997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The COMPLETE 997 Engine Build DIY Guide

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023 | 03:09 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

TTGator... Awesome channel. Love the Boxster project you are working on and the 997.1 . Great job documenting on video all the steps involved. Mad respect for anyone who takes on these projects and putting in the time and effort to record and share. Thanks so much!
The following users liked this post:
997.1C2S (02-23-2023)
Old 02-03-2023 | 08:29 AM
TTGator
Instructor

Originally Posted by qikqbn
TTGator... Awesome channel. Love the Boxster project you are working on and the 997.1 . Great job documenting on video all the steps involved. Mad respect for anyone who takes on these projects and putting in the time and effort to record and share. Thanks so much!
Thanks! 🍻
Old 02-03-2023 | 08:25 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Regarding the crankshaft subassembly assembly, is Porsche different in that it requires the backside of the crank bearings to be lubed (rather than just the crank-journal-touching side)?

On other engines, lubing the bearing backside can lead to a spun bearing.

yvesvidal (02-04-2023)
Old 02-03-2023 | 08:47 PM
TTGator
Instructor

Originally Posted by jchapura
Regarding the crankshaft subassembly assembly, is Porsche different in that it requires the backside of the crank bearings to be lubed (rather than just the crank-journal-touching side)?

On other engines, lubing the bearing backside can lead to a spun bearing.
You are correct. That was pointed out in the comments and we disassembled, cleaned the bearings, and reinstalled with only oiling the top. We are going to be sure to state this at the beginning of the next video in the series
jchapura (02-03-2023)
Old 02-04-2023 | 05:44 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Originally Posted by TTGator
You are correct. That was pointed out in the comments and we disassembled, cleaned the bearings, and reinstalled with only oiling the top. We are going to be sure to state this at the beginning of the next video in the series
That was probably unnecessary, since there are tabs that will prevent the journals from moving and rotating. Also, when the oil is being fed under pressure to the engine, it would be almost impossible for the oil to not seep between the bearings and the case.
What is the Porsche Manual recommending in this case? What are LN Engineering and Flat Six doing in this case, if they even get to that part of the engine?

Yves

Last edited by yvesvidal; 02-04-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2023 | 05:48 PM
TTGator
Instructor

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
That was probably unnecessary, since there are tabs that will prevent the journals from moving and rotating. Also, when the oil is being fed under pressure to the engine, it would be almost impossible for the oil to not seep between the bearings and the case.
What is the Porsche Manual recommending in this case?

Yves
All the pros chiming in say it’s a big no-no
Old 02-09-2023 | 03:14 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Any new development on the rebuilding of that 997.1 engine?

Yves
Old 02-09-2023 | 03:15 PM
TTGator
Instructor

Any new development on the rebuilding of that 997.1 engine?

Yves
The build continues this weekend!
Old 02-22-2023 | 10:21 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

TTGator,

I was watching the second video of your rebuild and wanted to congratulate you for making such good progress on this engine. Hopefully, you will post it in this thread soon, so that other enthusiasts can enjoy Buddy's and your work.

One suggestion though: It would be nice in this thread (for instance) to indicate where Buddy is procuring the different parts and how much it is costing. In the second video, he purchased a set of rods from Jake Rabbits (if I am not mistaken) and we would all love to know how much such such set is. Also, the chains used for the distribution: Are those the original chains or are all the parts replaced? Again, a bill/estimate would be very helpful for people thinking about going this path instead of using the $30K - 1 year ticket to the official re-builders.

Thanks in advance and keep feeding us with these great videos. My best to your friend Buddy: what he is doing is incredible.

Yves
Old 02-22-2023 | 10:29 AM
TTGator
Instructor

Yves,

Thanks! And great point about the cost. I'm sure he will be happy to share. I'll try to incorporate that into Episode 3. Now that there are 2 episodes, I created a playlist. I'll add the link to the playlist in the original post, but it's also in the description of every video in the series.

