Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canned tune vs custom tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 06:49 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm not tuner expert (or fan really for that matter) but what are we trying to solve for here? I read those before/after numbers and I'm seeing way less than 5% difference on both. Is that even noticeable? I guess I get the part about wanting to keep the air fuel ratio balanced, but...ugh I don't get it. Canned tune vs. custom - sure, I guess. I'd still rather rely on probably hundreds off thousands of hours of factory engineers who've really studied the car rather than squeak out an imperceptible about of statistical power that's probably not completely optimized.

Not intending to be a flamethrower, just don't get it. What's the best case scenario for an N/A engine tune?
Old 01-15-2022, 07:10 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by texass4
I'm not tuner expert (or fan really for that matter) but what are we trying to solve for here? I read those before/after numbers and I'm seeing way less than 5% difference on both. Is that even noticeable? I guess I get the part about wanting to keep the air fuel ratio balanced, but...ugh I don't get it. Canned tune vs. custom - sure, I guess. I'd still rather rely on probably hundreds off thousands of hours of factory engineers who've really studied the car rather than squeak out an imperceptible about of statistical power that's probably not completely optimized.

Not intending to be a flamethrower, just don't get it. What's the best case scenario for an N/A engine tune?
No worries! The purpose of this thread is basically to show that "one tune does not fit all" (on my car) and was NOT an exercise in developing power. This, like anything I really do for my car, is to learn and pass what I have learned to the community. We did this with the E46 M3 dme and passed on all of the information to the forums about how to self tune and unlock all the features on the car.
I had a hunch my car was running rich and in order to determine if my theory was correct, I had to run it on a dyno. Since we saw room for improvement and my car was already at the shop, I went forward with a tune.

Plus I have often wondered how the mods on my car raised the HP. Seems to be in line with everyone else.

2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (01-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Canned tune vs custom tune