and doesn't make the wife roll her eyes.

Last edited by NevilleNobody; 02-13-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:37 PM
HartyWags
Instructor

Do you have all the service records? Do you know if the mounts have ever been replaced? Are you sure they are bad? You mention that the PDK shifts are 'clunky' when cold, which I think would not be consider strange as it takes time for it to warm up. My 6MT 1-2 gear is worse when it is cold and smooths out as the system warms up. PCA states the following on PDK

On a 2009-12 997.2 the PDK clutch oil is to be replaced every 6 years/60K miles and the PDK transmission oil is to be replaced every 12 years/120K miles, whichever comes first.

Maybe you want to do that above services, if you have a 2009 you are overdue, and if you have 2012 you are right at the time. I changed my gear lube a few times and that help keep things running well for me.

Have you checked you mounts? have someone in the car in park rev the engine, does the engine move around?

If it was me and I did not have the records I would at least do the PDK maintenance above to make sure everything is in good order. I would ask the tech if the mounts look to need replacement, I would think they don't based on milage but maybe on age.

Last edited by HartyWags; 02-13-2023 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:45 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Good questions.

Yeah the PDK seems to be behaving like others I have driven, as we entered fall and taking off at around 10 celcius, i noticed the first two to three shifts are bit firm, once driving for 2 mins it goes away.

I have service records bot no record of the service LOL. So there's dates, a record of service being done, but no idea WHAT was done. I am assuming just oil changes not the big ticket items and slowly walking through the list. I got a good deal on the car so anticipated the need for major service items. As you say, at 13 yrs she is due for a PDK service and I just got a RIDICULOUSLY good price from my indy to get it done, and yes, including a new pan.

My mounts likely need doing as my exhaust tips are, and i quote the folks in my 997 whattsapp group, "Sagging like an old ladies knockers".
Old 02-13-2023, 04:54 PM
HartyWags
Instructor

So I would do both PDK services and they are going to be much cheaper than a new PDK and most likely have not been done, and save $200 bucks and use the OEM mounts as new mounts are going to be better.

My car had all the records but I still changed the oil/brake fluids, replaced plug and coil packs, and 4 year maintenance cycle just to make sure everything was in order.

Last edited by HartyWags; 02-13-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:56 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

I agree. The OEM's are more expensive but the PDK service is coming in damn near half what I thought it would so will just do OEM mounts as they will still be a vast improvement over the aged out ones I have on the car.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:04 PM
HartyWags
Instructor

I think that is a good plan, low risk high reward. I would think that the build changes on the PDK should make a big difference. Do you records show when the last time the plugs and coil packs where replaced? I think if you do a 40K/4 year service they will do the spark and coils, plus lubrication on the coverable top and test the roll over system to make sure it is good. I did that also.

the 40K is
air and cabin filter
wipers
drive belt
convertible lubrication
rollover testing
spark plugs

Last edited by HartyWags; 02-13-2023 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:27 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Yeah bit by bit, need to keep the sticker shock away from the wife lol. Every new car I buy I do plugs and oil change, so plugs are done. Had to replace the MAF and oxygen sensors so they done. Next yr will be coils amd the top service.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:46 PM
HartyWags
Instructor

I know the feeling. Just got new rims for autocross, now need to get a set of cup 2 tires and some other crap, oil change, brake fluid.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:55 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Lol. Remember I need rubber! $2500. I knew I should ha e bought one with a better history but I'd waited some 3 years and kept missing out. But I saw just 38k miles and all the aqua blue I saw had the dowdy 09 steering wheel and no sport chrono. So the wheel and sport chrono, installed are about 5k cdn. Again the low miles and I was sold, most cars in my price bracket were 70k miles and over.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:22 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Just do it in strides so it's not as big of a pill to swallow. I'm with you. I had a budget and was just happy to get into one. There's a lot of wealthy folks who can throw whatever they want in maintenance and parts but not everyone here is. I'm lucky I bought 3 months before covid where the depreciation curve was pretty much at it's lowest. I'm now getting in to the DIY stuff because the forum is great at helping people and youtube videos go a long way with porsche service. I bet some people here saved $20K+ doing the work themselves. Count me in on that as I plan to keep it forever unless life presents a newer one to me.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:52 AM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
Just do it in strides so it's not as big of a pill to swallow. I'm with you. I had a budget and was just happy to get into one. There's a lot of wealthy folks who can throw whatever they want in maintenance and parts but not everyone here is. I'm lucky I bought 3 months before covid where the depreciation curve was pretty much at it's lowest. I'm now getting in to the DIY stuff because the forum is great at helping people and youtube videos go a long way with porsche service. I bet some people here saved $20K+ doing the work themselves. Count me in on that as I plan to keep it forever unless life presents a newer one to me.
Honestly the labour is not THAT bad. Parts are absolutely crippling though, by the time you convert to USD and ship stuff it is insane. The two types of oil needed for the PDK came out to well over $500 CDN after searching relentlessly, that's properly crazy. It turned out to be cheaper to get my indy to supply the oil because he gets it in bulk.

But yeah everything is a balance right. I know these service items are a pest but once done they last a long time and there are intangibles to getting a car in good shape. My interior looks damn near new, buttons, high touch areas and even the seat bolster are in tremendous shape. The same could be said for under the car, I got it up on a hoist upon inspection and was floored as to how clean it was and the absence of corrosion even on small parts. So in some ways you give a little and take a little.

Quick Reply: Torque solutions engine mounts for a .2 cab