Sponsored by:

CARRERA V WHEELS

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 10:31 AM
detroitex
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CARRERA V WHEELS

I bought a 2010 C2 Cabriolet last year. It had the optional 19" Carrera S II wheels, which someone had painted (very well) black.

The car had a number of other black/racer parts......aggressive front air dam, extra rear spoiler, black stone guards. But I wanted a more refined look.
Instead of repainting the S II back to silver, I found a set of used Carrera V wheels for under $1K on rennlist. These were the standard wheels on the 991, so people are upgrading these wheels, sometimes making them the winter wheel. Bottom line is they can be found rather inexpensive and I think they give the car a clean, almost elegant appearance, but still different from what you normally see on a 997.

The wheels are ALMOST a drop in for the S II. The front offset for the Carrera V wheels moves the front tires 3mm outboard, which is fine. But the rear wheels would bring the tires in 2mm. So I used a 7mm spacer and bolt set I bought for $120 on rennlist, which moves the rear tires out 5mm per side, about flush with the fenders. And now I have two looks.
It was time to replace the 10 yr old TPMS sensors, too. I can recommend these for $77.00 a set on Amazon...just be sure you use your specific vehicle information when searching.

MORESENSOR Signature Series 433MHz TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor 4-Pack | Preprogrammed for Select 450+ European Brand Models | Replacement for 36236798726 | Clamp-in | NX-S003-4

Old 04-26-2022, 11:05 AM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

Interesting as I am considering the exact same change except from silver II's to black "V's". My car is ABM. On your car, i definitely prefer black but that is just me. Can you post more photos by any chance?

Also these cars sit way too high, way too much guard gap, how easy is it to fill the guard a little with a very subtle drop?
Old 04-26-2022, 11:27 AM
detroitex
Rennlist Member

1.) I'm in Michigan, so it will be a few more weeks before the car is out consistently to post more pictures. But I will try.
2.) I'm sorry, I'm not understanding "ABM".
3.) I've not looked into dropping the car at all. Roads here are very bad right now, only get marginally better after constant road projects during the warmer months. I need all the suspension travel I can get....
Old 04-26-2022, 11:32 AM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Aqua Blue Metallic.

Yeah roads here are a train wreck, i don't want it stiffer but man there's some guard gap stock eh. I am not talking slamming it but just a subtle drop to clean up the lines. Do you know if these wheels are all the same or were there some made with different offsets? I like your rear end, the spacers look perfect.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:48 AM
detroitex
Rennlist Member

I've seen some different offsets between 991.1/991.2, and wide body/narrow body. My 997.2 narrow body had Carrera S II with 57 front/67 rear offsets, so the Carrera V wheels I used were from a 2012 991.1 narrow body with 54/69 offsets. I think the V part numbers with those offsets are: Frt 991.362.141.02, Rr 991.362.146.02
Old 04-26-2022, 12:15 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by detroitex
I bought a 2010 C2 Cabriolet last year. It had the optional 19" Carrera S II wheels, which someone had painted (very well) black.

The car had a number of other black/racer parts......aggressive front air dam, extra rear spoiler, black stone guards. But I wanted a more refined look.
Instead of repainting the S II back to silver, I found a set of used Carrera V wheels for under $1K on rennlist. These were the standard wheels on the 991, so people are upgrading these wheels, sometimes making them the winter wheel. Bottom line is they can be found rather inexpensive and I think they give the car a clean, almost elegant appearance, but still different from what you normally see on a 997.

The wheels are ALMOST a drop in for the S II. The front offset for the Carrera V wheels moves the front tires 3mm outboard, which is fine. But the rear wheels would bring the tires in 2mm. So I used a 7mm spacer and bolt set I bought for $120 on rennlist, which moves the rear tires out 5mm per side, about flush with the fenders. And now I have two looks.
It was time to replace the 10 yr old TPMS sensors, too. I can recommend these for $77.00 a set on Amazon...just be sure you use your specific vehicle information when searching.

MORESENSOR Signature Series 433MHz TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor 4-Pack | Preprogrammed for Select 450+ European Brand Models | Replacement for 36236798726 | Clamp-in | NX-S003-4

Nice. My 997.1 C4S Cab in Night Blue Metallic had Turbo wheels that looked fantastic on it and I got a set of Apex SM-10s for my winters, stepped down to 18" for better handling in snow/extra sidewall. That worked very well for me.

I definitely second the switch to silver wheels. Any sort of silver or machine faced wheel looks 1000% better on a car, especially something like a 911. The recent trend in black wheels over the past 5-8 years is just an abomination of style. The fact that so many options and so many opt to get black wheels on their 991 and 992s is rather worrisome as it makes such a gorgeous car look ghetto. It's not a Chevy Tahoe.

