Sponsored by:

Joyeauto Apple car play mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 11:47 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by eaks
I installed the camera on my 09 Turbo by going through the passenger side (on a LHD car) tail light. There is a grommet where all the wiring loom comes through. I drilled a hole through here and then ran a snake wire/coat hanger through from the tail light side. On the inside of the car I needed to remove the subwoofer and then pull the trim at the back passenger side of the rear window. I cannot speak about the NM unit but on the joyeauto unit I needed to tap off the reverse light power to the tail light. This signal then gets sent with the video cable to the head unit backup camera trigger wire.

Be very careful when drilling/cutting the grommet by the tail light as it if you are not careful it would be possible to cut into the wiring harness.

Good luck and I expect the trigger is the same on the NM unit as most aftermarket rear cameras operate the same way. The camera I bought also has the trigger wire inside the video cable to run to the head unit.
with NM camera is powered by the unit, with trigger wire, no additional tail light power was needed.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:14 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
with NM camera is powered by the unit, with trigger wire, no additional tail light power was needed.
The same is true on the 9xx unit.

And the description eaks gives on running the cable is spot on although I did not need to remove the subwoofer (that was for a coupe ... the cabriolet would be different).

I've read that the Joyauto requires separate power but of the the units discussed here the Joyauto is the one that I have no personal experience with.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:15 AM
eaks
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I assumed the power was required for all 6 speed standard transmissions but I may be wrong. I know on the joyeauto unit that if you have PDK the power will be sent from the unit (at least from what I recall working with tech support to figure out why I couldn't get my backup camera working. There are some additional dip switch settings for the manual that werent shown in the normal manual).

Good luck
Old 06-29-2022, 12:35 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

The CANBus is different if you have a PDK due to the addition of the TCU. So the system needs to be different accordingly.

In the case of 9xx you will be asked questions about your car so that the correct unit can be sent. Last Fall there was a problem with the interface. This was fixed quickly and a new unit was supplied. All has been good since. And I can speak first hand to excellent customer support.

The NM unit I installed did not include the camera, but I don't recall any DIP switches. I didn't order this unit so I can't speak to any information that was required. I suspect NM deals with this in a similar manner to what 9xx does.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:03 PM
Nate R
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Second for the NM unit. Great customer service and works very well. My PCM came without Nav and this is way better.

Took me an afternoon to install. Didn't install a backup camera.

Quick Reply: Joyeauto Apple car play mod