Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wyoming Enthusiast looking for the right 997

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2021 | 01:50 AM
carthoughts
4th Gear

Lightbulb Wyoming Enthusiast looking for the right 997

Hello everyone! I'm glad to be joining the forum. I've been thinking about picking up a 911 Turbo for a while, leaning toward a 997 with a manual. Prices seem a bit inflated right now (as with just about anything), so I'm just trying to keep my eyes open for the right deal. I just sold my GT-R, and have had a few other exotics including an R8, Vantages, a Grand Turismo MC, and BMWs. The only Porsche I have ever owned was a 924.

With the way prices are right now, I'm weighing a Turbo with a manual against some AM Vanquishes, Ferrari 360s, Lamborghini Gallardos, and maybe even a Ferrari FF (the only one without a manual). Each come with their own advantages and disadvantages. The 997 seems to check a lot of my boxes though.

I'm hoping some members have owned some of these other cars (or cars that I've owned in the past) to help me compare them. I live in Wyoming, so cars of this calibre are few and far between. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 10-24-2021 | 08:04 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Welcome!
The following users liked this post:
carthoughts (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021 | 01:01 PM
carthoughts
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Welcome!
Thank you!
Old 10-24-2021 | 01:26 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Welcome. Cannot give you much comparison between the cars you listed and the 997 Turbo. I have driven both a 997.1 Turbo 6 speed and 997.2 Turbo PDK. Both great. Both very fast. Have driven some other cars such as AMG GTS, Ferrari 430, etc. GTS feels more raw and analog than the Turbo. So does 430. Turbo is easier to drive, to me, than the GTS, likely due to the long hood on the GTS. Turbo is very coincidence inspiring due to the AWD. I'd also recommend posting this in the 997 Turbo section for more feedback.
Old 10-24-2021 | 08:43 PM
carthoughts
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Welcome. Cannot give you much comparison between the cars you listed and the 997 Turbo. I have driven both a 997.1 Turbo 6 speed and 997.2 Turbo PDK. Both great. Both very fast. Have driven some other cars such as AMG GTS, Ferrari 430, etc. GTS feels more raw and analog than the Turbo. So does 430. Turbo is easier to drive, to me, than the GTS, likely due to the long hood on the GTS. Turbo is very coincidence inspiring due to the AWD. I'd also recommend posting this in the 997 Turbo section for more feedback.
I appreciate the feedback! That's helpful. A 6-speed is kind of a must for me at this point. This GT-R I had was pushing 800hp, the fastest car I have ever owned, but it really just lacked soul. It wasn't a driver's car at all. All I wanted to do was mash the pedal haha. I really am looking for something that is more of a joy to drive. I miss driving a manual, and I feel like that is part of the equation. I don't mind a little rawness to a car either, in fact, I kind of like the analog feeling. But something that allows you to feel connected and engaged with the road is definitely what I'm after.

And it looks like the thread was moved to the 997 forum, so hopefully that will help!
Old 10-25-2021 | 12:21 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

OP, first welcome! You listed some interesting and fun and high-performance cars as possibilities. I haven't driven any of them except a **** ton of BMWs. All good choices depending on what you are seeking. Based on what you described, the 997 could scratch your itch. There is a broad spectrum to choose from:

GT3: hardcore in everyway. Fun as hell and probably the best driver experience but challenging if you are not driving it like you stole it. Suspension is stiff, clutch is firm, it is loud (no sound deadening), flywheel rattles, etc. That said, this would be the pick of the litter for me. I regret selling my GT3. It is the king of the hill, IMO. It is quite special but prices are ridonkulous. They will likely never go down from here. LeBron James.

Turbo: big power, more of a GT, AWD. Shaq.

GTS: Carrera S turned to 11: more power, all the performance options, widebody, highly collectible, but spendy. Kobe.

Carrera S: Best all-arounder and combination of power, performance, handling. Steph Curry.

Carrera: terrific car and is 95% of what the S has for less money. If you don't care about all the bells and whistles, this is a fantastic car. A good 6th man.

Last edited by Busta Rib; 10-25-2021 at 12:23 PM.
carthoughts (10-26-2021)
Old 10-25-2021 | 04:58 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Busta Rib

GT3: hardcore in everyway. Fun as hell and probably the best driver experience but challenging if you are not driving it like you stole it. Suspension is stiff, clutch is firm, it is loud (no sound deadening), flywheel rattles, etc. That said, this would be the pick of the litter for me. I regret selling my GT3. It is the king of the hill, IMO. It is quite special but prices are ridonkulous. They will likely never go down from here. LeBron James.

GTS: Carrera S turned to 11: more power, all the performance options, widebody, highly collectible, but spendy. Kobe.

Carrera S: Best all-arounder and combination of power, performance, handling. Steph Curry.

Carrera: terrific car and is 95% of what the S has for less money. If you don't care about all the bells and whistles, this is a fantastic car. A good 6th man.
Great comparison and analogies. I would only disagree with the fact that GT3 is challenging in any way. I find it no more difficult to drive than any other 911, unless the stiff clutch is an issue for someone. The flywheel rattle is not an issue in the non-RS variants unless modified by a prior owner.
carthoughts (10-26-2021)
Old 10-25-2021 | 08:30 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

997 GT3 or Cayman GT4 if you want a raw, analog driver’s car.

Last edited by 850tgul; 10-25-2021 at 08:32 PM.
carthoughts (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021 | 01:09 AM
carthoughts
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
OP, first welcome! You listed some interesting and fun and high-performance cars as possibilities. I haven't driven any of them except a **** ton of BMWs. All good choices depending on what you are seeking. Based on what you described, the 997 could scratch your itch. There is a broad spectrum to choose from:

Thank you! This is a good layout of the options haha. I think I have kind of made up my mind on a Turbo. I wouldn't mind a GT3, but as you said, prices are climbing up there, and one might be out of reach at the moment. I have been looking into a few Turbos, and I think I'm just trying to weigh them against some of the other cars in their weight class. I pretty much have myself convinced though haha. Anything advice on options that are must-haves?

Quick Reply: Wyoming Enthusiast looking for the right 997