Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window won’t stay down when door is open.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 06:18 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

As an aside, a friend had this problem with his 997.2. I pulled his door apart and played with it, multiple times.

At first I tried rebuilding the top of the switch button. The sideways action caused this fix to fail after a dozen operations.

I then played with adjusting the switch location. Again, a dozen operations before the switch moved back and it failed again.

I made a few more attempts.

It was early morning hours when I made a revision that has lasted for over a year now. I didn't take pictures and I don't have full recall on my last tricks. But I recall I fabricated a snail cam that would securely push the switch close to the latch cam and then lock the switch position. The fine tuning was the key and the snail cam allowed this. The latch cam still rubs across the switch button, but as mentioned, it's been holding up.

I might be wrong here ... I do a lot of fabrication and as I said, this fix was early hours, but I recall grinding a screw head and tapping a hole in the latch plate so that the now snail headed screw could be installed just behind the switch. A bit of lock tite and it was good. If I ever need to take that door apart again I'll take pictures.

Yeah, there are a few designs in our cars that were definitely handed off to junior engineers!!!
Old 01-26-2024, 09:20 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

Interesting note about the Febi part. As I noted above, the OEM latch (3D1**) is a pure VW part. There is no triangle P anywhere on it. Only the VW logo and the supplier's name is molded into the assembly. However on my replacement OEM part, there was a sticker on the latch that stated "for Porsche 9X7 only" The label on the box itself was the typical Porsche part label that we are all familiar with. Another interesting thought that I had was this latch and system of dipping windows is only needed on convertible's and hardtop cars. Not a lot of convertibles are produced (think VW) and very few if any hardtops (except for Porsche cars.). All other cars have framed windows. The Febi part was probably tooled up for whatever VW models used this type of latch. Porsche volumes are too low to tool up complicated stuff like this. Something in this assembly varies for the VW and Porsche part although the VW part number is the same. Hence the sticker that says "Porsche 9X7 only

Quick Reply: Window won’t stay down when door is open.