Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheeler Dealers does an episode on Porsche 997

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 11:20 AM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 385 Posts

I dont get it. Why cant Mike keep a mechanic? Is this his 3rd?
Old 10-14-2021, 12:15 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Amazing how fast they rebuilt that motor and got it back in the car and on the road ! We regularly here of rebuilds taking a year to complete from start to finish. They made it seem like it was a piece of cake to get done.

Also, I have said this before even factoring the exchange rate how much cheaper it is to have a rebuild done in England when compared to North America. One thing about the Brit's craftsmanship is still alive and well when compared to this side of the pond where we tend to discard items much more frequently instead of rebuilding or repairing them. They even have mobile clutch repair ! where they will repair your clutch on-site !!

o
Old 10-14-2021, 01:17 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

What always amazes me with Wheeler Dealers is that they calculate their profit based on purchase price and parts costs, totally ignoring the cost of labor.
I suspect on the 997.1 build, if they had included cost of labor they would be been well in the red
Old 10-14-2021, 01:38 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
What always amazes me with Wheeler Dealers is that they calculate their profit based on purchase price and parts costs, totally ignoring the cost of labor.
I suspect on the 997.1 build, if they had included cost of labor they would be been well in the red
As Sporty says above, it's kind of assumed that you take some parts of these shows with a grain of salt - that negotiation at the end for example - call me cynical but I doubt it was a real buyer ;-)

The lead on the show 'Rust Valley Restorers' has admitted in interview that they lose money on most of the cars they feature on the show.....
Old 10-14-2021, 02:46 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

A lot of these automotive shows are very cool to watch but have ended due to the extra stress of having the video production in the garage all the time; look at what happened to FantomWorks and Gas Monkey Garage. I remember seeing a documentary about Fantom and how Dan mentioned the many takes they had to do. Good to see a 997 build but what we don't see is the cost and amount of work that actually takes place for this episode to take place. 3 different mechanics under Mike Brewer seems as though Mike could be difficult to deal with or maybe the production staff is too much.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:27 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

(deleted). So I gather from the video that Hartech let's you run their CNC machine yourself if you buy from them? Haha, they should charge extra for that.

Edited my comment as I thought one of the guys in the video was Baz but now I think I was wrong.

Last edited by PV997; 10-14-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:08 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
I dont get it. Why cant Mike keep a mechanic? Is this his 3rd?
Mike made the big move to LA and Edd came with him but it was quickly apparent they couldn't do the show the same way. In the UK a crew would film Edd working on a car all day. That's not really done in the US due to different labor rules. This meant a little movie magic and they would have multiple mechanics working off camera. Edd did not go for this and left. Ant took over and the show was essentially the same. The show moved back to the UK after a couple of years but Ant stayed in LA (for various reasons). Now it's former Formula 1 mechanic Elvis. He doesn't have the charm of Edd or the charisma of Ant but he has know-how. The show is a bit different in that way now. Instead of repairs you can do yourself Elvis taps his Formula 1 connections. He shows you much more technically advanced modifications. I like the new direction.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:06 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
(deleted). So I gather from the video that Hartech let's you run their CNC machine yourself if you buy from them? Haha, they should charge extra for that.

Edited my comment as I thought one of the guys in the video was Baz but now I think I was wrong.

I wouldn’t want them to let me run their cnc machine on my block lol.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:15 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
I agree with your statement completely and have said the same to myself over the years, however I believe the original premise of the show was a shade tree mechanic (Edd) performing repairs a determined DIYer could perform. With that in mind, I felt they were showing how that DIYer could buy a problem vehicle and treat the repairs as a hobby and have a running, driving outcome attributed to their spare time and a few beers.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:33 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

It's like all this super coll sh*t showing up in abandoned units in Storage Wars. OMG this is Elvis Presley's original birth certificate with his footprint and somebody just left it here.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:00 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Hartech's site say they are set up to do 1 of these re-builds per day, is there a US shop that is equivalent?
Old 12-02-2021, 10:43 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
Hartech's site say they are set up to do 1 of these re-builds per day, is there a US shop that is equivalent?

Holy $%@#, how many bad Porsche engine's are there?
Old 06-29-2023, 02:05 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Just adding an updated video... Nice to seem them visit Hartech and address the bore scoring in this example.

The following 2 users liked this post by qikqbn:
Graufuchs (06-29-2023), Slakker (06-29-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 05:18 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 471 Likes on 223 Posts

Wheeler dealers has been running 20 years. Ed China featured between 2003 and 2017 (contrary to what some have said in this thread, I'd say that's hardly a bad run in TV terms)
Ant Anstead featured between 2017 and 2021, those that know Ant, will know he was experiencing a somewhat turbulent time in his private life with a certain BFH, which is now all done and dusted and he's moved on to better things (and which appear to have turned out rather well) :

That's him with his son, daughter and his good lady (if you don't know who she is, Google it)

Ant now heads this up, with others : https://radford.co/

This is the first part of an excellent two part interview with Mike Brewer which explains much and delves into the Wheeler Dealers history :

The following users liked this post:
MauritsK (07-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Wheeler Dealers does an episode on Porsche 997