Lack of quick response on heel/toe downshifts - Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 01:13 PM
cjarrett
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Lack of quick response on heel/toe downshifts - Carrera S

Minor gripe/question:

I'm noticing that when I do a really quick blip of the throttle I hear a slick 'clack' sound when doing heel/toe downshifts. The clack isn't followed by an appropriate rise of revs. If I am slightly more deliberate with the throttle during the downshift I can get a nice rev match but I'd like to have a bit more response. I would have imagined the throttle-by-wire would allow better response, but I don't recall feeling this in my previous E36/E46 M3's, or maybe not quite as pronounced. Has anyone else noticed this? Perhaps the strength of the actuator on the throttle body is the culprit? Perhaps it's just my 997? It does sound like that noise comes from the throttle body...
Old 12-16-2021, 04:46 PM
Newt Gomez
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're in comfort mode, it's too unresponsive and if it's in sport mode, it's too responsive imo. I haven't liked the throttle mapping on my 997 either, but you do figure it out eventually. It never hurts to check your throttle body for cleanliness as it's a standard service cleaning it after a certain amount of miles.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:57 PM
cjarrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Newt Gomez
If you're in comfort mode, it's too unresponsive and if it's in sport mode, it's too responsive imo. I haven't liked the throttle mapping on my 997 either, but you do figure it out eventually. It never hurts to check your throttle body for cleanliness as it's a standard service cleaning it after a certain amount of miles.
Yeah I drive almost exclusively in Sport mode these days. Maybe it's just too quick?

I'll give it another clean but I cleaned it and the whole intake system earlier this year...
Old 12-16-2021, 05:05 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

The throttle body does make click-clack sounds but I only ever hear them at self test (ignition on and no start). There is a throttle body recalibration process, if you search RL.
The following 2 users liked this post by 997.2GTS:
cjarrett (12-16-2021), Hella-Buggin' (12-17-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 05:37 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts

I think your lack of throttle response is the dual mass flywheel if the car is new to you. I had the same problem when I bought mine and thought the engine should rev faster. I thought there was something wrong with it but it turns out that I just have to be more deliberate with the throttle. A quick stab gets you nothing.

If you have owned it for a while and this is a new problem, the throttle body may be your issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
cjarrett (12-16-2021), Hella-Buggin' (12-17-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 05:51 PM
cjarrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
I think your lack of throttle response is the dual mass flywheel if the car is new to you. I had the same problem when I bought mine and thought the engine should rev faster. I thought there was something wrong with it but it turns out that I just have to be more deliberate with the throttle. A quick stab gets you nothing.

If you have owned it for a while and this is a new problem, the throttle body may be your issue.
Thanks, could be right, the quick stab just doesn't work... Will try the TB reset, and maybe consider a lighter flywheel when I do the clutch someday. Its our secondary car anyways so fun takes a priority 😁
Old 12-16-2021, 06:01 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts

I would keep the flywheel and just learn to drive with it. It works fine, you just have to learn the timing and give it a bit more gas with the stab.
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 09:37 AM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 242 Posts

Interesting comments. I previously had an E92 335is, in which the DBW throttle actually felt like it was delaying response. That car was a DCT, so no need for H/T, but did the lag was one of my few complaints with that car. My C2S feels more 'connected' and responsive, and I actually don't have issues getting the blip I want with or without Sport mode. Granted, I've had time to adjust to the nuance of heel-toeing a 997 (without pedal mods), plus over the years I seem to have developed a pretty stiff, but controllable roll/jab technique. I think you'll adjust and never look back.

Quick Reply: Lack of quick response on heel/toe downshifts - Carrera S