Sponsored by:

Original key fob battery vs a substitute

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 11:16 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Original key fob battery vs a substitute

I am wondering if anyone else has experience using a different battery in their key fob than what was originally installed and had problems
I have noticed that if I don't use the original Sony battery that my key fob won't work.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:43 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Are the batteries the same voltage spec? Have you tested the voltage for each better? Brand shouldn't matter.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:23 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Are the batteries the same voltage spec? Have you tested the voltage for each better? Brand shouldn't matter.
It's got to be something else going on because it doesn't matter what battery I am using because the car doesn't respond to the key. The light on the fob comes on but nothing from the car. With the other key, the car responds.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:45 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

I have had similar issues a couple of times with new acquired used cars and friends cars. My lessons learned are:

- The battery in the key fob is not necessarily the correct one. It is not uncommon for a battery of similar size to be used. Consult the owners manual.
- Check the key fob battery contact points to make sure they are making good contact and are clean. Be careful with the contacts as they are thin metal.
- Silver oxide batteries over anything else EXCEPT when the manual calls out Lithium, which mine does "Lithium CR 2032 3 volts".
- Double check the orientation.
- check the voltage before installing the new battery. "But it's new" was my assumption until I started finding dead or low voltage ones.
- Expiration date. I have had expired batteries perform well for years. The voltage check is key.
- Helping a friend onetime, we figured out that the car was sold with two keys, but the second key was not coded for his car. Easy fix and embarrassing for the selling dealer.

Good luck!

Last edited by CAVU; 08-27-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:56 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by CAVU
I have had similar issues a couple of times with new acquired used cars and friends cars. My lessons learned are:

- The battery in the key fob is not necessarily the correct one. It is not uncommon for a battery of similar size to be used. Consult the owners manual.
- Check the key fob battery contact points to make sure they are making good contact and are clean. Be careful with the contacts as they are thin metal.
- Silver oxide batteries over anything else EXCEPT when the manual calls out Lithium, which mine does "Lithium CR 2032 3 volts".
- Double check the orientation.
- check the voltage before installing the new battery. "But it's new" was my assumption until I started finding dead or low voltage ones.
- Expiration date. I have had expired batteries perform well for years. The voltage check is key.
- Helping a friend onetime, we figured out that the car was sold with two keys, but the second key was not coded for his car. Easy fix and embarrassing for the selling dealer.

Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions.
1. Swapped batteries and the battery from the working key fob worked in the non working fob, didn't change
I. Tangs checked and bent up just to make sure but felt this wasn't necessary as it was the working fob, but bent them up just for the hell of it.
3. Energizer is Lithium as is the Sony
4. Correct orientation
5. The package says: 03/2032 I am assuming is the expiration date as I cannot find anywhere else.
6. Both keys work at one time.

Last edited by bcgreen; 08-27-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:57 PM
bcgreen
Pro

UPDATE: More strange to me but probably normal to Porsche. One key will start the car but will not lock and unlock.
The other key will lock and unlock but not start the car.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:07 PM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

There are some know key issues like these. Try this article or search around on the forums for similar issues.

https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...working-377643
Old 08-27-2022, 06:56 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Edcantera
There are some know key issues like these. Try this article or search around on the forums for similar issues.

https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...working-377643
Didn't work for me
Old 08-29-2022, 05:25 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

One quick sanity check; I have purchased many counterfeit Energizer Lithium batteries in the past, so many I lost count from reputable online shops. I end up buying them at CVS since I know they are genuine. All the counterfeit cells had voltages that were .1 or .2 volts below normal and failed in short order or immediately. Just in case, as you report Energizer as the brand. Good luck.

EDIT: Post a pic of the battery packaging and I'll tell you straight away if fake.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Or measure the voltage. That's key to evaluating any problem like this.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Or measure the voltage. That's key to evaluating any problem like this.
Measure voltage under a standard load. Some MVMs do this.

Quick Reply: Original key fob battery vs a substitute