Sponsored by:

Rennkit BTR-3 Bluetooth experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 07:44 PM
finallygotone
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rennkit BTR-3 Bluetooth experience

All, I've read all the threads I can find on Rennkit's BTR-3 bluetooth system for PCM2.1 for 997, but before I pull the trigger on purchasing, I wanted to understand the 12v power requirements.
Some threads say constant 12v is required, some say it can be powered by switched/acc. I obviously don't want to end up re-pairing my phone every time I crank up the car, etc.

Has anyone installed this on their 997 and can you confirm which way you powered it?

I'm hoping that if constant 12v is required that the unit will self-power down or something rather than drain the battery.

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (08-23-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 12:02 PM
Gns30
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I just installed the BTR-3 in mine. I back pinned the harness off the PCM2.1 and used that as the power supply source, its a constant 12V source and I haven't had any drainage issues. I also installed the microphone in the steering column where the factory one would go, but it doesn't work to well in that location. While driving there is a lot of road noise and you have to pretty much yell for anyone to hear you. Hope this helped some.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 12:21 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts

This looks like a Rennkit-badged version of the same one I installed a few weeks ago (mine was the Mr 12v brand).
  • It does require a constant power source
  • The microphone works well if installed at the top of the windshield, to the right of the driver's sun visor (assuming a left hand drive car).
My car previously had a Tooki BT phone interface, with the microphone in that same location, so I replicated that. Removing/reinstalling the interior trim around the windshield isn't too big of a deal (at least on a Cab), the installation is clean, and the audio quality from the microphone is very good.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:02 PM
docman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm considering the BTR-3 (or would it be BTR-3PM???) for my 987.1 CS that has factory NAV, BOSE & phone module. Suggestions, recommendations, comments?
I trust it's more than a FM modulator.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:00 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 181 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by docman
I'm considering the BTR-3 (or would it be BTR-3PM???) for my 987.1 CS that has factory NAV, BOSE & phone module. Suggestions, recommendations, comments?
I trust it's more than a FM modulator.
Yes you need the BTR-3PM for a phone module car. Not an FM modulator. Sits in the fiber optic loop. Have one in my 997.1 Turbo with PCM2.1, like it. More info here: Bluetooth Retrofit Kit - (rennkit.com)
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers

Quick Reply: Rennkit BTR-3 Bluetooth experience