Garage Queens

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 08:51 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by fty
I will use pictures, this is why:

Car was destroyed after 1 season. Rim #2, tire #3. Not scared of the snow....scared of destroying cars I care about. (Happened on Long island Expressway during snow storm)
Yes, but that’s during a snow storm. I would not drive my 911 during a snow storm or even at night during the winter months. I take the 997 out during the weekends mornings only when it’s sunny outside so I can see if there’s a pothole ahead of me. Besides, even if I were to bend one of my Lobster forks, it’s easy to find another. I’ve taken my car out in well below freezing temps though.

I take it to the mountains (only 25 minutes from my home), not for commuting or anything. I am not concerned about the dry salt on the road and rinse off the underside of the car every two weeks as needed, but I have never hibernated my Porsches in the over 20 winters here in the Northeast and the cars have not disintegrated. I don’t care if my car loses some resale value when I decide to rid of it one day as I bought it to drive it to the ground, not to save it for someone else. Rusty bolts on the exhaust don’t bother me either if it were to happen as I don’t do my own exhaust work.

I have an Audi Quattro and Benz SUV for daily commuting and snow storms and yes, I have had a bad flat once coming home at night when I didn’t see an oncoming pothole in the winter, but that would not have happened with my 997 cause I don’t drive it in those situations. It’s ok if people choose not to drive their Porsches during the winter. Their car, their choice, but doesn’t mean I’m a moron if I choose to do so, as it’s my choice to enjoy it all year round. Check out the salt on the ground….😁

Last edited by Carreralicious; 11-30-2022 at 09:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Houndstooth (12-01-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:01 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

Salt + Aluminum = No Bueno.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:05 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Yes, but that’s during a snow storm. I would not drive my 911 during a snow storm or even at night during the winter months. I take the 997 out during the weekends mornings only when it’s sunny outside so I can see if there’s a pothole ahead of me. Besides, even if I were to bend one of my Lobster forks, it’s easy to find another. I’ve taken my car out in well below freezing temps though.

I take it to the mountains (only 25 minutes from my home), not for commuting or anything. I am not concerned about the dry salt on the road and rinse off the underside of the car every two weeks as needed, but I have never hibernated my Porsches in the over 20 winters here in the Northeast and the cars have not disintegrated. I don’t care if my car loses some resale value when I decide to rid of it one day as I bought it to drive it to the ground, not to save it for someone else. Rusty bolts on the exhaust don’t bother me either if it were to happen as I don’t do my own exhaust work.

I have an Audi Quattro and Benz SUV for daily commuting and snow storms and yes, I have had a bad flat once coming home at night when I didn’t see an oncoming pothole in the winter, but that would not have happened with my 997 cause I don’t drive it in those situations. It’s ok if people choose not to drive their Porsches during the winter. Their car, their choice, but doesn’t mean I’m a moron if I choose to do so, as it’s my choice to enjoy it all year round.

I get your situation and my cars will come out in the cold (I agree with you 100%) but stating that you (Post #42) don't understand why people don't drive during winter months, that is one example why.

Last edited by Graufuchs; 12-02-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Houndstooth (12-01-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:24 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by fty
I get your situation and my cars will come out in the cold (I agree with you 100%) but stating that you don't understand why people don't drive during winter months, that is one example why.
Oh yeah, I get that. Also, if I didn’t have fun roads nearby, I don’t think I’d want to take my car out either. I never said I don’t understand why people don’t drive their Porsches in the winter (someone else here said that), as everyone has their reasons. I just personally can’t do that cause I start going thru withdrawal symptoms if I don’t take my car out for a few weeks. Lol.
Graufuchs (12-01-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 09:23 AM
RNGRICK
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Winter Driving

Old 12-08-2022, 09:24 AM
RNGRICK
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 21 Posts

I drive my 997 daily all year - during the winter months in northern NJ - I mount snow tires and not problem, providing there is not more than 2" of snow - no issues - I do miss my C4S, love that in the snow. after so many year, no ill effect to my 997, she still looks great and drives perfect 92K miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by RNGRICK:
Graufuchs (12-08-2022), TommyV44 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 10:33 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 185K miles

Originally Posted by fty
Car was destroyed after 1 season.
"destroyed" ? A dented rim has destroyed your car? Well OK, I guess.

After almost 400K miles on two Porsches both as all year, daily drivers with snow tires/rims in Philly, well I had quite a few rim bends repaired (it is amazing what these repair shops can do). Mostly my 19" C2S rims were the rims that loved to go out of round and one massive hit on an interstate that blew out and damaged two tires.

I suspect this type of wheel damage has more to do with the fashion trend of kids-stuff, low profile tires. For all these pothole hits, my cars were never destroyed... again, almost 400K total on them and my C2S is still running fine. Only salt issue was some heat shields.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12-08-2022 at 10:36 AM.
TommyV44 (12-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Garage Queens