Sponsored by:

Oil cap replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 10:42 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Oil cap replacement?

This may be a dumb question, but is there any value to replacing your oil fill cap at any regular interval? I don’t think there is any problem with my current one but was thinking it’s an 07 and maybe might not be a bad idea to do so?
Old 10-12-2022, 11:24 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 442 Posts

It's not the cap that is the problem, it's the bellow tube that gets hard and cracks. Replacing that involves removing the alternator. Probably should be done while you are doing other things like replacing all three pulleys and belt for the car.
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (10-13-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 11:30 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Unless you hear any hissing from it while the car is running, you're probably fine. You could also test it by trying to remove it while the car is running after it has warmed up. If you feel some resistance and you hear the engine idle change when you remove it, then you know it is creating a proper seal. Despite what some people say here about this being a sign your AOS is going out, some negative crank case pressure is NORMAL. It should be a little difficult getting your oil cap off when the car is up to temp and the car is running.
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 11:33 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Ok thanks guys. I don’t hear any hissing or anything from it when the car is on, so assume it is fine. Just thought we replace gas caps and coolant caps occasionally since these all rely on a good seal, so why not the oil fill cap? Lol.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:19 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Update: Decided to get a new oil cap just cause of the year of my car (07). Noticed the old cap was always tough to unscrew (almost felt like I was gonna break the fill tube by twisting counter clockwise so hard to get the thing off), and the new cap is same force to screw on but now relatively easy to unscrew.

Quick Reply: Oil cap replacement?