EDIT: Um... ok so I can edit this post but it isn't letting me edit the original. So here is the playlist link: 997 Engine Build Playlist

Last edited by TTGator; 02-22-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2023 | 12:15 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

TTGator,

I watched your third video with your friend Buddy:

What a pain it was to install these circular clips with that tool. In the old days, we used to have these kind of clips, which are a lot easier to install and offer more control:

Also, I am re-iterating my request to know where Buddy is sourcing the various parts and how much money he is spending.

Thanks for recording all these videos.

Yves
Old 03-08-2023 | 12:39 PM
TTGator
Instructor

TTGator,

I watched your third video with your friend Buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2H...WV7MHN&index=3

What a pain it was to install these circular clips with that tool. In the old days, we used to have these kind of clips, which are a lot easier to install and offer more control:

Also, I am re-iterating my request to know where Buddy is sourcing the various parts and how much money he is spending.

Thanks for recording all these videos.

Yves
Oh crap! I forgot to have him mention that. Just told him to remind me for the next one.

yes, those clips would be great for what we did, but unfortunately they would be much harder for what needs to be done on bank 2 when they are enclosed in the block!
Old 04-27-2023 | 03:40 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Any new development on that endeavor or have you guys come to a road block? I have been looking at your YOUTUBE channel, but there are no new video for the second bank.

Yves
Old 04-27-2023 | 05:05 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

TTGator,

I was watching the second video of your rebuild and wanted to congratulate you for making such good progress on this engine. Hopefully, you will post it in this thread soon, so that other enthusiasts can enjoy Buddy's and your work.

One suggestion though: It would be nice in this thread (for instance) to indicate where Buddy is procuring the different parts and how much it is costing. In the second video, he purchased a set of rods from Jake Rabbits (if I am not mistaken) and we would all love to know how much such such set is. Also, the chains used for the distribution: Are those the original chains or are all the parts replaced? Again, a bill/estimate would be very helpful for people thinking about going this path instead of using the $30K - 1 year ticket to the official re-builders.

Thanks in advance and keep feeding us with these great videos. My best to your friend Buddy: what he is doing is incredible.

Yves
Following up on this, a spreadsheet showing what parts were replaced (vs reused), the source, and the cost would be very helpful.

These videos are great to demystify the rebuilding process and hopefully encourage more people to tackle it. People get bore scoring and think their only choice is a $30k FSI rebuild and year plus wait. This can be done DIY and kept in the ~$12k range (complete with an LNE resleeve and pistons) if people control themselves and don't go nuts with "while were in there" replacements.

Another aspect that needs more focus is where is it ok to "cut corners" so to speak. As an example, a head gasket is $85 from Porsche even including discount pricing. Rock Auto has one from a German-company Elring for $28. Is it any good? Head gaskets don't seem like rocket science. Lots of other examples like that, Erling makes just about every gasket in the engine. LNE sells their standard rebuild kit for $5144 which seems reasonable but are there less costly alternatives? Similarly, do we really need to replace everything that comes in that kit which includes things like new exhaust lifters and an oil filler neck?

https://lnengineering.com/rnd-engine...r-premium.html

Here's' an interesting post from Porschetech3 over in the 996 forum saying you can reuse your head bolts (in the M96 at least) and they aren't actually "torque to yield" despite common misconception:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...u-want-to.html

I know Porsche owners love to throw money at things, but would be nice to have options that are just a decent deal and gets the job done.

Anyways, again thanks for this series as anything that empowers owners through knowledge is a good thing.

Last edited by PV997; 04-27-2023 at 07:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PV997:
ahyiah (09-14-2023), anthonyk (04-27-2023), yvesvidal (04-28-2023)
Old 04-27-2023 | 05:55 PM
TTGator
Instructor

Only road block currently is time and getting “Buddy” off the track and back into the garage! Fear not, we WILL finish this.

Quick Reply: The COMPLETE 997 Engine Build DIY Guide