Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone successful reversing +/- PDK manual shift direction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 11:41 AM
veetwin
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Anyone successful reversing +/- PDK manual shift direction?

Hi All,

Has anyone been successful in reversing (inverting) the +/- manual shift pattern on a 997.2 PDK selector (the hand gear selector P/R/N/D +/-, not the paddles or buttons on the steering wheel)

Looks like Cobb Accessport with PDK will invert the shift for 991/981 cars, and seen a few threads on people attempting to reverse wiring but not seen any formidable 'How-To' on any of the forums.

Im creating a retro feel to the car with wood shifter and Momo Steering wheel (ditching the paddles) and would really prefer to pull back on the shifter for upshifts as per most motorsport installations!!

Any advise most appreciated

Cheers,

James
Old 08-25-2022, 02:26 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

In short the answer is No as far as I am aware. I poked around down this rattle for a while and I worked out that the stock shifter I sends messages over the CAN bus to the PDK - there is no physical connection and the shifter is triggered by magnetic sensors on the bottom of the shift lever.

So to reverse the pattern you would have to reprogram the shifter control unit, you couldn't do this by changing wires in the unit as you'd mess up the Park- Reverse- Neutral- Drive pattern.
Best thing to do is buy an old unit and reverse engineer the code - probably not going to happen unless you have some embedded system hacking experience ;-) . The only other way to do it would be to build an interposer ECU unit that would sit between the shifter and the CAN bus and trap the +1 and -1 shift messages and replace with the opposite - that is probably the easiest way of doing it.

The GT3 shifters had the pattern reversed and there is a thread somewhere that talked about trying to get a dealer to install one of these into a regular 997 but is was unclear if the OP actually had completed that due to costs.

Hope this helps..
Old 08-26-2022, 08:09 AM
veetwin
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the follow-up on the prior emails. Ive been reading on some of those threads and was looking also to see if someone had successfully installed a GT3 PDK TCU Controller and obtained the desired result!

Ive been speaking to a AA-Tuning in Germany. I believe their technician has been successful in the past at rewiring (hardwired) connector pins to get the shifter to invert. Will report back if I find anything useful...
Old 08-26-2022, 08:54 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Great let us know if you find out if they managed this!
Old 08-26-2022, 10:09 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts

I searched high and low for this as well, esp. since also I have a M3 DCT that goes the other (proper IMO) way. Silly Rabbit Motorsports claimed they could do this, but after shipping them my TCU and waiting several weeks they finally admitted they couldn’t. Mine is a TT though, so maybe they can do for a NA. The German place requires their ECU tune as well I believe, which is absurdly expensive.

Quick Reply: Anyone successful reversing +/- PDK manual shift direction?