The following users liked this post:
63mercedes (04-27-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 01:31 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Crunching some numbers here OP. What tyre did you run? The Stock size 235 and 295? Front wheels are 8.5 whereas stock is 8. So to the point, this affects your numbers as i am curious to know how far out your wheels vs tyre is sticking out. When I plug the numbers you provided in (https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=30mm&sr=0mm), I get the following;

FRONT: Tyre 3mm further out, RIM 9mm further out (this sounds about perfect I think)
REAR: 2mm further in, both rim and tyre.

So you added 7mm to the rear which means an extra 5mm total both tyre and rim. Which is what you said but I just wanted to run it through the calculator as I could potentially buy a set with offsets at 54 front and 48 rear. So fronts same as yours but back end the tyre and rim both stick out 19mm more, which sounds a lot.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:47 PM
detroitex
Rennlist Member

My front tires: 235/35R19
Rear tires: 295/30R19

You are correct in the front wheels being 1/2" wider, which really just affects how the tire fits on the rim, or whether you'll scuff the tire or rim if you're up against a curb. Minimally affects the fit of the tire in the wheelwell. The 8" wide originals are the minimum width recommended for the 235 tires....the 8.5" don't pinch the tire beads in so much.

The 48 offset rears you speak of are for a wide body car. Don't buy them: You can space narrow body rims out for a wide body (although that seems like a lot of leverage on the extra long wheel bolts), but no way to bring wide body rims back in for a narrow.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:54 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Yeah 19mm just way too much, ideally around 10 to 12 I think.
myw (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 02:06 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for the post OP.

I have been considering getting some lobsters and painting them gold, now this may be another option to consider
Old 04-26-2022, 02:14 PM
detroitex
Rennlist Member

Yep. I guess some have used 15mm spacers on the rear without the active suspension. The photos I saw look too far out to me. More of the Carrera V wheels will start showing up as the northern climates warm and people swap them our for fancier wheels on their 991s.

As far as lowering your car, I saw your post in the "Let's see your 997" thread. Very nice car, sounds like you did a lot of research to get it. If you go back a few pages to 4/4/2022 there's this photo:

....which looks lowered to me. Maybe you contact this person to see what they did. Remember though, if you start lowering your car it becomes more critical that you don't promote tire contact with the fenders by offsetting the wheels too much. I don't think I would go any lower than a 57mm net offset. Find the narrow body Carrera V wheels at 69mm and use 7-12mm spacers.....10mm might be about right.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:38 PM
detroitex
Rennlist Member

Scalp_em:
I think anything gold would pick up your interior color nicely. Black wheels on a Cabrio look nicer when the top is up, but when you put the top down (which is the only time my car goes out), they no longer have that connection to the top. The interior becomes the exterior accent color. I like lighter colored spokes, too, for the reflection in the store windows when you slow roll by.
I originally wanted silver lobsters but didn't get them because:
- the people who have them know they have something special and aren't dealing
- the wife owns 51% of the car and doesn't like them.
OK. Never mind the first reason.
RB
Scalp_em (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 03:06 PM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 616 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by detroitex
Yep. I guess some have used 15mm spacers on the rear without the active suspension. The photos I saw look too far out to me. More of the Carrera V wheels will start showing up as the northern climates warm and people swap them our for fancier wheels on their 991s.

As far as lowering your car, I saw your post in the "Let's see your 997" thread. Very nice car, sounds like you did a lot of research to get it. If you go back a few pages to 4/4/2022 there's this photo:

....which looks lowered to me. Maybe you contact this person to see what they did. Remember though, if you start lowering your car it becomes more critical that you don't promote tire contact with the fenders by offsetting the wheels too much. I don't think I would go any lower than a 57mm net offset. Find the narrow body Carrera V wheels at 69mm and use 7-12mm spacers.....10mm might be about right.
That's my car in the photo and she is lowered on BC Racing coilovers. I run the Carrera S II wheels from the 997.2 C4S (8x19 offset 57 front / 11x19 offset 67 rear) with 8mm and 15mm spacers front/rear. She rides on Michelin PS4S tires in 235/35 and 305/30 sizes with no rubbing.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:29 PM
detroitex
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, TheMurse. I'm sure NevilleNobody will appreciate the details.....it sounds like he wants his car to sit just like yours. NN: This answers your questions about offsets and spacers.
I do need to make one correction, though...... your 67mm offset rear wheels are from a narrow body, like my C2. The C4S is a wide body with 51 offset rears.
TheMurse (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 03:33 PM
detroitex
Rennlist Member

TheMurse: Just to confirm - your car is a narrow body, right?

Quick Reply: CARRERA V WHEELS