Sponsored by:

Numeric Shift Cable - Installation Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 07:05 AM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Numeric Shift Cable - Installation Tips and Tricks

I just finished up installing Numeric Racing Shifter and Cables on my 997.2.

I read several threads and DIY’s on the installation, as well as instructions provided by NR. There were a few details I wanted to share that may save others some time.

1) this may sound obvious but to clarify you will need to remove the wide cover under the car that just forward of the oil pan. It has a bunch of T25 screws and a few 10mm plastic retaining nuts. Also if you leave the wheels on the car when you do this you will need to remove the cover from in front of the rear wheels because it will not slide past the wheels.

2) one of the most difficult parts of the process is removing the rubber plug that blocks the hole where the cables pass into the passenger compartment. The plug needs to be pushed out from inside the car. Most of the information I read said to use a hammer and punch or similar with WD-40 method to dislodge it. That did not work for me so I decided to try a more precise approach.

I used a Quickgrip style clamp with one end turned out to allow me to press the grommet out. On one end the clamp is against one of the handbrake mounting posts and the other toward the grommet using a socket/extension to contact the grommet. With a few squeezes of the clamp the plug came out nicely. Note that in the picture I have a small piece of angle iron I was originally using to bridge across two posts but that was unnecessary.

3) the next most difficult part was getting the rubber grommet back into the car.

First you’ll need to get it onto the new cables (slicing it open to remove it from the original cables first).

Next you need to get it near the tunnel hole. After it is close you need to work in the cable(wire) that remains in the tunnel - into the opening on the right side of the grommet.

now use your hand to get the grommet started into the hole just enough that it will stay in position.

Finally it is time to push the grommet into its final position. To do this I (a good friend actually figured this out!) used a 1/2” breaker bar with an extension. Thread the extension up into the cavity behind the grommet from one of the teardrop shaped holes in the cross member and then rotate the extension so it points to the grommet. Now using the breaker as a lever push the grommet into position.

The following 3 users liked this post by bloomjbmw:
BLU997 (04-29-2022), Skube (05-03-2022), VT Blue (05-18-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 07:43 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 101 Posts

Great info. Thanks for sharing your tips.
I installed the NR shifter, but have stayed with the stock cables for now and am very happy with the result.
However, if I do tackle the cable upgrade I will employ your suggestions.
The following users liked this post:
bloomjbmw (04-30-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:57 PM
CBRich
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

bloomjbmw - Your tips were really useful concerning the grommet. I'll add a couple more here that I discovered during my recent install:
-
  • I used a 6 inch clamp which seemed to fit fine, though I wouldn't go any bigger.
  • The clamp is also useful at the end of 2 feet worth of extensions to reinstall the grommet. Just prop it against the subframe in the back and line up your extensions to the grommet to slowly press it in.
  • When cutting the grommet plan carefully. You'll be putting some stress on it to reinstall and don't want it to tear open or have the cables slide out.
  • As mentioned in some other threads, the cables can be long. I suggest attaching at the shifter bracket first and then the brackets under the car. This way you can add an S bend as needed in the tunnel. This is for the brackets ONLY and not the actual gear selection levers.
  • If you have a cabrio with Bose you need to remove it to get the shifter trim ring off.
  • If your girlfriend or wife helps, be nice when you're frustrated and buy her something nice on completion. If your friend helps grab him a beer or a pizza.

Overall I think this is a great upgrade and well worth the money.

Last edited by CBRich; 05-17-2022 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shift Cable - Installation Tips and Tricks