Sponsored by:

Ducktail honeycomb grill install

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022 | 06:57 AM
Jeroen//997
Intermediate

Default Ducktail honeycomb grill install

Hi guys,

I got myself a Getty SC ducktail and ordered honeycomb mesh grill instead of the grill supplied by Getty.

Now how do you best install these in the spoiler so that they line up nicely? The entrance hole is quite small, on one side and the inside of the ducktail doesn’t really have any predefined points to attach the grill too. With all those ducktails out there, any field experience to share how to best tackle this?

Thanks and happy holidays all!

Old 12-27-2022 | 12:23 PM
///Malcontent
Rennlist Member

Did you order the factory grills or expanded metal from another source? There are a couple of ways to approach the installation:

1. Use a body-bonding adhesive like Wurth Bond+Seal or general adhesive like Loctite PL Premium available at Hell Depot to glue the grills in place.

2. As close to OEM as possible. While I haven't seen one in person, given the parts list and diagram for the Sport Classic duck tail, there must be studs installed inside the part. Onto the studs go the grills (2), frames (8) and plastic nuts (3). IIRC parts (7) and (8) are sold together, hence no separate part no. for (8).

Since the Getty doesn't have studs, I bought stainless steel adhesive-mount studs from Click-Bond and used the Wurth adhesive to bond them in place. Then I installed the grills and frames using the plastic nuts.

The following users liked this post:
Jeroen//997 (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022 | 02:00 PM
Jeroen//997
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ///Malcontent
Did you order the factory grills or expanded metal from another source? There are a couple of ways to approach the installation:

1. Use a body-bonding adhesive like Wurth Bond+Seal or general adhesive like Loctite PL Premium available at Hell Depot to glue the grills in place.

2. As close to OEM as possible. While I haven't seen one in person, given the parts list and diagram for the Sport Classic duck tail, there must be studs installed inside the part. Onto the studs go the grills (2), frames (8) and plastic nuts (3). IIRC parts (7) and (8) are sold together, hence no separate part no. for (8).

Since the Getty doesn't have studs, I bought stainless steel adhesive-mount studs from Click-Bond and used the Wurth adhesive to bond them in place. Then I installed the grills and frames using the plastic nuts.
Thank you, great info.

I went with an aftermarket mesh, resembling OEM. I have to cut them to size.

I’ll go with body bonding adhesive and studs like you suggest. Will check with Porsche here for the frames and use those too.

Found online some pictures of the OEM deck lid, seems a lot easier to install the grills. But that price though…

Quick Reply: Ducktail honeycomb grill install